Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 16, 2018, 07:32 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default Samsung S7 Edge glass replacement

Hey guys, So a while back I was asking about this and decided not to screw around as I didnt want to mess up my Gfs phone anymore than it already was...

NOW, shes getting a new phone so I can mess around with no consequences!

My S7 edge oled and digitizer function normally, just the glass is shattered so a glass only repair is needed.

Ifixit rated this a 3/10 for repair-ability...
I watched several YouTube videos of guys who had great success, just took alot of patients and time (which I have).

So what I cant really figure out are the following:

- Do I need to remove the screen from the phone (requires taking off the back possibly breaking it and taking the entire phone apart)

- Can I really just use 99% rubbing alcohol, oils, goof off, nail polish remover etc to remove the old oca glue without dulling or damaging the digitizer and oled? Or do I need to buy the special hexane stuff?

- Does Loca glue really need A uv light to cure, or is it just faster? I read about leaving it in the sun works too but may over heat the phone.

I obviously could post on a phone repair forum but you guys are always super helpfull in all things tech which is the reson for posting here!

Thanks for your help!
Old November 16, 2018, 10:48 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Update, This is not something you want to do. I was successful removing the glass ( 99% rubbing alcohol is the best thing to use) but then there is a layer of plastic they call "the foil" that is impossible to remove and I scrapped the screen while doing it. Sooo long story short you are better off buying the LCD with the glass. I just picked up a screen with the mid frame off aliexpress for 200$.. Ill save 160 bucks or so compared to what Ubreak Ifix wanted.. Now its stuck in the mail because of the Post canada strikes with 3 other things Ive purchased lately!
Old November 18, 2018, 09:04 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

My wife dropped my S7 Edge on the concrete walk. Cracked the glass on the bottom rear. I want to get it fixed as well. Hopefully it won't cost too much.
Old November 19, 2018, 10:28 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Just the back? Super easy to fix on your own. Just need a hair dryer and some guitar picks. The replacement is super cheap too https://www.ebay.ca/itm/For-Samsung-...Vlg:rk:11:pf:0
Old November 19, 2018, 03:58 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Thanks Dan! Yeah, just the back thank God.
Old November 19, 2018, 07:12 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

No prob, good luck with it!