Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 23, 2018, 07:27 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default mobile contracts - where to look for promo's and such?

looking to do some cost cutting. my deals are already really good, but like I said, trying to cost cut.

Me: Fido @ $60/m - 6GB DATA, unlimited Canada calling and international texting
Wife: Fido @ $75/m - 10GB DATA, unlimited Canada calling and international texting

Wife uses data, but I barely touch mine.

any recommendations?
Old January 23, 2018, 09:53 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You aren't going to find better than that unless you switch to freedom.
Old January 23, 2018, 10:39 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I've heard of deals on redflagdeals forums if you google for wireless deals, I mainly search Rogers because of history with them. YMMV, the big 3 seem to offer different deals to different customers in the same postal code.

Did you buy a phone Friendly? which did you get?
Old January 23, 2018, 12:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Public Mobile is worth checking out as well. I'm on a 4GB/mo, unlimited text, unlimited province calling plan for $40/mo. With discounts it's under $30. They've got some different plans out there at the moment but worth looking into.
Old January 23, 2018, 04:49 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCD View Post
Public Mobile is worth checking out as well. I'm on a 4GB/mo, unlimited text, unlimited province calling plan for $40/mo. With discounts it's under $30. They've got some different plans out there at the moment but worth looking into.
+1 I think Public is the only "value" carrier worth looking at lately. At least it's still backed by Koodo aka Telus (and shared Bell) network.

I've had no service issues and got in on the $120/12GB/90-day (aka $40/4GB/month) plan a while back. I down to $105 ($35/month) now from my couple referrals and loyalty discount. Yes - a company that actually gives you a discount after each year you remain a customer. Crazy concept!

If you really don't use your data, you can go with the $105 90 day plan: unlimited province-talk, unlimited global text, and 1.5GB 3G data (use how you want over the 90 days). You'll have some data if you need it at least. That's almost half of what you are paying today.

Last edited by JD; January 23, 2018 at 04:57 PM.
Old January 23, 2018, 04:50 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I currently have an LG G5 and the wife's got an iPhone 6+...or 6s+, don't remember.

i want an iPhone 8+, but I'm borked and there's no real reason to as the G5 is just fine for the few things I do use it for.

just wondering if there is a way to trim my bill down enough to have a real effect as I do know my current costs are really good in comparison to the big three.

...here's hoping it doesn't become the big four, one Shaw has really got itself established with Freedom Mobile.
Old January 23, 2018, 10:30 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Friendly View Post
I currently have an LG G5 and the wife's got an iPhone 6+...or 6s+, don't remember.

i want an iPhone 8+, but I'm borked and there's no real reason to as the G5 is just fine for the few things I do use it for.

just wondering if there is a way to trim my bill down enough to have a real effect as I do know my current costs are really good in comparison to the big three.

...here's hoping it doesn't become the big four, one Shaw has really got itself established with Freedom Mobile.
https://willmyphonework.net/

Might help you figure out. ^

I was perusing Publicmobile and it looks to be the better if it works well. https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/plans
Old January 24, 2018, 05:26 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

thanks for reference to that coast...but not really anything I needed. I know my phones are compatible with almost every carrier out there.

gotta check out what Freedom Mobile data reliability is like now. I can save about $30/m for almost identical plans vs. Fido. also need to see what rules there are for out-of-zone area's. Edmonton's fine for my family...but her's is in Prince Rupert, which suffers from having very little due to how remote it is. :P
Old January 29, 2018, 07:44 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Friendly View Post
thanks for reference to that coast...but not really anything I needed. I know my phones are compatible with almost every carrier out there.

gotta check out what Freedom Mobile data reliability is like now. I can save about $30/m for almost identical plans vs. Fido. also need to see what rules there are for out-of-zone area's. Edmonton's fine for my family...but her's is in Prince Rupert, which suffers from having very little due to how remote it is. :P
Canadian Cellular Towers Map

I ran across this today regarding Freedom ^.
Old January 30, 2018, 04:02 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by upcoast604 View Post
Canadian Cellular Towers Map

I ran across this today regarding Freedom ^.
Oh wow, thats cool. Looking at it, I now know why Bell/Telus = awesome signal at my house, vs Fido/Rogers which is shit.