Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 8, 2018, 07:13 AM
Top Prospect

Default Garbage Wireless Setup...Options?

I just moved into a new apartment/room rental scenario. Either the wireless is garbage or I have fantastic luck at buying trash usb adapters. The network appears to be split into a wireless N 2.4ghz connection, and a wireless AC 5 ghz adapter. The first adapter I tried was an older N300 Linksys AE1200. It managed to connect to the N/2.4 but sporadically drops bandwidth even with a strong connection. I'm now using an Asus AC-53 Nano usb receiver. It connected to the AC/5 but this connection seems to be bandwidth limited by the landlord, and I'm getting much weaker signal strength with occasional dropouts. The router is located somewhere on the floor below me in a medium sized house. I'll have to work something out with the landlord to get the details of the network configuration, but I also need to figure out a solution that will actually work.

An adapter with a high bandwidth isn't really necessary here. I think we are on the base NS fiberOp package, and 300mbps is more than enough for any connection I'd be able to talk the landlord into upgrading to. The main issue is signal strength and finding a competent adapter. I suspect the issue with N/2.4 is the adapter is incompetent at maintaining bandwidth, and the issue with the Asus may be that AC/5 just isn't great at passing through obstacles like flooring/insulation. I'm a little out of date on my A+ training though, so I'm open to corrections. An alternative option appears to be an ethernet power outlet adapter, allowing a direct connection without additional wiring, but I'm not sure how difficult that would be to configure on the router side of things.
Old November 8, 2018, 07:32 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

More than likely I'd say that the Wi-Fi source is more of an issue than the adapter you're using on your end. Most of the modem/routers that ISPs hand out are meh at best. If that's the case then you can't really do much to get a signal that doesn't want to reach you. In this scenario, positioning your end is going to be huge as trying to get a decent signal at a low angle through the floor is nearly impossible, especially for the 5GHz. Making it as close to vertical between the router and your end will probably get you further ahead than buying a super fancy wireless card. With that said though, finding something with external antennas instead of those small USB sticks could also help.
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old November 8, 2018, 07:59 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lpfan4ever View Post
More than likely I'd say that the Wi-Fi source is more of an issue than the adapter you're using on your end. Most of the modem/routers that ISPs hand out are meh at best. If that's the case then you can't really do much to get a signal that doesn't want to reach you. In this scenario, positioning your end is going to be huge as trying to get a decent signal at a low angle through the floor is nearly impossible, especially for the 5GHz. Making it as close to vertical between the router and your end will probably get you further ahead than buying a super fancy wireless card. With that said though, finding something with external antennas instead of those small USB sticks could also help.
The land lord indicated he is using an ethernet over power line adapter, and recommended I try a similar solution. Hopefully I can just plug one in on my end and connect to the existing adapter.
Old November 8, 2018, 08:17 AM
Top Prospect

He's got a tp link wall adapter connected to the router. I haven't identified the model number yet. Will there be any problem tapping into the existing powerline network provided by the tp link, and do I need to brand/model match the existing adapter for it to work?

I still can't identify the model number, it's got the tp link logo in very faint lettering, bottom right, but other than that there isn't much to go on. If this is an older network adapter and we may have 3-4 people piling on the network, I'd like to know how outdated it might be.

Last edited by mikjames; November 8, 2018 at 08:28 AM.
Old November 8, 2018, 09:55 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

this is just a wild guess/ suggestion for something to try I am wondering if you had a router that if you could turn it into a repeater or booster type thing and just set that up at around the halfway point. I read somewhere about a year ago that the power line type things are hit and miss because it rally depends on the building wiring.
Old November 8, 2018, 10:13 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
this is just a wild guess/ suggestion for something to try I am wondering if you had a router that if you could turn it into a repeater or booster type thing and just set that up at around the halfway point. I read somewhere about a year ago that the power line type things are hit and miss because it rally depends on the building wiring.
I mean yeah I could try that if the power line option fails...but why go for something inferior before trying a potentially better option? I've read the same thing with a quick google search, that older standards and older wiring posed a roadblock to power line networks. However newer standards in the adapters and home wiring have apparently mitigated this issue. So far the land lord has been a very agreeable host, allowing me to have a look at the configuration and showing an interest keeping tenants happy, a far cry from a lot of land lords. I'm sure he wouldn't mind if I happened to update the existing potentially older model of Tp link adapter at no cost to him.
Old November 8, 2018, 12:13 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikjames View Post
I mean yeah I could try that if the power line option fails...but why go for something inferior before trying a potentially better option? I've read the same thing with a quick google search, that older standards and older wiring posed a roadblock to power line networks. However newer standards in the adapters and home wiring have apparently mitigated this issue. So far the land lord has been a very agreeable host, allowing me to have a look at the configuration and showing an interest keeping tenants happy, a far cry from a lot of land lords. I'm sure he wouldn't mind if I happened to update the existing potentially older model of Tp link adapter at no cost to him.
If you're willing to go that far... maybe you should offer to upgrade the system to a proper AP that's designed for multiple connections?

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 1X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / Uncased 256GB Sandisk Z400S SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 24" Westinghouse L2410NM
Old November 9, 2018, 12:42 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
If you're willing to go that far... maybe you should offer to upgrade the system to a proper AP that's designed for multiple connections?
Or...wireless can go die somewhere quietly where I never have to deal with it ever again... Turns out the existing PLN adapters weren't outdated at all. We've got 2 AV500 power line networks running flawlessly now on the same router, a Tp link and a Dlink. I couldn't get them to sync with each other. I might switch out the Dlinks for Tp links in the future to mitigate having dual channels running through the same lines, but I needed something reliable and had to buy local. 50$ I spent, how much does a proper AP setup cost?...yeah that's what I thought There's nothing stopping me from connecting a cheap wireless router to the PLN in the future.