Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old July 27, 2017, 03:19 PM
Dwayne's Avatar
Allstar
F@H
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Courtenay, BC
Posts: 999

My System Specs

Default Buying Windows 10 Pro

So, I am thinking of creating a new system and it will be Windows based. The old system has a Win7 license upgraded to Win10 when that was available. So, I don't plan on reusing the Win7/Win10 as I will sell it with the system it is on now.

Now comes the question/discussion. It will cost me north of $160 if I buy Windows 10 Pro from any retailer. But I see on eBay and other places that I can get a license and a "broken motherboard" for pennies (comparatively speaking). I have always bit the bullet and paid retail when I built a new system. I felt that it was less headaches in the long run, but perhaps I have been naive and I should check the other road.

From my minor Google search it seems that these resellers are skirting the terms and conditions, but staying within the just legal side of them.

Has anyone else utilized alternatives to retail for their own OEM system builds?

Here is an example:

https://www.kinguin.net/category/194...ional-oem-key/

And here is an extreme example:

GENUINE WINDOWS 10 PRO 32 / 64BIT OEM ORIGINAL LICENSE KEY- SCRAP PC | eBay

And this:

GENUINE WINDOWS 10 PRO 32 / 64BIT ORIGINAL LICENSE KEY SCRAP PC | eBay

Opinions? I can afford the retail price, but then I ask myself, why?
__________________
Dwayne's Rig - Asus Prime Z370-A : i7 8700k : Corsair Vengeance 32 GB DDR4-3000 : Samsung - 960 EVO NVMe 500 GB Boot : Muskin 1 TB Reactor SATA : Crucial MX 500 1 TB SATA m.2 : Corsair RM650x PSU : Corsair H100i V2: Fractal Design Meshify C : EVGA RTX 2080 XC Ultra Gaming
HTPC - MSI B360-M Gaming Plus : i3 8100 : 8 GB G Skill Ripjaws V Series: EVGA 500W 80plus : EVGA GTX 1050 SC : NMedia HTPC Case: Adata 240 GB SSD Boot
Tablet - Asus Surface clone
Wife's Rig - MSI GL72M 7RDX
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old July 27, 2017, 04:06 PM
JD's Avatar
JD JD is offline
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 8,654

My System Specs

Default

You can find a lot of people doing similar business here: https://www.reddit.com/r/microsoftsoftwareswap/. At the very least, you can scroll through the comments and see if other people had success or not.

That being said, it's an extreme YMMV, these are all grey market keys and technically illegal.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old July 27, 2017, 06:00 PM
ern88's Avatar
Allstar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posts: 756

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwayne View Post
So, I am thinking of creating a new system and it will be Windows based. The old system has a Win7 license upgraded to Win10 when that was available. So, I don't plan on reusing the Win7/Win10 as I will sell it with the system it is on now.

Now comes the question/discussion. It will cost me north of $160 if I buy Windows 10 Pro from any retailer. But I see on eBay and other places that I can get a license and a "broken motherboard" for pennies (comparatively speaking). I have always bit the bullet and paid retail when I built a new system. I felt that it was less headaches in the long run, but perhaps I have been naive and I should check the other road.

From my minor Google search it seems that these resellers are skirting the terms and conditions, but staying within the just legal side of them.

Has anyone else utilized alternatives to retail for their own OEM system builds?

Here is an example:

https://www.kinguin.net/category/194...ional-oem-key/

And here is an extreme example:

GENUINE WINDOWS 10 PRO 32 / 64BIT OEM ORIGINAL LICENSE KEY- SCRAP PC | eBay

And this:

GENUINE WINDOWS 10 PRO 32 / 64BIT ORIGINAL LICENSE KEY SCRAP PC | eBay

Opinions? I can afford the retail price, but then I ask myself, why?
Well, I have Windows 10 PRO oem. I changed my motherboard and everything. It wouldn't activate at first. But I did phone activation. And it worked. It reactivated.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old July 27, 2017, 06:13 PM
KaptCrunch's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ontario
Posts: 4,005
Default

pimped out key's for sure on social media best 139cad from ms this way you'll get the updates with copy keys zero support
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old July 27, 2017, 06:25 PM
Dwayne's Avatar
Allstar
F@H
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Courtenay, BC
Posts: 999

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptCrunch View Post
pimped out key's for sure on social media best 139cad from ms this way you'll get the updates with copy keys zero support
That is what I am leaning towards. I need to do some reading on Home and Pro differences again. I think they curtailed the Pro's ability WRT updates, which was the primary use I had.

