Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 4, 2018, 08:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Temps on Stock 4790k seem too high

I was thinking of finally taking a stab at OC'ing my 4790k. Before fooling around I decided to check temps with realtemp and a Prime95 Blend test.

Promptly hit TJMax across all cores within 15 minutes. Swapped out the PH-TC14PE (Phanteks version of the Noctua triple fan), for my Prolimatech megashadow. Temps still aren't great.

I've swapped the PH-TC14PE back in and replaced the center pressure screw that never really went that tight. I've gotten some pretty decent improvements, Idles are roughly around 40C, but I'm still hitting TJ Max on one of my cores but seem to settle around 67-73C after that and eventually bump back into the 80s depending on where the test's at, I've pulled the panels off the side and top just to make sure it's not starved for air. Typing this as Prime's working and it doesn't feel like there's any significant issues or slowdown.

Should I expect Prime95 to hit that temp, or should I even use Prime95 anymore? I'm not getting any BSOD's or anything, that just seemed hot. I haven't OC'd anything since I had an i7 920 so I'm a little rusty :O

Edit: I've just realized that realtemp is saying I'm running 4.4GHz at the top. I am using my RAM's XMP. That's just the Turbo/Boost and not the base clock correct? Or would the XMP profile have change it to a base clock of over the stock 4 GHz. (CPUID says I have a 44 multiplier).

PS: Ok more than a little rusty :S

Last edited by FreeKnight; November 4, 2018 at 08:16 PM.
Old November 4, 2018, 10:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yes, that is the turbo boost clock.
Old November 4, 2018, 10:59 PM
Allstar

What does CPUID say during prime for voltage and are you running 8 threads? Your BIOS may be automatically running all cores up to 4.4 and may be pushing volts a bit to do it.
Old November 5, 2018, 12:07 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

With the right mobo and cooling you can reliably get to 4.7 with a 4790K. Even up to 4.8 is possible if you delid. I had a Asus Z97 Deluxe with custom cooling with a thick 420mm rad so YMMV. I OC'd it to see what it would do but really ran it at stock most of the time for my purposes.
Old November 5, 2018, 08:29 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyrie View Post
What does CPUID say during prime for voltage and are you running 8 threads? Your BIOS may be automatically running all cores up to 4.4 and may be pushing volts a bit to do it.
CPUID is below;

Voltage is high at stock for a 4790k. I think I'm going to try and play around and see if I can get a stable 4.3-4.5 and drop voltages a little, this cooler is massive so I should have some leeway.
Attached Images