Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > HTPC Systems & Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 21, 2019, 02:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I actually think I'm going to be going with a TCL 6 series TV with Roku built in. So I'll be using that for most of my streaming services now. Pretty much what I'm looking for at this point is a way to effectively stream my PC games to the TV and play in 4K. My understanding is that the Shield is by far the best option for this. Is that wrong? The one exception to this is Steam Link on the Apple TV. But I've not had time to do any research on that yet.
Old June 21, 2019, 03:51 PM

My System Specs

Just be aware that Prime Video is still broken on Roku. Anything that should have embedded subtitles has none. Turning on CC just shows a bunch of gibberish (actually english pronunciation of the foreign language ). Man in a High Castle, Hanna, Jack Ryan, Good Omens, etc are all unwatchable.
Complete
Forever Alone Complete
Old June 21, 2019, 04:44 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Amazon/Toshiba refreshed their FireTV's this week too which includes Dolby Vision support now, might be worth a look too.
Old June 23, 2019, 02:28 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

When Cleaning/updating library in Kodi. From the htpc is there a way to speed that up trying find if the bottle neck is the gigabyte network or HDD. I can test with primo cache + dram cache to see if that'll work. Or set a nvme as a L2 Cache.
Mobo - Rog Asus Apex x299
Ram - 64 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200mhz 4x16GB
GPU - Vega FE 1650 Core 1080 HBM 2 (1120MV)
PSU - Evga 1500 watt Supernova
Case Corsair 1000D
Storage
1.intel 905p 380GB M.2 (Os)
2.intel 900p 280GB U.2 to Pcie(Ark)
3.intel DC3700 1.6TB (Work)
3.iron wolf 14TB 256mb (Bulk)
4.intel 750 1.2TB (steam)
Old June 23, 2019, 03:17 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowarez View Post
When Cleaning/updating library in Kodi. From the htpc is there a way to speed that up trying find if the bottle neck is the gigabyte network or HDD. I can test with primo cache + dram cache to see if that'll work. Or set a nvme as a L2 Cache.
Are you using anything to manage the backend? IMO use Plex, Jellyfin, or Emby on a 'server' to manage the media.

I use Plex, then I use the PlexKodiConnect kodi plugin so I get native playback. Takes just a few minutes to sync the metadata.
Complete
Forever Alone Complete
Old June 24, 2019, 06:39 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
Just be aware that Prime Video is still broken on Roku. Anything that should have embedded subtitles has none. Turning on CC just shows a bunch of gibberish (actually english pronunciation of the foreign language ). Man in a High Castle, Hanna, Jack Ryan, Good Omens, etc are all unwatchable.
That's good info to have. Although, I'm sure whatever box I get will have a Prime app for it that should solve the issue.
Old June 24, 2019, 08:20 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Prime video works fine on my Roku Premier+ and my TCL TVs in Rocky. The only oddity I found is that you have to choose the subtitle options in the show's page and set them prior to watching the video otherwise you'll have a good chance of non-English subs.

Just tested it out with Kabaneri and Dororo and both showed english subs without problems.
Old June 24, 2019, 08:54 AM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeKnight View Post
Prime video works fine on my Roku Premier+ and my TCL TVs in Rocky. The only oddity I found is that you have to choose the subtitle options in the show's page and set them prior to watching the video otherwise you'll have a good chance of non-English subs.

Just tested it out with Kabaneri and Dororo and both showed english subs without problems.
Ok it sorta works. But it far from fine. You are watching a show w/ only a single language. Watch Jack Ryan, you are either stuck w/ closed captioning (not just subtitles) or turning if on/off continually throughout the episode. That isn't ok.
Complete
Forever Alone Complete
Old June 24, 2019, 09:27 AM
Top Prospect

Prime actually works better on the Roku than the native samsung one sometimes. The Samsung one often anything with subtitles is delayed by a few seconds. Can make it condusing during conversations when the next character is speeking and they finally show the text of the last person.