Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 28, 2015, 11:05 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default Standalone HDD LED & Splitter

Hi everyone! I'm new 'round these parts but a friend of mine said this was a great place to ask this question. I'm planning a new build (tentative specs here, no video card as I'm keeping my current one until the next generation is out) and am hoping to base it around the by all accounts, exceptional Phanteks Enthoo Pro case, in no small part thanks to HC's video review. However, I have a very weird use case and I'm wondering if there's a way I can sort.

Due to the nature of a lot of the stuff I do with my PC, I like to be able to easily glance at the HDD LED on a regular basis to monitor disk activity. I also run with my tower on top of my desk as I have in a house with three animals and anything left on the hardwood floor tends to quickly get filled with fuzz. One of the frustrations with modern case designs is that many of the buttons and LEDs are put on the top instead of the front. This is the case with the Enthoo Pro. Being able to see the HDD LED on it means having to stand up which would be frustrating.

My current mainboard actually has an HDD LED built in to it that I can see through the side window of the case but most new boards, including the one I'm looking at (the MSI Z170A Gaming M7), don't have this. What I thought of was seeing if there are any little standalone HDD LEDs that one could buy and possibly also a 2 pin internal splitter. Basically, in my ideal scenario, I'd split the HDD LED feed coming off the mainboard, connect the case's LED to one end and a standlone LED to the other which I could see through the side panel of the case with a quick glance. The standalone LED is the main thing I'd like to get but the splitter would be ideal.

I know this is a weird thing I'm looking to do here but I figure these two parts are so simple, they have to exist out there somewhere. However, I've looked around and all I could find was one site that sold a white 2 pin LED but was out of stock. Does anyone know of a place that sells the components I need or another way to accomplish this? I figure if anyone can help me figure out this weird problem, it'd be Hardware Canucks.

Thanks all and have a great new year!
Old December 28, 2015, 11:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I suggest leaving the case's originals unplugged and hook up some new ones poking though holes somewhere more visible. Drill a hole in the bezel, 5.25" bay cover, etc. Either scavenge LEDs from an old case or buy some and stick em on wire with connectors.
You cannot see the ones on top anyway, no harm in them being unplugged.

I share your annoyance about cases being designed with ports on the top!
Old December 29, 2015, 08:11 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Look Up "MODdiy "

Or water cooling or modding places.

EDIT : Here: Power-SW HDD-LED Power-LED 2-Pin Motherboard Internal Header Cable (50cm) - modDIY.com

Edit 2 : High Quality Sleeved Power SW 2-Pin Internal Header Y Splitter Cable - modDIY.com

Last edited by ZZLEE; December 29, 2015 at 09:10 AM.
Old December 29, 2015, 09:15 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

That second item is exactly what I was looking for! Now I've just got to find the standalone LED. I'm sure someone has those for sale, I just gotta' find it. Thanks so much!

EDIT: Looks like the same site has some of those. From what I've read, these will fit the bill. The pins are very long but apparently can be cut back to a shorter length with no issues. And they're dirt cheap!

Last edited by Parallax Abstraction; December 29, 2015 at 09:26 AM.
Old December 29, 2015, 12:22 PM
Hall Of Fame

yes they will work

oops missed you found light...... look for 3.3v led's from local electronic supply house note are polarity sensitve

want to go crazy with a 3v solid state relay and use a led 12vdc light

the flashing of light mite attract your pets to it

safety with electricity

Last edited by KaptCrunch; December 30, 2015 at 07:44 AM.

Tags
case , led