Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 11, 2018, 10:27 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Advice?

I think this is the section for getting opinions and advice on prospective builds? Or just tossing around ideas, at least?

I am looking at these parts:
R5 2600 - $230
MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC

*Already have 16GB of DDR4 Corsair RAM @ 3200GHz (CL16)

Not sure about SSDs or storage:
Thoughts on these?

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produc...9SIADGE7164145
https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produc...9SIAFC377A0914
https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produc...82E16820167448
The Samsung 960 Evo looks like it's around $200 as well....

Anything else to consider?

Uses: Dual boot Windows 10 (using W10 and MS Office) - I don't have yet
Ubuntu 18.04 - will need to install

I was considering using two drives but I might just use one PCIe 3.0 x 4 to get max. speed.

I can always add another drive later to the SATA ports or?

I am open to used parts - but, as much as I would like a R7 2700/X or i7-8700/k, these are almost $400. I think I could get a R7 2700 used for about $345-ish but is that a better deal than this retail R5 2600? I guess the R5 part will also have taxes (although free shipping) so the total is actually closer to $260.

What do you think?

Oh yeah, I also was trying to consider what to do with my current system. It's not worth much any more? The mobo and maybe the memory has some worth - could maybe get something for those? But, the LGA 775 Q6600 looks like it's worth squat now? Maybe $20, tops? I can't get full SATA speeds - was thinking about getting a version of Windows on a SSD on that system - and use my current Linux OS - just as an extra computer plus it's useful since I have netflix and my configuration already working on it. Should I just keep it as an extra computer? If I can't get much for the components, maybe it is worth just keeping? The mobo is an Asus P45 but it's just a vanilla version....not in demand on ebay, I don't think although some P45 mobos fetch a bit depending on what it is?

Thanks for any advice. I guess I have to decide what to do on all this before I can narrow down what I'm doing with my build plan.
Old August 11, 2018, 10:40 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You could keep the old pc as a media server, if you access it through a gigabit router.
Old August 11, 2018, 11:20 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARSTG View Post
You could keep the old pc as a media server, if you access it through a gigabit router.
Currently, only have a 'G' router. What gigabit router would do? I was thinking of upgrading the router, actually. Would a router like the Netgear R7000 suffice? What would you suggest?
Old August 11, 2018, 12:59 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

i meant wired connection .
The Intel and the SX8200 are both x4, have similar specs and identical 5 year warranty, so either way is good.
This guy is selling a 1600 and x370 combo https://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...-switches.html while Johan45 is selling some top x470 boards for 30$ more than your targeted B450. https://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...70-boards.html
(just a thought ).

Last edited by MARSTG; August 11, 2018 at 01:16 PM.
Old August 11, 2018, 03:33 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Short answer hard to go wrong with the Intel 760p or 8200. Forget the 6000 series option.

Longer answer.
The Intel 760P is what I run in a lot of rigs (and Optane 900P). The XPG 8200 is also very good (uses same controller as the 760p). Cant go wrong with either of those two (not a fan of the realtek controller in the 6000 series). Doubt you would notice a dif in performance between the two (the 760P usually gets cream of the crop from IMFT compared to slightly lower grade XPG uses, but XPG is doing interesting things with the firmware to slightly boost performance via Over-Provisioning etc etc AND including a thin but legit heatspreader - its NOT a heatsink.... so if 'stock out of the box moar performance' is number one... get the XPG). BUT the 8200 comes with 'less storage' 480 vs 512 (honestly I reduce my Intel 760ps to 480GB and they gain performance AND longevity...and I have good air flow in my cases with unobstructed M2. ports so a heatsink is not important to ME).

IMHO for the average user it should come down to price and warranty. Both have 5year warranties. Intel is... well INTEL. Hard to go wrong with them from an RMA and warranty POV. But with more over-provisioning and better cooling the XPG will last longer (assuming NAND failure... which is rare these days!).

Twenty bucks is only twenty bucks. BUT may be important to you. So the XPG 8200 may be worth the savings as it will be a touch faster than the 760P and be better in air flow restricted cases. Like I said... hard to go wrong with either. :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old August 11, 2018, 05:20 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARSTG View Post
i meant wired connection .
The Intel and the SX8200 are both x4, have similar specs and identical 5 year warranty, so either way is good.
This guy is selling a 1600 and x370 combo https://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...-switches.html while Johan45 is selling some top x470 boards for 30$ more than your targeted B450. https://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...70-boards.html
(just a thought ).
I looked at that before coming across the latest MSI B450 board.

Did you compare the boards?

The B450 looks like an 'updated' board - it looks 'better' than its X470 'equivalent/partner.' Has newer/updated Intel wifi, Bluetooth 5 instead of 4 and if you compare to the board for sale - Intel LAN instead of the (Realtek?) Killer LAN.

Although, yes, buying used offers a benefit of no additional $$ (meaning taxes). There's good reviews for the B450 mobo so far. It's also new - so, there is a benefit although I am perfectly willing to buy used - and on here, is ideal.

P.S. The only advantage of buying new for me - is that it's unused but also I am a procrastinator/doubter/ aka very rarely make impulse buys and usually, when I am ready and looking for something in particular or specific, it's either sold or no one is selling it, at that moment. :) Thus, the only time there's a problem with something new - of course, when it's out of stock. :)
Old August 11, 2018, 05:24 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Short answer hard to go wrong with the Intel 760p or 8200. Forget the 6000 series option.