I guess you pay and take chances or just pay knowing you did the "right thing" and not worry about updates, grey market, dupe keys, etc.
__________________
Dwayne's Rig - Asus Prime Z370-A : i7 8700k : Corsair Vengeance 32 GB DDR4-3000 : Samsung - 960 EVO NVMe 500 GB Boot : Muskin 1 TB Reactor SATA : Crucial MX 500 1 TB SATA m.2 : Corsair RM650x PSU : Corsair H100i V2: Fractal Design Meshify C : EVGA RTX 2080 XC Ultra Gaming
HTPC - MSI B360-M Gaming Plus : i3 8100 : 8 GB G Skill Ripjaws V Series: EVGA 500W 80plus : EVGA GTX 1050 SC : NMedia HTPC Case: Adata 240 GB SSD Boot
Tablet - Asus Surface clone
Wife's Rig - MSI GL72M 7RDX
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old July 27, 2017, 09:32 PM
sswilson's Avatar
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 17,795

My System Specs

Default

The biggest benefit (IMO) to pro these days is the ability to turn off cortana.

The other option would be to find an old unused pro or ultimate 7 key which can be used to do a fresh install of W10 pro.
__________________
ASUS ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WiFi AC) / i7 8700K / 2X 8G XPG Spectrix D40 (3000) / XFX XTR 750 / ASUS Strix GTX 1070ti
AZZA Titan 240 / Custom WC / Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD / Intel 760p 512GB NVMe / Seagate Barracuda 1TB / ASUS SWIFT PG279Q
Dell Optiplex 3020 / Intel Core i3 i3-4160 / EVGA GT 1030 SC / 6GB DDR3 / Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD/ Samsung 27" 1080p (Curved)
Dell G3 - i5 8300H / HP EX920 512GB NVME / 2X8GB HyperX Impact / 1TB SSHD / GTX 1050ti / N156HHE-GA1 120HZ Monitor
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old July 30, 2017, 07:57 AM
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Richmond Hill, Ontario
Posts: 166
Default

I've used Kinguin twice and can confirm they give legit keys. I even pay the extra $7 for buyer protection for peace of mind. $45 CAD for Win 10 Pro seemed good to me :)

They will give you instructions to call in and then your key gets activated, no issues.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old August 2, 2017, 09:50 AM
Dark Knight
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
You can find a lot of people doing similar business here: https://www.reddit.com/r/microsoftsoftwareswap/. At the very least, you can scroll through the comments and see if other people had success or not.

That being said, it's an extreme YMMV, these are all grey market keys and technically illegal.
However the Reddit users charge almost 10x more than what the OP's eBay links charge for a single key. Considering the keys are practically the same I don't see how they can justify charging 10x more for the same key.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Android Jelly Beans more Windows than Microsoft Windows 8 botat29 O/S's, Drivers & General Software 18 May 24, 2014 08:25 AM
Are all windows 7 programs backwards compatable with windows 8? Chris65478 O/S's, Drivers & General Software 5 December 5, 2012 08:14 AM
Problems with buying Windows 7 Ultimate Antanas O/S's, Drivers & General Software 17 August 5, 2011 03:44 AM
Windows 7 Installation Problems: Stuck at Expanding Windows Fles flightsimnerd Troubleshooting 9 February 16, 2010 02:57 PM
Windows 7 Boxed Units Outsell Windows Vista by 234% FiXT Press Releases & Tech News 0 November 6, 2009 12:41 PM