Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 10, 2019, 06:00 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Internet for Cheaper than Cheap.

I live in a suburb where there is good infrastructure for Cable internet. Bell fibre as not reached here yet.

I am on CarryTel Cable internet for like $40 a month for 75/10 MBPS.

No problems so far. Plenty fast.

But in the city there are ads posted on electric poles with a 416 number from Mississauga, tooting cheaper internet because they are a vendor for Rogers.... I called

For the same internet 75/10 I can get it for $24.95. I want 300 / 500. 300 is like $32.99 and 500 is like $37.

Funny thing is that when I was asked them 2 weeks ago there was no activiation fee. I texted them again and now there is a $30 fee.

The modem is a Hitron CODA-4582 which is included, no contract, no cancellation fee, no install fee, no equipment fee.

Are these companies worth the trouble?
Personal Website @ www.EYEtrance.ca
Old July 10, 2019, 07:30 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Is this just a field sales agent for Rogers? Kind of sounds like it but hard to say. If they're posting their number on phone poles, that's kind of sketchy. You can likely get a similar deal if you pop into a Rogers store or find one of their kiosks in a mall or (Asian) grocery store.

If it's their own "brand", well, there's a lot of subpar ones out there. If you don't mind slowness at times, then you'll find it fine.

Probably a time-limited deal too, likely 1 year.
Old July 11, 2019, 05:58 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I will try New internet provider soon. I will try to go to a local rogers store and inquire. I want at least 300 mbps because my network at home is bad.

Still running fast Ethernet cables 100mbps in some parts. Ran out of gigabit cable. Need to buy some more...
I wont get the fastest because I wont be able to saturate it with what I am running.
Personal Website @ www.EYEtrance.ca
Old July 11, 2019, 12:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I have been having issues with my provider but I think that it is a combination of shaw and this old building I live in . I have always used Shaw and I have always had issues . now I use Light speed but it is shaw subcontracted so the issues of disconnects are still here. when I first grabbed lightspeed I didn't realize that they where subcontracted from shaw until I was getting constant disconnections and they sent a person to check it out and that person was a shaw employee . he said that it was probably the wiring in this building which in this case makes sense since this building is old probably built 1970s also the area I live in is a small town.