Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 2, 2008, 01:53 AM
Rookie

also i'd like to say thanks so far guys..
Old March 2, 2008, 09:55 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumdace View Post
tried 425.. booted to windows but was unstable..

lowered to 410.. stable.. and i found 2.5.. it was hiding..

also.. in this picture i also decided to include SPD stuff.. can u tell me why it says my ram is PC-6400 when i know for a fact that it is PC-8500 (or maybe its labelled as PC-8500 but NCIX sent me the wrong stuff?)
Dude....sometimes there is an error in your EPP readings. But as you can see in CPU-Z, your RAM runs at 512.5MHz! Which translates into 1025MHz right?

The next step would be what we've discussed before! Up your voltages to 1.35V! And try to get higher!
Old March 3, 2008, 12:25 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Dr. Silver View Post
Dude....sometimes there is an error in your EPP readings. But as you can see in CPU-Z, your RAM runs at 512.5MHz! Which translates into 1025MHz right?

The next step would be what we've discussed before! Up your voltages to 1.35V! And try to get higher!
So its a possiblity that my voltages arent high enough to handle any higher?

Because so far im looking at good temps.. idle its only climbed a couple degrees, sits at around 39-40c...

at load i dont know.. does ne 1 know a program that will monitor my temp for like 20 minutes while i play and make a graph or something?

i hate having to minimize in the middle of a game to check the temp on coretemp
Old March 3, 2008, 01:08 AM
Rookie

got it at 425x9, 1.33 something voltage...
so ram is now at 1062..

stable.. temps playing audiosurf are like 45c, and thats max graphics detail.. but its not a super demanding game.. i want to run crysis maxed for a while and see what that does..

but i need a temp monitoring program
Old March 3, 2008, 01:26 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I'm home again! Just stepped in at the right time I see! Congratz on the OC! Now CoreTemp, if you leave it running in the background will save the temps in a log file....Just check the times when you started playing....! Like I said earlier... if your machine crashes under these circumstances (where you're rig is at now) the most probable cause would be undervolting! Just kick it up a notch. Someone said earlier that this board suffers from a Vdroop. That basically means when you set 1.45V in BIOS for your CPU...it will end up giving you're CPU 1.40V/1.41V. So keep that in mind. To go any higher....set your voltage at 1.45V and see how high you get!
Old March 3, 2008, 01:58 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

It shouldn't crash. A lot have this same setup and running at 4.0GHz with 1.35vcore.
Old March 3, 2008, 02:30 PM
Rookie

Weird random crashes.. hasnt crashed in a day or so.. but sometimes (like when i ran 3dmark06, trial version) the screen freezes and i have to force an hard reboot...

also.. with coretemp... i set it to monitor while i played lotro, 1680x1050, maxed out.. and i dont know whether i have a really good cooler or if coretemp is busted.. but it gave me a max of 43c under load.. (i have a thermalright ultra-120 extra.. made sure to put thermal paste evenly on both sides, heatsink and cpu, combine that with an antec 900 case, i have the heatsink horizontal with the fan blowing through the heatsink up out the top fan of the case, its a 200mm, lots of airflow, so maybe i just have really good cooling?)

i mean it may be a good cooler, but i would expect it to get higher than 43c...
Old March 3, 2008, 06:04 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
i mean it may be a good cooler, but i would expect it to get higher than 43c...

My E8400 maxes out at 46deg at 4.0 Ghz, and I've got a whack load of fans in my case. I've got this nice cyclone effect going on, I can feel the air moving big time when I put my hand down by the CPU.

So with a better cooler than mine, I think 43c is probably about right.

What's your vCore? that has a huge effect on temps too. I'm at about 1.34 IIRC. Whoops, read back further and found it. 1.32v and 43c sounds about right. That will climb rapidly with vCore increases, keep an eye on it.
Old March 3, 2008, 06:19 PM
Rookie

yeah but this is 43 load...

oh and i downloaded HWmonitor.. i think the highest i saw it get (cause it records maximum) was 44c, so ive tried like 3 different programs.. i think its just that i got good cooling going on..

but then i checked my GPU.. lol it goes up to 65.. cant be good for my 8800GTS.. but i mean what can i do besides buy an aftermarket cooler... maybe for my next upgrade
Old March 3, 2008, 06:28 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
yeah but this is 43 load...

oh and i downloaded HWmonitor.. i think the highest i saw it get (cause it records maximum) was 44c, so ive tried like 3 different programs.. i think its just that i got good cooling going on..

but then i checked my GPU.. lol it goes up to 65.. cant be good for my 8800GTS.. but i mean what can i do besides buy an aftermarket cooler... maybe for my next upgrade
Ya, mine is 46 under load. I was reinforcing that your readings are probably correct. Air flow is the key, the more air moving around and out of your case, the more heat it can carry away. Simple physics.

The GPU's do run hotter, but the max temp allowed is higher than the CPU cores. But yes, an aftermarket GPU cooler like the HR-03 is a wise investment. $45 cost to protect a $350 investment. You spent more on your video card than your CPU, why not protect it too?