Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 21, 2018, 09:37 AM
Rookie

Default CF-19 issues

I've recently gotten my hands on a CF-19 in decent condition through work. Can't get into the darn thing though since its running WindowXP, I have no idea what the log-in info is, and none of the back doors I can find are working. So...

I was interested in wiping it and running some kind of a Linux distro on it and was hoping to load it off a USB. Ive gotten as far as getting the thing to USB boot but I can't find a proper install file. I tried ubuntu but it either wasn't the right file set or I'm doing something dumb, possibly a combination of both

Attached is a screen cap of the files I'm using. Thoughts on what I might be doing wrong or what to do here?
Attached Images

Old February 21, 2018, 09:57 AM
Hall Of Fame

Nobody is going to really help with this since you are new and have 1 post. My suggestion is do some google work as there is lots of help for this.
Old February 21, 2018, 10:39 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

As enaberif said, lots of help out there in Google land for this ;) To point you in the right direction to start you need to look for a bootable Linux distro and get that onto your bootable USB and install from there. You should be able to find that in the downloads of nearly any current Linux distro. You have it USB booting, so you are on your way. You have two options usually: installing from the bootable USB to run the OS off the internal drive or running a live version off of the USB media.
Old February 21, 2018, 05:13 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I would suggest using this: https://unetbootin.github.io/ to create your USB. That should take care of it for you. Then you should just need to boot the laptop from the USB and (hopefully) it'll kick off the install.
Old February 21, 2018, 06:15 PM
Hall Of Fame

why bang your head

take it back to work an give to IT so they can wipe company passwords
Old February 22, 2018, 07:59 AM
Rookie

Thanks for the push in the right direction. I'll up date when I've made some progress.

As far as why not take it back to work? That easy and I don't learn by having other people do things for me.