Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 9, 2018, 09:23 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default Chromebook

Hey, me again.

Sister called and her 12 year old daughter wants a Chromebook or a phone for Christmas, but she is not getting her a phone she said. She tried a chromebook at school and now wants one and not an iPad like I told her to get.
I was looking for one for her and dont know what to tell her to get. A lot of the reviews are not good. The HP Chromebook x2 looks awesome but it is not available in Canada. She is looking for something under $400 tax incl. Decent battery life is important. Maybe an iPad is the way to go?

Thanks for any help!
Old November 9, 2018, 10:46 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Get an iPad. The build quality is way better than any Chromebook on the market.
Old November 10, 2018, 10:21 AM
F@H

My System Specs

That's tough though, if the school is using Chromebooks and teaching them on that, it may be better to stick to that. Especially if it's primary use is to do school work, likely everything is integrated into the G Suite Apps and having a proper keyboard to type on would be beneficial.
Old November 11, 2018, 12:40 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

I kind of figured that an iPad was better, time to convince her too.

I do not think the school was using them, though I am not 100% sure on that, I think it was a friends she tried. It seems some schools are using them though.
Old Yesterday, 08:23 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

My daughter's school is heavy into Chromebooks. Having the suite of Google apps is convenient for working on things at school and at home.

If she doesn't need to have the Chromebook, of course you can pair an iPad with a nice keyboard for a decent setup. I wouldn't want to type anything of significance on any tablet without a physical keyboard.
i7 4790K @ 4.5GHz (Swiftech H240-X) | ASUS Z97-Pro WiFi | 32GB Patriot Viper 1600MHz | ASUS ROG GTX 1080 Ti Strix | EX920 512GB, MX100 512GB, MX300 2TB, HDD 500GB (x2) | EVGA Supernova 850W G2 | Corsair 650D | Mayflower Electronics O2+ODAC, USB sound for mic, Sennheiser PC360 SE | Acer Predator X34, BenQ 21.5" | Windows 10 Pro
Old Today, 08:24 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I've sold a lot of Chromebooks for students...so yeh, find out if their school is using that ecosystem.