Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 23, 2019, 10:49 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default the first unique/innovative phone in a long time!

https://www.engadget.com/2019/01/23/...zero-no-ports/
I have been wondering about when tech would start to be embedded under the screen or when they would figure out how to use the screen for things like speakers etc. looking forward to hear how this concept device works out!
Old January 23, 2019, 11:21 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I like the idea, and it could certainly help improve water resistance, my concern would be sound quality. Even a phone with a single speaker sound much worse when playing music or anything compared to phones with dual speakers, I'm not sure a hybrid OLED speaker will sound very good, or possibly have the volume to hear a caller when in a busy environment. The lack of a microSD would be annoying as well (although that's not uncommon).

It's a neat idea though, and if it actually turns out half-decent I'd be on board. I've largely shifted to bluetooth headsets and use a wireless charger already. I've actually got rubber plugs in my Note 9's headset and usb ports anyway to keep dust and water out.
Old January 23, 2019, 12:38 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I'm with you on that Knight...this first attempt will probably leave a lot to be desired because of the issues you mentioned. but, after a few more gens of development, they should have truly viable solutions. :)