Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 12, 2013, 12:50 AM
Allstar

i5 to i7?
Gaming wise the performance is identical. For video editing once a month, you'll lose a few seconds of your life each month and that seems like an OK trade for 100 Euros saved.

You know I will build my rig after the holidays for one reason. I'm waiting for the custom cooled 2 R9 290s in CF for $800 or one GTX 780 ti for $700. The reference cooler on the R9 290 is not only louder, but also heats up and slows down so it also loses performance. If you can't wait then go with the GTX 770 or R9 280X, which is the real competitor to your card of choice because its performance is almost identical, cheaper and comes with Battlefield 4.

I plan to game at 2560x1440 resolution. I assume yours is 1920x1080.

Other than Fractal Design Arc Midi R2, I'd say the Corsair Carbide Series 400R is also capable and minimalist. NZXT H2 or 410 also comes to mind.

The RAM is good. But if you can get 1866 or 2133 for maybe $40 cheaper then it's worth a save. 1600 speeds for today's build is a no.

I recommended an after market cooler because you chose a K edition CPU that can be overclocked. Air coolers are cheaper and the cases you are thinking about can fit them such as the Cooler Master Hyper Evo 212. If you do not intend to overclock save some money and go for the i5 4430.

The more powerful the rig the better, but for your budget, I would not recommend future planing for SLI that will cost you 3~400 euros extra without knowing if you will do it or not. I mean a bigger PSU and motherboard will make it easier, but what about your case? That also has to be bigger and have more fans than stock. You will also have to work on your games profiles and wait for updates from the card manufacturer for each game. Some games might not work for months after its release. I know the risk I'm taking but do you? It's better to swap your old card with a new one after two years than look for a two year old model that you might want to add.

For motherboard you can get an Asus Z87-K for 100 Euros cheaper. For gaming you will only lose SLI/CF option and a few connections that you will never use. The audio chip is a bit dated but more on that later..

Corsair HX 650 power supply if you can find it is modular and Gold rated.

Someone said Intel SSDs are better and this is right, if you can find a good deal. I wouldn't care and would go for the cheapest reliable brand, which is the Samsung Evo.

Add a sound card like the Asus Xonar DSX if you will use headphones. Audio is just as important as video. I connect my PC to an AV receiver/amplifier that feeds a 5.1 speaker system and that is expensive and takes allot of space but I'm that serious about it and wouldn't game any other way.

I'm not disagreeing with the advice you're getting, but considering your situation, you have another option of not paying extra for anything that won't give you extra gaming performance right now.
Old December 12, 2013, 07:32 AM
Rookie

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luay79 View Post
i5 to i7?
Gaming wise the performance is identical. For video editing once a month, you'll lose a few seconds of your life each month and that seems like an OK trade for 100 Euros saved.

You know I will build my rig after the holidays for one reason. I'm waiting for the custom cooled 2 R9 290s in CF for $800 or one GTX 780 ti for $700. The reference cooler on the R9 290 is not only louder, but also heats up and slows down so it also loses performance. If you can't wait then go with the GTX 770 or R9 280X, which is the real competitor to your card of choice because its performance is almost identical, cheaper and comes with Battlefield 4.

I plan to game at 2560x1440 resolution. I assume yours is 1920x1080.

Other than Fractal Design Arc Midi R2, I'd say the Corsair Carbide Series 400R is also capable and minimalist. NZXT H2 or 410 also comes to mind.

The RAM is good. But if you can get 1866 or 2133 for maybe $40 cheaper then it's worth a save. 1600 speeds for today's build is a no.

I recommended an after market cooler because you chose a K edition CPU that can be overclocked. Air coolers are cheaper and the cases you are thinking about can fit them such as the Cooler Master Hyper Evo 212. If you do not intend to overclock save some money and go for the i5 4430.

The more powerful the rig the better, but for your budget, I would not recommend future planing for SLI that will cost you 3~400 euros extra without knowing if you will do it or not. I mean a bigger PSU and motherboard will make it easier, but what about your case? That also has to be bigger and have more fans than stock. You will also have to work on your games profiles and wait for updates from the card manufacturer for each game. Some games might not work for months after its release. I know the risk I'm taking but do you? It's better to swap your old card with a new one after two years than look for a two year old model that you might want to add.

For motherboard you can get an Asus Z87-K for 100 Euros cheaper. For gaming you will only lose SLI/CF option and a few connections that you will never use. The audio chip is a bit dated but more on that later..

