Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 7, 2019, 11:20 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by clshades View Post
The nay sayers about the 9900k haven't even seen what it can do with a 5ghz overclock. It barely affects.the temps either.
Intel for gaming all the way. I won't get into its HEVC ass whooping. It literally destroys a long list of Xeon processors that cost 3x more.

I do have to say it is an amazing Chip....but a little pricey for sure....although I recall what I paid for a 980 Extreme

Quote:
1080ti is one of the worst solution in terms of pricing/performance, even used.

Unfortunately if you want to play around with 1440P and higher Rez its the best solution ...(OP said 1440p Med to HIGH settings on new titles)......

Firestrike Extreme: 23.772K
https://www.3dmark.com/fs/17562471
Timespy: 18.613K
MARK 11: 40.185K
https://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/13079691

Last edited by rjbarker; January 7, 2019 at 11:26 PM.
Old January 7, 2019, 11:24 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

AMD RGB system
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/QmdxdX
Old January 8, 2019, 02:52 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
The nay sayers about the 9900k haven't even seen what it can do with a 5ghz overclock. It barely affects.the temps either.
Intel for gaming all the way. I won't get into its HEVC ass whooping. It literally destroys a long list of Xeon processors that cost 3x more.

You're correct about the temps, I've had 2 9900k systems @5.0 for weeks now and the temps are ridiculously low for that % of OC compared to my 8700k and 6850BE OC systems. Very surprised at this.

So far as the OP build, 2700x is "okay" IMO for the bang/$ ratio, not as fast as an 8700 or certainly the newer CPUs in most cases, but close enough if that's what you want. Where your build is falling flat is with the GPU, and here I agree with what others have said. If you want to be gaming at 1440p, the GPU in the OP build is going to struggle IMO at the higher detail levels in many if not most games at this resolution on a 27" and up monitor. Put that extra 3 or 400$ in the budget into a better GPU, find a used 1080ti in fact is probably your best bang/$ right now, or a 2060/2070 and adjust the budget/build accordingly if you must. If you really want an all AMD build, Vega is an option, if you can find one...
Old January 8, 2019, 07:25 AM
Allstar

Quote:
9900K is overpriced and doesn't offer anything significant over its Ryzen counterparts. Not to mention that it doesn't have long term socket support or compatibility. You can refer to HEDT pricing what the 9700K and 9900K are priced at for comparison. Then there is also the issue of yields and production on the 14nm process. Sure Intel is better for gaming but that's a small and narrow margin that offers poor price/performance and longevity.
Old January 8, 2019, 11:00 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
9900K is overpriced and doesn't offer anything significant over its Ryzen counterparts. Not to mention that it doesn't have long term socket support or compatibility. You can refer to HEDT pricing what the 9700K and 9900K are priced at for comparison. Then there is also the issue of yields and production on the 14nm process. Sure Intel is better for gaming but that's a small and narrow margin that offers poor price/performance and longevity.

Agreed - if you're on a budget the 9900k probably isn't for you, the bang/$ ratio IMO isn't all that swell, despite how well it's working for me, a 2700x system if you're on a fixed budget for your build, is probably the better option. I'll still stand by the statement that AMD GPUs generally suck compared to nVidia right now for the $. Very, VERY few instances where Vega outperforms the equivalent priced nVidia cards, and it's not even close with the slower AMD video cards IMO.
Old January 8, 2019, 03:54 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman109 View Post
Agreed - if you're on a budget the 9900k probably isn't for you, the bang/$ ratio IMO isn't all that swell, despite how well it's working for me, a 2700x system if you're on a fixed budget for your build, is probably the better option. I'll still stand by the statement that AMD GPUs generally suck compared to nVidia right now for the $. Very, VERY few instances where Vega outperforms the equivalent priced nVidia cards, and it's not even close with the slower AMD video cards IMO.
As (seemingly) always, the ratio is best in the 'budget' bracket of GPUs. 2060/1070 and below have good competition from AMD. Above that? Get some green, and I mean cash, to buy team green...
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old January 8, 2019, 04:07 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
Remember we are talking about the 9700K and the 9900K not 8700K. Intel has 14nm yield issues and their 10nm process is over 3 years behind . You need to look at more than simply benchmarks and that's what I've already mentioned and discussed above. Socket longevity, price/performance, Ryzen 7nm etc.
Who is talking about the 9900K? Who buys that at $700 Canadian? Die-hard gamers and those with money to burn. They won't or don't care to compare to AMD and/or the prices.

