Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 1, 2019, 02:02 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default Ubiquiti Question

I want to use the Cloud Key or the new Cloud Key G2, but the USG doesn't have a PoE port and I don't want to have another cable there to power it...so if I plugged the USG into a US-8-60w, it would still be fine? I can't guarantee my PC will always be up, so like the idea of having the Cloud Key to remote in if I need to for some reason.

moving in 2 weeks, so need to get my network up and running first so I can move my home office smoothly.

I'm going to try going with a single AP...just debating over the LR or the Pro (for the higher bandwidth). the LR likely is enough and is a heck of a lot cheaper than the Pro.

though, on the flip side, the reviews on the new Aplifi tech is pretty good. some complaints on the looks of the AP's, but excellent performance. only issue with trying this gear out is lead time for delivery since it's only available out of the US currently.
Old February 1, 2019, 04:45 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Just the base USG? If you don't already own it, you might want to invest in the "Pro" as it's a bit beefier, especially if you're wanting to do any DPI or QoS on a >100Mbps WAN connection.

Should always have a switch after the router regardless, the US8-60W would likely suffice, but the US8-150W or even US16-150W would be more future proof.

Cloud Key Gen 2 Plus would be the way to go if you're planning to buy any UniFi cameras as it can act as the NVR too.
Old February 1, 2019, 06:02 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

we werent able to buy as planned so renting and no intention of setting up surveillance at this time. i’ve also heard that UBNT cameras aren’t much to be desired, unless they’ve made revisions to fix that. id prolly get the UCK-G2, not the plus. 1TB doesnt make for much storage capacity either. :P
Old February 3, 2019, 09:58 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Friendly View Post
we werent able to buy as planned so renting and no intention of setting up surveillance at this time. iíve also heard that UBNT cameras arenít much to be desired, unless theyíve made revisions to fix that. id prolly get the UCK-G2, not the plus. 1TB doesnt make for much storage capacity either. :P

I got the UCK-G2 Plus a couple of weeks ago. It's powered from my 16 port switch, but would run fine from US8-60W. I upgraded the NVR drive to 5TB. I like it a lot more than using my server for the NVR - the time lapse scroll feature is awesome. It's got a battery in it to do a soft shut down in a power outage so the drive won't corrupt. My UBNT cameras are pretty good, but I've seen sharper images from others. I have a Pro AP downstairs and a LR AP upstairs.

I am so impressed with both the Video and Network Unifi gear from Ubiquiti. Rock solid performance. The UI is fun with lots of tweaking and reporting available.
Attached Images

Old February 4, 2019, 08:01 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

from the pic, I guess you are have the USG? I'm afraid the picture is bad resolution...can't read anything off it. :P
Old February 4, 2019, 09:21 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

yup. USG
Old February 8, 2019, 12:13 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

what camera's are you running TGG? I'm looking at two...one each for the front and back doors.

they don't really have a lot of options, but any recommendations for wide fov and high resolution?
Old February 8, 2019, 08:28 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I'm using the regular G3 cameras, two in front and one in rear. Overall I am pretty happy with them. Been rock solid.

For me, it was very important to have secure cameras and not one of those skeevy ones out there that don't get updated and get hacked like in the Mirai botnet attack. Ubiquiti seems pretty on the ball with security updates and patch holes quick from what I have seen.
Old February 9, 2019, 01:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I figured i would chime in here on this. I recently completed an ongoing project to migrate my entire network over the ubiqiuiti equipment (specifically unifi).

1. For the unifi switches. you might want to steer clear of the 16 port as there has been a long thread on ubiquitis forums indicating issues with poe on that model and overheating causing poe shutdown/reboots. Having said that i have a 16 port in my configuration and have not had any problems on it.

2. I personally went with 2 UAP-AC Lite's instead of one long range, but either should be fine.

3. For the cloud key for basic network functionality the environment can run without needing the controller online. However some features (such as the captive portal for guest wifi does).

4. The the USG pro's are nice but the last time i checked they are also double the price of the USG so i guess it begs the question as to whether you actually need the additional power behind the bigger firewall.

5. I also believe ubiquiti is moving away from passive poe so that is something to watch out for. You don't want to get stuck with a new switch and older device and still not being able to power it over poe and need an injector.

6. I also have the cameras (2x G3 Dome) and they work great.

For my setup instead of going the NVR or Cloudkey route i picked up an intel NUC on a sale and made a controller out of it. It's been working great for almost a year now.

My setup for reference.

1x Ubiquiti Unifi USG
2x Ubiquiti Unifi UAP-AC Lite
1x Ubiquiti Unifi UAP-Lite
1x Ubiquiti Unifi USW-48P Non POE
1x Ubiquiti Unifi USW-16P POE
2x Ubiquiti Unifi 1Gbps SFP, Multimode Fiber (for connecting the 2 switches, used a 1M OM2 LC/LC cable)
5x Ubiquiti Unifi UVP
2x Ubiquiti Unifi G3 Dome

Old February 11, 2019, 12:05 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

just ordered a USG, US-8-60w and a UAP-AC-LITE. I think the 400ft range it has will be more than enough to cover the house. :)