Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 12, 2018, 05:12 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default New build after 10 years

I have wanted to upgrade my PC for quite some time but have been very reluctant because I found that my current CPU/MB (Q9550 @ 3.7Ghz/X48 DDR2) was fine for 1080p gaming with an upgraded GPU. Truth is it's not very good for any demanding online titles like Battlefield and is rather weak in the latest single player titles. CB single core score of 104.

In short, I'm cheap but it sucks.

Anywho, I have been putting it off because of all the price skewing due to inflated GPU/Ram pricing and weak ass Canadian dollar. Now I find out that America's tariffs on Chinese electronics will be going up 25% and since some GPU's are around MSRP so I figured if I don't pull the plug now I might never or if I don't I'll come to regret it in the near future.

My only real worry is that nVidia is bringing out their new product right after the new tariffs take place. I'd rather wait for that but again, those tariffs.

I have put together a parts list consisting of what I think are some of the better parts for around $2000.00 Any parts such as hard drive are gonna have to wait because I am trying to build a solid semi high end system that has some longevity to it. I do have an older BX100 500GB SSD and a USB 1TB Seagate external storage drive.

Normally I wouldn't ask for advice as I do tend to keep up with the latest tech but I feel rushed and tend to make poor decisions under those conditions. RGB is not of great concern to me. I'm an old fart. I'd rather not pay GSkill 60 plus dollars for carnival lights.

The Team group memory sticks I chose for example are 3200Mhz Samsung B-Die with timings of 14-14-14-31 compared to GSkills 14-14-14-34 and they want 60 for the RGB. Um, Nope!

My Primary usage is as follows:

1 Gaming
2 General use web surfing/You Tube videos (I'm a political/tech junkie)
3 Business email/billing

I am currently running a Radeon 290X hooked to a 58" 1080p HDTV. But want to get a 1440p monitor down the road.

OK, so if anyone is able to prevent me from making a serious mistake or encourage me to light two large on fire it would be greatly appreciated!

Parts List
Old August 12, 2018, 05:48 PM
F@H

My System Specs

You can save cash on the PSU. The EVGA G3's 650's and 750's have regularly been going on sale for ~100 or less, and they're just as good as the Seasonic. Just keep and eye out and pounce when you see it.

At this point, regardless of tariffs, I'd still wait on a new GPU.

use https://benzhaomin.github.io/bdiefinder/ to find the cheapest B-Die you can. I found these fairly quickly for less than your listed ones (238), and yes, they are carnival rated ( I love this!), but you can just set them to a single colour if you want. And saving money is saving money!
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old August 12, 2018, 05:53 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
You can save cash on the PSU. The EVGA G3's 650's and 750's have regularly been going on sale for ~100 or less, and they're just as good as the Seasonic. Just keep and eye out and pounce when you see it.

use https://benzhaomin.github.io/bdiefinder/ to find the cheapest B-Die you can. I found these fairly quickly for less than your listed ones (238), and yes, they are carnival rated ( I love this!), but you can just set them to a single colour if you want. And saving money is saving money!
He might not want to wait that long...

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 79
Size:  22.9 KB

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 1X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / Uncased 256GB Sandisk Z400S SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 24" Westinghouse L2410NM
Old August 12, 2018, 06:15 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I am going to concur with holding out on the gpu. A 290x is still quite capable and a new platform is going to let it stretch its legs over the old c2q.
Old August 12, 2018, 07:02 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I thought Intel was better for gaming than Ryzen....

Instead of a 1080 Ti, what about a lesser card (1070 ??) and upgrade in a few years? 1080 Tis aren't exactly the best value.
Old August 12, 2018, 08:37 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post

Thanks for the evga info. I think I might wait. That Nvidia ray tracing tech might be worth the wait and I can invest some in storage for now. And SSWilson is right. I don't want to wait that long for memory, nor do I want loose timings as Ryzen responds really well to higher frequencies with lower timings. So, in that regard I don't mind ponying up a little more scratch.
Old August 12, 2018, 08:45 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly007 View Post
I thought Intel was better for gaming than Ryzen....

Instead of a 1080 Ti, what about a lesser card (1070 ??) and upgrade in a few years? 1080 Tis aren't exactly the best value.
Only just. I think moving forward the Ryzen 7 is the better buy. Included heat sink, cheaper, more cores, guaranteed upgrade path etc. Intel comes out with a new CPU they want you to replace your entire computer.

The 1080Ti has never been a value proposition. It will be a mid range GPU before you know it and that's why I wanted to buy one. I don't upgrade very often but when I do I want to make sure it will carry me for as long as possible.
Old August 12, 2018, 08:59 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Jesus. I didn't see the wait time, but still.

Use the B die finder, and get the cheapest ones you find. No big deal.
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old August 13, 2018, 11:54 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Thanks Sagath. One more question. Would buying 32 GB's be good rather than 8? I'm thinking of the future. When I put my first Core 2 system together we were only using 4 GB's but several years later I found myself at a disadvantage needing 8. Currently we are at a point where 16 has become the norm. Will 32 be necessary in the near future? I know no one has a crystal ball but how do you see gaming in the future? Will Ray tracing benefit from it?
Old August 13, 2018, 12:21 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Id recommend 16GB as a good safe min these days. If you do go the AMD route remember that Infitiy Fabric speed is tied directly to RAM speed. So DDR4-3000 w/ single rank DIMMS is a good idea if you want to get the most from it. Other than that hiccup... its hard to go wrong with either a Ryzen 2 or Intel rig. Many years before it will be a limit with 6 to 8 cores of processing power on tap.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr