Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > HTPC Systems & Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 18, 2017, 11:35 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Getting PBS on Roku in Canada

I can't take it anymore guys. I want PBS. I neeeeeed PBS. I'm going through Nova and Dateline withdrawal.

In all seriousness; I'd like to be able to stream PBS's app easily to my TV. They have a roku app that's available with the PBS Passport but only for Americans. I've tried adding Plex to my PC and the PBS channel in Plex but I seem to get 'this channel is not responding' constantly.

Am I best off looking into a VPN through my router and just using an American location? Is there an easier alternative besides constantly torrenting new shows (which I don't currently do and don't have much interest in).

If only netflix's documentary lineup didn't suck so badly
Old November 18, 2017, 12:02 PM

My System Specs

I don't use a Roku anymore but when I wanted to get the Amazon app I used a USA DNS on my router, setup a USA Roku account, installed the channels. Then I no longer needed to use the DNS (as it broke Netflix). Now I can't confirm if the PBS channel will work w/ the DNS/VPN not connected or not.

https://rokuincanada.com/canadian-ro...erican-content
Complete
Forever Alone Complete
Old November 18, 2017, 12:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
I don't use a Roku anymore but when I wanted to get the Amazon app I used a USA DNS on my router, setup a USA Roku account, installed the channels. Then I no longer needed to use the DNS (as it broke Netflix). Now I can't confirm if the PBS channel will work w/ the DNS/VPN not connected or not.

https://rokuincanada.com/canadian-ro...erican-content
Thanks lowfat, I'll give that a shot today or tomorrow.
Old December 17, 2017, 06:44 AM
Trial Member

Default PBS in Canada

ustvnow offers a free package that works in canada. 7 free channels including PBS, and works great on the roku.