Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 17, 2019, 06:49 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorePower View Post
I've been reading reviews and I guess the top 4 would be NordVPN, Private Internet Access, IPVanish, ExpressVPN. On reddit someone said NordVPN is owned by a data mining company and to stay away from them. I don't know if there is any truth to that or what the negative would be if they were. You're still paying them to keep you anonymous.
When I was looking up options I read an article about NordVPN that said the opposite and was one of the reasons I considered them. Who knows? This is the relevant link on their own site though:
https://nordvpn.com/features/strict-no-logs-policy/

FYI
i7 8700K @ 4.8GHz | Custom liquid cooling loop | ASUS Maximus X Code | 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4-3200 | ASUS ROG GTX 1080 Ti Strix OC ver. | EX920 512GB, MX100 512GB, MX300 2TB | EVGA Supernova 850W G2 | Meshify C | Mayflower Electronics O2+ODAC, USB sound for mic, Sennheiser PC360 SE | Acer Predator X34, BenQ 21.5" | Windows 10 Pro
Old June 17, 2019, 07:09 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah, I wouldn't consider any of these VPN services truly private. It's a shared service, they log your IP and username at the very least each time you connect, whether any further information is stored or not is up to them to tell you. Either way, you're taking their word for it that they aren't storing any personal information since there's not exactly anywhere you could verify these claims unless you hack into their network.

I have a 3yr NordVPN subscription from last year, works fine, speeds are decent, but I don't use it day-to-day, I only use it when I want an extra layer. I also use it when I'm testing access to my hosted things from different locations.

If you want a bit more privacy, I'd say buying a VPS might be the better option and installing your own VPN server, then at the very least, you manage the encryption keys and endpoints. That's not to say the VPS provider can't clone/copy your VM and hand it over to authorities, but you yourself could reduce the logs and such on that VM.