Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 15, 2019, 08:34 AM
F@H

My System Specs

If you look on your client though, the DNS is likely set to 192.168.1.254, not 192.168.1.101. That's why you don't get any stats per client. Most consumer grade routers cache DNS and only serve up themselves as the DNS server thus why the PiHole sees all your requests coming from the router.

You need to make sure your clients are pointed to 192.168.1.101 for DNS directly, not 192.168.1.254.
Old May 15, 2019, 11:41 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
If you look on your client though, the DNS is likely set to 192.168.1.254, not 192.168.1.101. That's why you don't get any stats per client. Most consumer grade routers cache DNS and only serve up themselves as the DNS server thus why the PiHole sees all your requests coming from the router.

You need to make sure your clients are pointed to 192.168.1.101 for DNS directly, not 192.168.1.254.
Ahh. So you're saying that even though I've set the router to 101 for the DNS, the clients still list the router as the DNS...its just that the ROUTER is forwarding the requests to the Pi. This makes 100% sense. I was hoping to not have to program each individual device to use that DNS directly, and let the router do it...but I guess if I want accurate pihole stats (should I run in to black/whitelist problems) then I need to change this.

I guess the other alternative is to let the Pihole handle DHCP? Which isnt unreasonable.
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old May 15, 2019, 11:45 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

If the clients are using DHCP they should be using whatever DNS server your pushing to them and not the routers, unless the router is injecting itself as the primary.

What DNS servers are the clients using (i.e. run nslookup)? They may be using an old lease.

I cant help with the problem at hand, as my Pi-hole is the upstream DNS from my domain controller so it all shows up as a single IP. but i does sound like your clients are not going directly to the pi-hole.
Old May 15, 2019, 12:00 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entz View Post
If the clients are using DHCP they should be using whatever DNS server your pushing to them and not the routers, unless the router is injecting itself as the primary.

What DNS servers are the clients using (i.e. run nslookup)? They may be using an old lease.

I cant help with the problem at hand, as my Pi-hole is the upstream DNS from my domain controller so it all shows up as a single IP[/B]. but i does sound like your clients are not going directly to the pi-hole.
Maybe I'm explaining it poorly but thats exactly what my pihole is doing, showing all the client blocking as coming from 254 (which is the routers IP)...I'm managable with networking, but not savvy .

My router is set up as DHCP and is handing out IP's. It has the DNS set as 192.168.1.101, which is the IP I've set in the router for the pihole.

DNS on all the clients is set to Auto, because I assumed (heh) that the router would do the work and pass along 101 as the DNS to the clients. It would now appear that I'm learning this is not the case and it passes along the Routers IP to the clients as the DNS.

I might change my network and have the pihole run dhcp to the network. I'll just have to figure out how that works with my router. Bridge mode I'd imagine? Will the pihole pass out IPv6 addresses as DHCP?
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old May 15, 2019, 12:29 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
Ahh. So you're saying that even though I've set the router to 101 for the DNS, the clients still list the router as the DNS...its just that the ROUTER is forwarding the requests to the Pi. This makes 100% sense. I was hoping to not have to program each individual device to use that DNS directly, and let the router do it...but I guess if I want accurate pihole stats (should I run in to black/whitelist problems) then I need to change this.

I guess the other alternative is to let the Pihole handle DHCP? Which isnt unreasonable.
ipconfig /all

It will show where your clients are pulling their dns from and then you can move forward in fixing that.

Easiest is as said.. at the Gateway with the DHCP server for your clients.. Hardest.. setting each client to a manual DNS entry.
Old May 15, 2019, 07:28 PM
F@H

My System Specs

When you buying that Ubiquiti gear?

If you get that, then it has a proper DHCP server that sends out the DNS you set. I know a lot of consumer routers don't do this though and act as the sole cache/forwarder.

With your current gear, I'd say disable DHCP on your router and let the Pihole do it instead.
Old May 15, 2019, 07:33 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
When you buying that Ubiquiti gear?

If you get that, then it has a proper DHCP server that sends out the DNS you set. I know a lot of consumer routers don't do this though and act as the sole cache/forwarder.

With your current gear, I'd say disable DHCP on your router and let the Pihole do it instead.

I bought a USG 3P and returned it because their IPv6 implementation (which is in alpha) is garbage.

I'll flip the pihole over to DHCP. Sounds much easier.
Edit: Or not. I cant disable dhcp on my telus stock router.

Last edited by Sagath; May 15, 2019 at 07:53 PM.
Old May 15, 2019, 09:40 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
I bought a USG 3P and returned it because their IPv6 implementation (which is in alpha) is garbage.

I'll flip the pihole over to DHCP. Sounds much easier.
Edit: Or not. I cant disable dhcp on my telus stock router.
Telus modem will need to go into bridged mode then it's just a dummy modem and will require a router to work properly.
Old May 16, 2019, 06:18 AM

My System Specs

Quote:
Not doing a PfSense machine? It can do everything a Pi-Hole can do.
Complete
Forever Alone Complete
Old May 16, 2019, 06:25 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
Not doing a PfSense machine? It can do everything a Pi-Hole can do.
He debated.. I know you can buy prebuilts but they are usually more than a Unifi device and unless you have the hardware to build one.. it gets expensive.