Go Back   Hardware Canucks > Mac, iPhone & iPod > Mac

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 12, 2018, 03:23 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default discuss the new Mac Mini

well, there was a tear down and the RAM is upgradeable, but CPU and storage are soldered on.

that said, word is the new T2 chip locks down a lot of hardware to block non-authorized Apple repair.

interesting this is happening as Apple is being chased for stopping this type of thing with orders to open up or face fines/'sanctions by whatever bureau covers fair use, etc.
Old November 12, 2018, 03:55 PM
Hall Of Fame

They probably finalized the design before the updated DRM laws to allow right to repair. Of course they can say it doesn't stop people from repairing it, just have to repair it at their authorized shop. Interested to see if Apple will get sued for preventing self repair. I don't mind a slightly thicker device if I can put in my own RAM and NVME drive.
Old November 14, 2018, 12:31 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

that could be...but I sure hope it results in their being fined and such.
Old November 14, 2018, 02:49 PM
Hall Of Fame

I think Dave Lee on Youtube said it best regarding MacBook Air, from a technical (hardware) perspective, it is simply overpriced at $1200 USD. People buy it because it's a Mac and it's using OSX whether they really like OSX or stuck in their ecosystem.
Old November 14, 2018, 03:22 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

very few reasons to be stuck in their ecosystem now. that might change if they go back to using RISC chips they're supposedly designing though...