As for the 9700K, why can't you include the 8700K? The 6-core part is a bit cheaper and is pretty close for performance if you talk about gaming. The price is just a bit over a 2700X. You can guess about the 7nm Ryzen but that's not released yet. Everything about it is speculation so far.
Old January 8, 2019, 04:25 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fubar View Post
Who is talking about the 9900K? Who buys that at $700 Canadian? Die-hard gamers and those with money to burn. They won't or don't care to compare to AMD and/or the prices.

As for the 9700K, why can't you include the 8700K? The 6-core part is a bit cheaper and is pretty close for performance if you talk about gaming. The price is just a bit over a 2700X. You can guess about the 7nm Ryzen but that's not released yet. Everything about it is speculation so far.

I believe every review Ive read claims 9900K as the best Gaming CPU around....but at $700 - $750 definitely a price premium........personally Im happy to see a "High End" Enthusiast Market finally so Im not forced to go with an HEDT system........and a Chip starting at $1.4K

Yes these Chips are great for gamers...but they also fill another nitch (with such high clock speeds and "OC'ibility)....something other than simply gaming....its building...OC'ing....Benching...there is a whole gammet of folks out there..... that Chip works well for.....Overclocker Forums such as OCN ...OC Club....Evga....ROG that are all over this Chip ....
And your absolutely right....with a little lesser of a budget..the 9700K is a proven great Chip...albeit no HT....but OC'd to 4.9 Ghz - 5 Ghz 8 Cores is awesome .....as is the 8700K......anyhow....Apologies to the OP...Im sure your scratching your head now

Firestrike Extreme: 23.772K
https://www.3dmark.com/fs/17562471
Timespy: 18.613K
MARK 11: 40.185K
https://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/13079691

Old January 8, 2019, 10:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chyme View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I will wait to see what AMD has to say as far as Zen 2.

Want to go mATX due to size. Upgraded the case to a Corsair 350D with a window. Don't really want the window, but it's hard to find decent mATX cases without a window.

1TB NMVe, 1080Ti, Z390, i7 9700k is pushing the price too high, close to $3,000.
Good idea on waiting to see what the Zen2 has to bring. Keynote is only about 12 hours away give or take a bit and then we should have at the very least pricing and release info. I'm waiting for myself and for some work builds as well.

Oh and I hear you about cases without windows. At work I prefer to get ones without windows and sometimes it can be difficult. And as for your build, pick the best cpu, mobo and psu you can within reason. That becomes your base, you can easily add more ram or better gpus in the future. At least those are my thoughts. Oh and stick to a 1tb nvme (wd black etc.) then down the road add another ssd if you need it.

Here is a i5-9600k build for you that comes out to $2002 that includes a 2070
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/gwrwJ8

And here is one with the Ryzen 7 2700 (not X cause you can just oc it) comes to $1933
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/F2Rq8Y

Old January 11, 2019, 09:30 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaine View Post
Good idea on waiting to see what the Zen2 has to bring. Keynote is only about 12 hours away give or take a bit and then we should have at the very least pricing and release info. I'm waiting for myself and for some work builds as well.

Oh and I hear you about cases without windows. At work I prefer to get ones without windows and sometimes it can be difficult. And as for your build, pick the best cpu, mobo and psu you can within reason. That becomes your base, you can easily add more ram or better gpus in the future. At least those are my thoughts. Oh and stick to a 1tb nvme (wd black etc.) then down the road add another ssd if you need it.

Here is a i5-9600k build for you that comes out to $2002 that includes a 2070
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/gwrwJ8

And here is one with the Ryzen 7 2700 (not X cause you can just oc it) comes to $1933
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/F2Rq8Y
Those are attractive builds, part- and price-wise. Unfortunately my budget includes a new monitor. May have to go beg for more $$$.