Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 14, 2018, 04:43 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default Dedicated server box for modded minecraft server

Hey, I'm looking at putting together a PC to run a dedicated server for modded minecraft, and the PC would also be used for occasional 1080p movies/TV shows/group games on a projector.

What I have now has been sufficient for everything and vanilla minecraft, but it's lacking for modded minecraft hosting.

i5-2400 3.2ghz
Dell motherboard
8GB DDR3
HD7850 2GB video
SSD

The new build I'm looking at just needs a CPU, motherboard, RAM, and maybe a video card. Minecraft runs on java which primarily uses one CPU core, so I need the highest single core speed possible, but, other games use more cores so at least a quad core is the obvious minimum. Here's my first thoughts on doing that:

i3-8350K 4ghz (then overclocked a bit)
ASUS z370-p motherboard (seems like a straight forward board and is relatively cheap?)
2x16GB whatever DDR4 (I read that using 2 slots was better than using 4 slots)
Fractal R3 case I got for $20 on craigslist
re-use all other parts.

I have a feeling the HD7850 video card might have some incompatibility with new motherboards. Something about UEFI problems. Onboard video might be fine. The last new PC I built was around 2012-ish in the NCIX days.

Does this sound like a terrible idea? The Ryzen CPU's seem to have lots of cores vs single core performance, and I don't need tons of cores for minecraft hosting.