Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 24, 2017, 04:26 PM
Rookie

Default Need case suggestions

Hello, wonderful people!
I was wondering what case would be good for me if I was looking for;

Simple, elegant design
(Phanteks Eclipse/Evolv/Pro M or NZXT S340 Elite/H440 for example)
Space saving interior
(Phanteks Pro M for example with option to mount HDD with brackets in main space as I like having them displayed as such)
PSU Shroud
Fits 240mm Radiator (thick)
Fits ATX motherboard
One or more 5.25 drive bays

If possible;
Fan controllers
Fan light controllers (white LED fans)
Support for bottom case fans

I currently use a CM Storm Stryker (white) and I love it, especially with the white color. However, the exposed PSU and the drive cages present a bit of an eye sore to me. Although, I do really enjoy the ability to mount fans to the bottom of the case.

I have been strongly considering the Pro M Acrylic but the lack of bottom fan support and the lack of fan and light controllers make it less pleasing. All of my case fans are white LED and have variable speeds which is something I prefer having control over quickly.

If push comes to shove, would the Pro M Acrylic fit my needs and what extra modules for fan and LED control would you recommend and how to potentially mount it for quick access if possible?

Thank you very much!

Last edited by emperosabi; May 25, 2017 at 01:05 PM.
Old May 25, 2017, 06:15 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

In Win 303, 3 fans at the bottom and natural convection as the hot air rises. Also 3 fans on the back side for exhaust. One of the fans can be substituted with the PSU oriented inwards but in this case the PSU fan will intake warm/hot air already instead of cold, but it is a very beautiful case and it would look awesome with a lighting system as well, be it integrated in the Mobo or additional like the Hue+. And loose the HDDs or put them as externals. My policy is never keep an HDD beyond the warranty period. For data safety you could opt for the Seagate NAS drives with paid recovery service. The 4TB version is 209 on the egg. Another case I would opt for would be Define C.
Old May 25, 2017, 01:04 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARSTG View Post
In Win 303, 3 fans at the bottom and natural convection as the hot air rises. Also 3 fans on the back side for exhaust. One of the fans can be substituted with the PSU oriented inwards but in this case the PSU fan will intake warm/hot air already instead of cold, but it is a very beautiful case and it would look awesome with a lighting system as well, be it integrated in the Mobo or additional like the Hue+. And loose the HDDs or put them as externals. My policy is never keep an HDD beyond the warranty period. For data safety you could opt for the Seagate NAS drives with paid recovery service. The 4TB version is 209 on the egg. Another case I would opt for would be Define C.
I really like how the InWin 303 looks and I appreciated the suggestion. However, I will have to argue against your HDD opinion as I do not have the budget to buy new storage devices regularly (also, my two HDDs are brand new). I also like the Define C but I may consider the InWin first.

I should probably also specify (because I forgot), that I would prefer the case to have at least one 5.25 bay as I use my disc driver regularly (albeit pretty outdated to still be doing so). Or if you or anyone has suggestions for an alternate way of mounting a disc drive that doesn't involve buying external readers and whatnot.
Old June 23, 2017, 06:50 AM
Rookie

Hi got a slightly left of field one for you - the original Phanteks Ethoo Evolv it has a rear 5.25 bar, it's a neat solution I thought if you want an internal one.

Of course it is mATX, but otherwise has a PSU shroud, fits 240 rads up top and in front, very efficient use of space in my opinion, three colours

Downsides, it has a right sided IO obviously not Tempered Glass (there is one, but has no 5.25), might be harder to find because it's about 3 years now since it was released, no bottom case fans.
Old June 24, 2017, 05:08 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Enthoo Luxe TG https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produc...82E16811854043

Tags
case , suggestions