Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 30, 2018, 08:01 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default Decent PC game controller?

Well, I'm quite enjoying No Man's Sky (NMS) these days but flying with the keyboard and mouse is not great. I have a lot of money invested in my Warthogs but getting them to work with NMS isn't worth the effort I don't think. Consensus on the web seems to be that given the arcade style flight in NMS the game controller seems to be the way to go.

I have a Wii U Pro Controller that people have had working with PC via another piece of software, and I thought that might be the answer, but it isn't working well for me. Sometimes it gets detected then just drops and won't get picked up again.

XBOX controller for PC seems to be a popular one and I may go that route but it is a little on the expensive side.

Do any of you have a PC game controller you would recommend, or is the XBOX one really the way to go?
i7 8700K @ 4.8GHz (Swiftech H220) | ASUS Maximus X Code | 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4-3200 | ASUS ROG GTX 1080 Ti Strix OC ver. | EX920 512GB, MX100 512GB, MX300 2TB | EVGA Supernova 850W G2 | Meshify C | Mayflower Electronics O2+ODAC, USB sound for mic, Sennheiser PC360 SE | Acer Predator X34, BenQ 21.5" | Windows 10 Pro
Old July 30, 2018, 08:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Have not looked back since I made the move to a steam controller, sure the trackpad takes a bit of getting used to but sooooooo many ways to customize it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old July 30, 2018, 08:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

SG's mentioned the Steam controller, but it was never my cup of tea.

I'd honestly say you can't go wrong with either the Xbox One Controller or the Dualshock 4 (aka PS4 controller). The dualshock is bluetooth and integrates well with steam and big picture and has an onboard battery. The touchpad on the front can serve as a pseudo-mouse if you set it up properly, admitedly not a very good one though, more like a 90s laptop touchpad. Battery life is usually a bit worse than the Xbox one due to the touchpad and large bar light on the top/back of the controller.

The Xbox One gamepads are either wifi or bluetooth (only the oldest ones are wifi, if it's got a 3.5mm jack it's bluetooth), you have to supply your own battery or buy an Xbox or charging dock battery for it so battery life will vary a bit depending on what you use them for. It doesn't have the touchpad, just an 'Xbox' button on the top center that can be used to launch steam or big picture, etc.
The biggest advantage is that the Dpad on the Xbox one controller is a proper Nintendo style 'plus' Dpad which is miles better than the 4 directional buttons on the Dualshock. If you play fighting games it's infinitely better.
Otherwise they're largely identical in terms of in game function and pretty much all modern games will automatically set up the controller on loading the app. Both are very plug and play.

My personal preference is the Xbox One. I find it has nicer triggers and D-pad and is a little more comfortable but YRMV. That being said I have, and have used both and neither is a bad choice.

Avoid the old PS3 and Xbox 360 controllers for PC. The newer ones don't need special drivers or adapters, or a unique wireless USB adapter.

Also look into Controller companion on Steam. Really bridges the gap between the gamepads and Steam controller in my opinion and will let you do basic windows controlling without swapping from KB+M to gamepad and back.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/3...ler_Companion/

Last edited by FreeKnight; July 30, 2018 at 08:55 PM. Reason: Additional info
Old July 30, 2018, 10:28 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Are Steam controllers even sold any more? It seems like they're only sold by third parties at vastly inflated prices.
Old July 30, 2018, 10:58 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Xbox one controller all the way. I use the wireless dongle. I tried just using bluetooth and found it glitchy.
Old July 31, 2018, 02:36 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

+1 for the wireless Xbox on e controller.
Old July 31, 2018, 04:23 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Thanks all! Great info and waiting for me when I got up this morning. What service!

I didn't have a lot of luck finding Steam controllers either. Lowest price on Amazon.ca, from other sellers, is $124.99. That is new though. Didn't know if it was worth the extra cost. And I did figure since XBox controllers are Microsoft, should be no lack of Windows support there. Just wanted to make sure it was worth the money from real experience.

So this one here: https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...12356078.aspx?

That includes the wireless dongle you are referring to SugarJ?

FreeKnight, I did see your standalone post about that application. I'll definitely check that out when I get one.

UPDATE: Man! There isn't a single local location that has any in stock!! How am I supposed to get instant gratification that way?!
i7 8700K @ 4.8GHz (Swiftech H220) | ASUS Maximus X Code | 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4-3200 | ASUS ROG GTX 1080 Ti Strix OC ver. | EX920 512GB, MX100 512GB, MX300 2TB | EVGA Supernova 850W G2 | Meshify C | Mayflower Electronics O2+ODAC, USB sound for mic, Sennheiser PC360 SE | Acer Predator X34, BenQ 21.5" | Windows 10 Pro

Last edited by Lysrin; July 31, 2018 at 05:53 AM.
Old July 31, 2018, 06:56 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lysrin View Post
Thanks all! Great info and waiting for me when I got up this morning. What service!

I didn't have a lot of luck finding Steam controllers either. Lowest price on Amazon.ca, from other sellers, is $124.99. That is new though. Didn't know if it was worth the extra cost. And I did figure since XBox controllers are Microsoft, should be no lack of Windows support there. Just wanted to make sure it was worth the money from real experience.

So this one here: https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...12356078.aspx?

That includes the wireless dongle you are referring to SugarJ?

FreeKnight, I did see your standalone post about that application. I'll definitely check that out when I get one.

UPDATE: Man! There isn't a single local location that has any in stock!! How am I supposed to get instant gratification that way?!
I'll continue the XBO controller love. Made my enjoyment of Neir Automata much more enjoyable, and FFXV

Yep, that one comes with the dongle. I'd check Amazon if your local big box stores are OOS. Thats where I got mine.
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old July 31, 2018, 07:11 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
I'll continue the XBO controller love. Made my enjoyment of Neir Automata much more enjoyable, and FFXV

Yep, that one comes with the dongle. I'd check Amazon if your local big box stores are OOS. Thats where I got mine.
Looks the to be same sale price on Amazon.ca so I'll got that route.

Resisted getting a game controller for a long time given how much I prefer kb+m control, but I have to admit there are games that play better with them, as you said, especially in this port-from-console-to-PC world.

Any of you buy a charge kit or dock or do you just use rechargeable batteries?
Old July 31, 2018, 07:43 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I use rechargeable AA's in my PC controller as I have a bunch. I use a dock for the kids' Xbox downstairs.