Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 1, 2008, 12:03 PM
MVP

ChuckleBrother,

Don't lose ANY sleep over this. I have received a few similar emails like yours from Cogeco from downloading movies from bittorrent. Basically Roger's forwarded the email to you so they can cover their ass. Cogeco never disconnected me even though they got a few of those emails in a single month. No legal action was taken.

I don't understand why people use bittorrent when usenet is so much better and faster. That's why I stopped using bittorrent.
Old October 1, 2008, 05:31 PM
Allstar
F@H

Sue them for 10 Billion, if you make the news they might settle for a Mil.
That crayola writing is bad, clearly you've suffered. Put me on the jury, I got your back!
Old October 1, 2008, 07:10 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_pulse View Post
ChuckleBrother,

Don't lose ANY sleep over this. I have received a few similar emails like yours from Cogeco from downloading movies from bittorrent. Basically Roger's forwarded the email to you so they can cover their ass. Cogeco never disconnected me even though they got a few of those emails in a single month. No legal action was taken.

I don't understand why people use bittorrent when usenet is so much better and faster. That's why I stopped using bittorrent.
What exactly is usenet actually?

PM or link, or if the OP & mods don't mind, please post it up here. A fair bit I guess, so I'll leave it up to you.

Never heard of these emails either, hope nothing bad comes of it.

Last edited by Fracture; October 1, 2008 at 07:37 PM.
Old October 1, 2008, 08:01 PM
Hall Of Fame

i believe usenet is very old network [and maybe have some newsgroups]... almost similar to bittorrent... but bittorrent is little better due to popularity and free...

i also want to add... i found out that some big company (like here mention about it) attempt to snoope my computer... >.<
NEW: customize case, XFX 750W, i7 4770k, supreme hf, GA-Z87X-OC Force, 16gb gskill ripjaws 2133mhz , xfx hd6950 CF. 128gb intel 520, wd blue and toshiba 1tb, mcp355 + EK-XRES , 2x ar697, 2x PXM360, 12x AC F12 fans, 12 x shroud, STT 123W fan filter. 2442.88CDN
OLD: customize case, hx100, i7 920, supreme hf, x58 sabertooth, 3gbx2 ram of ripjaws, xfx hd6950 CF. vertex 2 60gb, seagate and hitachi 1tb, dual mcp355 with ek rex v2, 2x koolance ar697, 2x mcr320, 6x zm-f3 fans.
Old October 1, 2008, 08:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Usenet is Newsgroups. You can access usenet if you have an e-mail program such as Outlook Express.
Old October 1, 2008, 10:48 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BALISTX View Post
Usenet is Newsgroups. You can access usenet if you have an e-mail program such as Outlook Express.
That's one way of doing it. But yes, usenet is essentially newsgroups. I've only been using usenet for perhaps a year or two. And I tell ya its way better than using bittorent IMHO.

You CAN use your ISPs news server to get "files" from the various newsgroups, but some ISPs hide the good news groups and/or a lot of files seem to be incomplete. There a lot of usenet services that are way better than the ISPs. Giganews is one of them. A very good usenet service I might add. Giganews offers for $24 a month 240 retention days (which means that the "files" stay on their server for 240 days from the day they were posted before being purged), SSL Encryption w/ 10 bonus connections and UNLIMITED bandwidth allowance.

Next you need a nice little program such as newsleecher to download the newsgroups files. There are a few nice usenet websites that just like bittorent, searches for a file you want.

With usenet, say there is a file that is aboot 700mb that you want. It takes only 15 minutes or less to download a 700mb using usenet. Well for me anyways, some people probably get faster speeds. Also there is no throttling on newsgroups from what I know. With bittorent it takes you more than 15 minutes to download a 700mb file and the possibility of it being baited by the ESA.

As CTA stated, bittorent is a lot easier to use and its free. You don't need to pay for a monthly service to download files with bittorent and as long as someone is seeding the file, you can get it. With newsgroups its best to pay for a usenet service like gignews rather than use your ISPs newserver. And with newsgroups, usually after 120 days (depending on which usenet service you have) the files are purged, but if you ask nicely in the newsgroups, someone will repost the files.

Personally paying $24 for a usenet service is worth it compared to using bittorent. Usenet is faster and safer. Takes me aboot 1hr to download 4gigs.
Old October 2, 2008, 12:22 AM
Hall Of Fame

Usenet is not free and is very limited.

You can use your local ISP but they'll have stripped pretty much anything good from it at all.

For example:
Easynews Big Gig: $29.94 for 150 Gigabytes or 30 days, which ever comes first and up to 204 days of retention.

150gb can be super easy to download on usenet.. so me personally I'd prefer to save the $30 and just go about it other means.
Old October 2, 2008, 01:31 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Usenet is not free and is very limited.

You can use your local ISP but they'll have stripped pretty much anything good from it at all.

For example:
Easynews Big Gig: $29.94 for 150 Gigabytes or 30 days, which ever comes first and up to 204 days of retention.

150gb can be super easy to download on usenet.. so me personally I'd prefer to save the $30 and just go about it other means.
That's what I meant. It's free if you use your ISPs news server, but like you said, they stripped all the good newsgroups to leech from. So really you have no choice but to use a usenet service. You're right, 150gb can go by very quickly on usenet. Which is why I like Giganews, they have unlimited bandwidth, so you can download to your hearts content...well until you reach your ISPs download/upload cap.

I guess it really depends on how fast you want your files. And if you are willing to pay an extra $24 a month to download them faster. Like I stated, I personally think its worth the extra $24 a month to pay for a usenet service to download 4gb within an hour and not have to worrying about baited files and being throttled.
Old October 3, 2008, 05:35 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Well neither Rogers not the ESA have responded to my emails, so nuts to them I say.
Old October 3, 2008, 07:32 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckleBrother View Post
Well neither Rogers not the ESA have responded to my emails, so nuts to them I say.
It was mentioned here that they just did it to cover their asses. They won't corrispond about it again until they get another notice.