Corsair HX 650 power supply if you can find it is modular and Gold rated.

Someone said Intel SSDs are better and this is right, if you can find a good deal. I wouldn't care and would go for the cheapest reliable brand, which is the Samsung Evo.

Add a sound card like the Asus Xonar DSX if you will use headphones. Audio is just as important as video. I connect my PC to an AV receiver/amplifier that feeds a 5.1 speaker system and that is expensive and takes allot of space but I'm that serious about it and wouldn't game any other way.

I'm not disagreeing with the advice you're getting, but considering your situation, you have another option of not paying extra for anything that won't give you extra gaming performance right now.
Owkee...So this will give me more performance/price
I can wait before I buy this! So a custom design will be better for GPU!

Motherboard: Asus Z87-K 98,98
PSU: Corsair HX650 106,90
CPU cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H100i Performance Liquid CPU Cooler 97,99
CPU: Intel Core i5 4670K / 3.4 GHz 192,90
Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 81,76
HDD: WD Blue WD10EZEX 51,98
SSD Samsung 840 EVO Basic 83,99
RAM: G.Skill SNIPER Series 149,69
GPU: Asus R9290-4GD5 382,99 ----> WAIT FOR COSTOM DESIGNE!
Total: 1.247,17 ( 1717,98USD)
HDD and SDD can always be upgraded...I know I have enough right now with 1TB HDD and 120GB. SSD .
Old December 17, 2013, 01:57 AM
Allstar

Hi again. I don't know what's going on in Holland but recently AMD's card prices inflated so much on Newegg (USA) that it's better now to buy Nvidia. GTX 770 Asus DCUII or MSI Gaming are my favorite brands. EVGA and Gigabyte are a close second.

It's also a shame that a bigger SSD/HDD can't fit in your budget. Perhaps a few provisions should be made.

The CPU cooler you chose is for extreme overclocking. It's OK if that's what you want but the Hyper 212 Evo will do the job for $70 less. If you think it's a priority over a larger SSD then it's fine.

Same goes for RAM. 8GB is enough for even very intensive games, though video editors, programmers, and people who do a lot of memory-intensive work will want more RAM. As for RAM speed, you will get a decent performance increase when you go from 1600MHz to 1866MHz, but Returns diminish quickly after 1866MHz.

I can see more than $150 savings there without losing any performance, so you can get a bigger SSD. Good luck again!
Old December 17, 2013, 08:47 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luay79 View Post
As for RAM speed, you will get a decent performance increase when you go from 1600MHz to 1866MHz, but Returns diminish quickly after 1866MHz.
Intel Haswell does not support memory faster than 1600, going with memory faster than 1600MHz is a waste of money. I would go instead with a memory kit timed for 1600MHz but with lower latency as CAS 8, that would bring better performance than higher clocked RAM at slower timings. The highly clocked RAM is a good solution for the AMD Richland chips but that does not apply to Haswell as well.
Old December 18, 2013, 07:35 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARSTG View Post
Intel Haswell does not support memory faster than 1600, going with memory faster than 1600MHz is a waste of money. I would go instead with a memory kit timed for 1600MHz but with lower latency as CAS 8, that would bring better performance than higher clocked RAM at slower timings. The highly clocked RAM is a good solution for the AMD Richland chips but that does not apply to Haswell as well.
3000 MHz has been done on all major Z87 (That's Haswell) overclocking motherboards! As for CL, it is the least important aspect of RAM.

AnandTech | Memory Scaling on Haswell CPU, IGP and dGPU: DDR3-1333 to DDR3-3000 Tested with G.Skill

In a nut shell,

While memory speed does not necessarily affect single GPU gaming results, for real-world or IGP use, memory speed above 1600 can afford a tangible (5%+) difference in throughput. Based on pricing, it may be worthwhile, as memory kits above DDR3-1600 are now around the same price.

the order of importance for memory should be:

1. Amount of memory

2. Number of sticks of memory

3. Placement of those sticks in the motherboard

4. The MHz of the memory

5. If XMP/AMP is enabled

6. The subtimings of the memory

In light of daily workloads, a good DDR3-1866 C9 MHz kit will hit the curve on the right spot to remain cost effective. Users with a few extra dollars in their back pocket might look towards 2133 C9/2400 C10, which moves a little up the curve and has the potential should a game come out that is heavily memory dependent. Ultimately the same advice also applies to multi-GPU users as well as IGP: avoid 1600 MHz and below.

Tags
1500 , case , storm , trooper