Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 24, 2016, 05:51 PM
Hall Of Fame

Default WTF is protein folding ?

I've been asked this question a lot , by non-science people ...I had a good response today , when I explained it , I thought I would pass this on.
---------------

I started with basic chemistry : 2 atoms of hydrogen + 1 atom of oxygen = water.

I then went onto C6H6 ( it's not just benzene), and showed them this page :
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C6H6
We then discussed how one chemical formula can be many things , and they can be 'shaped' in different ways.

So far so good.

So let's talk about a protein everybody is familiar with : hemoglobin. Your blood !!
It's formula is this :

C2952 H4664 N812 O840 S8 Fe4

It looks like this :

------

At this point , it's helpful to look at the 'ribbon view' :

----
This illustrates the 'shape' very well.

So back to the 1 formula is many different chemicals thing .People start to understand the scope of folding at this point.The sheer math is intimidating.

Last thing I explained was that when hemoglobin folding goes bad , sickle cell is one of the things that happens , and this is only one of thousands of proteins , and this issue causes a lot of disease like cancer/etc/etc....

'Nuff said !

Last edited by BrainEater; November 24, 2016 at 06:05 PM.
Old November 24, 2016, 08:47 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Or you can cut the chemistry class and explain that protein folding is the process in which proteins combine together in any given condition and the result of this can be benefic for us like cures to diseases or negative like any given condition that is known so far. In many many cases we do know what they do, what we don't know so far in most cases is the why and which conditions trigger the combinations bad for us. Which is where F@h comes in and simulates the outcome of some proteins that combine together (they fold together). Ain't that a bit simpler?
Old November 25, 2016, 04:47 PM
Hall Of Fame

O good lord no.

I've tried your way many times , peoples eyes glaze over before your first sentence is done.

-----

My description isn't even correct technically , but it works.
I used it again today.
I explained it to 4 people ,in under 2 mins , to the point of comprehension, at least of the math .

The chemistry is the hook.
Everybody understands H20 is water , CO2 is carbon dioxide.
When you show em a giant molecule like a protein they immediately get the math.
------

Listen , I got 2 free 1070's today , with my explanation.
Lemme know how you do with yours.

Old November 25, 2016, 06:42 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainEater View Post
Listen , I got 2 free 1070's today , with my explanation.
Lemme know how you do with yours.

...mic drop.

Follow my benching, folding, mining and miscellaneous shenanigans @dt_oc
Old November 27, 2016, 01:31 PM
Hall Of Fame

Heheh !!
Pretty much .

Nice to see you DT !
Gonna stop by for a month ?