Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > HTPC Systems & Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 4, 2019, 07:51 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
I'm not an Apple user either, but AFAIK, it supports all those things. I'm sure Disney will support it at launch too. Steam Link is supported, so you can stream games that way?

This week Apple announced XBOX and PS4 controller support is coming too.

It seems to be the ideal "tv box" at the moment, as much as it pains me to even recommend or consider an Apple product.
Looked at the price. $229 ain't bad.

Anyone here w/ one? I'm curious if Amazon Prime Canada has working embedded subtitles? They are broke on Roku and I've heard they don't work on a few other platforms as well.
Complete
Forever Alone Complete
Old June 5, 2019, 06:45 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Supporting Steam Link could be a game changer for me on that front. I'll have to dig in to it. I do already have a couple XBOX 360 controllers with USB wireless. I'd likely be going that route on any device I get. It's also good to know the Shield controller is crap, so I'll steer clear.
Old June 5, 2019, 07:01 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Wait, which controller is crap? The 15 or the 17? Or both?

I think most PC Master Race people have their controller of choice anyways. I'm partial to the XBONE. Plus you can just buy the shield version you want without a controller and save the $.
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old June 5, 2019, 08:19 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

My favorite controller is still xbox360...glad I have a few to last.

As for the OP, I would still consider a shield, if the price is right. I think it should be updated soon (though I haven't heard anything about it actually happening).
Old June 5, 2019, 10:36 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
Wait, which controller is crap? The 15 or the 17? Or both?

I think most PC Master Race people have their controller of choice anyways. I'm partial to the XBONE. Plus you can just buy the shield version you want without a controller and save the $.
I think its the same.. The 17 at least is just cheap feeling and awkward to hold (facets). Like the kind you get with a 30$ Drone or something. I guess I am just used to PS4/Switch...

I don't game on it though so it didn't matter to me.

Edit: Nope the 2015 was different and a hot mess in comparison... Definitely don't get that one..

Last edited by Entz; June 5, 2019 at 10:41 AM.
Old June 5, 2019, 10:40 AM
Folding Captain

The nVidia Shield has been very solid for me. It is running 12 hours a day straight streaming IPTV without needing to reboot, etc.

I don't game and I am only only using it as 1080P, but it holds up better than other Amazon streaming boxes I have tried that would get hot, freeze and need reboots, etc. This thing is solid.
Fold for team #54196