What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

iPhone 3GS

belgolas

Well I just ordered the iPhone 3GS for $299 upgrade price. I should be able to get it in 5-10 business days. I was originally had to pay the $549 but rogers is doing a sale promotion that lets you upgrade for $299 if you have purchased your iphone 3G at a certain time which I did and spent consistently $100 every month for a wireless plan but I only had about $87 a month on wireless. So technically I am not eligble for the upgrade for $299 and have to pay $549. So if I would have to pay $549 I would say screw it and not upgrade because it isn't that big of a jump.

here is the promotion...
Offer 2:
If you are an existing iPhone 3G customer who activated or upgraded to your iPhone 3G from July 11-Sep 30 2008 and have consistently spent on average of $100 or more each month on your Rogers wireless services (pre-tax and including any type of wireless service charges) you will get $500 off the no-term price of an iPhone 3GS (you get to keep your current iPhone 3G), provided that you have a data plan and extend your service agreement by 1 year. If a family plan account spends on average over $100 in wireless services during the above period, the account will be able to upgrade one line with this limited time offer. This offer does not apply for upgrading to an iPhone 3G. This offer also does not apply to customers that have a smartphone other then the iPhone.

No-term Offer 1 Offer 2 iPhone 3G S 16 GB $699 $449 $199 iPhone 3G S 32 GB $799 $549 $299

So after several hours on the phone and several people saying I couldn't upgrade for the sale price I got to speak to someone kind enough to let me have it :). The only reason why I kept calling was because on a different forum some people got the special price even though they were $30 under the required monthly bill. So I knew I could get it at just $18 under. Now when I get my 3GS I may downgrade my plan to something cheaper but Rogers is probably going to do the same thing next year so maybe not.

So I am going to sell my old 3G phone on ebay and get around $450-500 for it to easily cover the cost. Like I said before I would do this if I could cover the cost because it isn't a major upgrade. Oh it is the 32GB black model :)!!

ChuckleBrother

I should try this, I want to upgrade(I jailbreak and the memory usage is awful) but have to wait until Nov 9 apparently. Did they give you any issues with not being past your update time? If not I should definitely call in, those retention guys will give many things to keep me.

belgolas

Just complain and say that you have read about other people doing it. It was easy once someone actually let me speak to the retention center. Make sure you talk to the retention center because the other reps can't do special deals. Remember this extends your contract by one year.

Arinoth

Staff member
I personally think its a new money grab, as per most cell phones are with the new little extra features they keep adding. Really, how many people honestly need all the extra crap they cram into cell phones. What ever happened to when just being able to call someone up and the phone wasn't the size of your head was good enough?

ChuckleBrother

I like the little gizmos, I use it to read books on the bus, read my news, listen to music, webfeeds and to find my busses when I'm going somewhere. Not strictly necessary but it is very handy to have.

ipaine

I will be getting one as well. Of course I'm not paying for it, work is.:thumb:

I have not had one myself but I am looking forward to getting it. I am very much not an Apple person, but I have to admit that the 3GS does look like a nice phone.

A big plus for me is that it syncs well with exchange and works well with our wifi at work.

belgolas

I personally think its a new money grab, as per most cell phones are with the new little extra features they keep adding. Really, how many people honestly need all the extra crap they cram into cell phones. What ever happened to when just being able to call someone up and the phone wasn't the size of your head was good enough?
I used my phone for a hell of a lot of stuff. First off I use the phone part the least cause I don't have much time to stand around and talk at work so when working I am almost 100% of the time listening to music or podcasts. When we have break or lunch I do many things. I either surf the web (usually read the news and sometimes check the forum), watch movies/tv shows/video podcasts, youtube, and lastly play games. On the way to work and back (we car pool) I have at the minimum 1 hour to and 1 hour back from work and if we work far away it can be 2-3 hours ther and 2-3 hours back. So I like to have some entertainment. I work in construction. Then it is nice to call and text and email all in this device.

So as you can see I use this phone like a laptop except it can fir in my pocket. I also love the many apps that are on the phone. I have at least 100 apps on my phone and it is growing. Now the new iPhone 3GS has more storage and a video camera I don't need to carry more then one device. I will certainly use this phone to the fullest.

It also isn't a money grab because I get it for free because I can sell my old iPhone 3G 3.0 to contries that still don't have to iPhone like China. So what isn't to love?

I will never need a net book. I already have one that can do oh so much more. Just need MS word.

jcmaz

Entertainment: PSP 2k
Phone: LG Chocolate
Camera: Sony DSC H9
Music: Sansa 230

You could get all this stuff for less than the price of 2 Iphones.

ChuckleBrother

At the cost of 5x the pocket space:)

I also use my phone tether for mobile Internet, which is great as my school network blocks a lot of things. Plus atm I am on break posting this:) pretty handy for some of us(plus Sansas suck so hard, I'd rather a Zune

Latest posts