Longer answer.
The Intel 760P is what I run in a lot of rigs (and Optane 900P). The XPG 8200 is also very good (uses same controller as the 760p). Cant go wrong with either of those two (not a fan of the realtek controller in the 6000 series). Doubt you would notice a dif in performance between the two (the 760P usually gets cream of the crop from IMFT compared to slightly lower grade XPG uses, but XPG is doing interesting things with the firmware to slightly boost performance via Over-Provisioning etc etc AND including a thin but legit heatspreader - its NOT a heatsink.... so if 'stock out of the box moar performance' is number one... get the XPG). BUT the 8200 comes with 'less storage' 480 vs 512 (honestly I reduce my Intel 760ps to 480GB and they gain performance AND longevity...and I have good air flow in my cases with unobstructed M2. ports so a heatsink is not important to ME).

IMHO for the average user it should come down to price and warranty. Both have 5year warranties. Intel is... well INTEL. Hard to go wrong with them from an RMA and warranty POV. But with more over-provisioning and better cooling the XPG will last longer (assuming NAND failure... which is rare these days!).

Twenty bucks is only twenty bucks. BUT may be important to you. So the XPG 8200 may be worth the savings as it will be a touch faster than the 760P and be better in air flow restricted cases. Like I said... hard to go wrong with either. :)
Thanks, AkG! Lots to consider! A detailed and informative reply/answer, as always.

EDIT: Adding here, so that I'm not in trouble for additional posts in the same thread...hehe...

A case is another dilemma as I am not even sure what form factor to go with. If I go with AMD / AM4, I probably am restricted to ATX and ITX - although, some B450 boards offer mATX? I forget...

I just remember not having too many mATX choices. No matter. I would go with ATX mostly to get the additional RAM slots. No other reason, really. Would I ever use them? Maybe. I would wait to see if memory prices ever drop. I currently have 16GB, though. Ready to put in whatever system I get. One of my rare impulse buys but I committed to it on a holiday discount day - before prices skyrocketed. That's how I justified it to myself. :)

I think the case question is for another section, though? :) Although, I guess it could be (theoretically) in the 'what should I get/plan? question, here?
Old August 12, 2018, 01:09 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Can someone advise me on the form factor of motherboards? I would consider an ITX board as I want wifi, so I am considering either ITX or ATX boards that have built-in wifi. I just would like wiif, not a need. I just prefer to have it. :)

But, I am struggling to narrow down the mobo form factor under consideration because I want to max. out the RAM eventually - at least, to 32GB eventually. I currently have 16GB. So, I'd either:
A) keep the 16GB and buy an ATX mobo - to get four memory slots or
B) get an ITX board and use 16GB for now - eventually, I would sell the two sticks and buy 2 x 16GB to get 32GB
C) sell the 2 sticks and buy 2 x 16 GB now/while buying my components

Which is the best option? I don't know if memory is ever going down but I think it went down a bit, recently? 16GB is around $200 - for higher speed memory; 32GB - $400 (again, if you want around 3000 MHz)

If I invest in a Ryzen/AM4 system, I probably want at least 3000 MHz?

Thanks for answering/advising.

I guess there is a point to be made for getting a X470 mobo anyway - I'm not sure which boards will take future processors but the AM4 socket is supposed to be good for a while (i.e. for future upgrades). At least, that is supposed to be one of the major advantages over getting a CL system, right? :)
Old August 12, 2018, 01:43 PM
F@H

My System Specs

There are mATX boards out there that come with wifi standard. (The one in my sig is an example).

I'm of two minds when it comes to mITX boards/builds.......

Yes it's cool that you can build an ultra-compact PC (including a vid card), but 90% of mITX cases in the market are like the early prodigy cases in that they might as well be mATX when you look at the volume they take up. (The prodigy actually had both mITX and mATX versions in the same case).

Personally, unless I were going to build in one of the other 10% to create a true compact build, I'm sticking with mATX for a slightly smaller case (over ATX) but none of the sacrifices that have to be made when it comes to things like USB, fan headers, (and as you mentioned... memory slots) on mITX motherboards.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 1X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / Uncased 256GB Sandisk Z400S SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 24" Westinghouse L2410NM
Old August 12, 2018, 02:10 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
There are mATX boards out there that come with wifi standard. (The one in my sig is an example).

I'm of two minds when it comes to mITX boards/builds.......

Yes it's cool that you can build an ultra-compact PC (including a vid card), but 90% of mITX cases in the market are like the early prodigy cases in that they might as well be mATX when you look at the volume they take up. (The prodigy actually had both mITX and mATX versions in the same case).

Personally, unless I were going to build in one of the other 10% to create a true compact build, I'm sticking with mATX for a slightly smaller case (over ATX) but none of the sacrifices that have to be made when it comes to things like USB, fan headers, (and as you mentioned... memory slots) on mITX motherboards.
It's doable if I go with CL, but almost impossible with AM4/Ryzen. There's very little choice for mATX AM4 boards (ASUS has none, MSI has one) and no wifi option at all. Also, the only series available are the B450 boards.