Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 7, 2019, 10:15 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default anyone here going to try Google Stadia?

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/go...per-month.html

info released on the games that will be available at launch in November. also got an email from Google saying you can pre-order the Chromecast Ultra and their controller for $170.
Old June 7, 2019, 10:20 AM
Hall Of Fame

nope don't see a point.
Old June 7, 2019, 10:30 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Even though I have good internet where I live, there is no way I am dedicating that much Bandwidth per month when I don't have to for gaming.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old June 7, 2019, 10:35 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

consider the target...those that can't afford to buy $2000 gaming systems. spending $130 (US) for the controller and Chromecast dongle and then only a few bucks a month will be worth it, especially being the equipment will constantly scale as needed on Google's end while the monthly fee remains static.

there's the added bonus that I could continue to buy my Tiny form factor PC's...limited space and then not have to worry about eGPU boxes or anything else. the only issue I have is whether a keyboard/mouse will come available to use. I have zero interest in using a controller for PC gaming.
Old June 7, 2019, 10:41 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Friendly View Post
consider the target...those that can't afford to buy $2000 gaming systems. spending $130 (US) for the controller and Chromecast dongle and then only a few bucks a month will be worth it, especially being the equipment will constantly scale as needed on Google's end while the monthly fee remains static.

there's the added bonus that I could continue to buy my Tiny form factor PC's...limited space and then not have to worry about eGPU boxes or anything else. the only issue I have is whether a keyboard/mouse will come available to use. I have zero interest in using a controller for PC gaming.
Your failing to take into consideration the costs of upgrading your internet if you need to
These are American prices for the hardware.. which is $400
A $10/month charge

When you start adding this all up you can buy a pretty decent machine to play games on and still be far ahead.

This is just a gimmick by Google to attempt to try this market out.
Old June 7, 2019, 10:42 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Perhaps the way I look at it when I see the 4K requirements (and thus the bandwidth required to use) is that this is targeted at the affluent people whom live in areas where High Speed infrastructure is reliable / Fast / with tons of bandwidth to sustain the resolutions.

I.e. where I live and around where the houses like to start from the 'low 1millions' lol.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old June 7, 2019, 11:13 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

If they can come up with a "Netflix" style model maybe ... but paying them monthly, then paying a publisher likely the full 80$, never reduced, price to "rent" a new game is a no go for me. If it tied into steam or something maybe ...

A real console isn't that much more, especially after say 12 months (169+144=Xbox one s) and especially true if your internet kinda sucks..
Old June 7, 2019, 11:13 AM
F@H

My System Specs

The shield has been doing this since '15.

Based on the shields user base for their streaming service I dont see the market being that big...yet.
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old June 7, 2019, 11:17 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

From article: "streaming in 4K resolution with 60 FPS and HDR is promised, if your own Internet line is fast enough. Google recommends between 30 and 35 Mbps for this quality level."

I already have a Chromecast Ultra, but no 4K TV yet. But for people with a 4K TV, that is a pretty big promise from Google for some nice gaming visuals. I am one of those people with very fast Internet with no caps, so the 30-35 Mbps for 4K doesn't scare me. Actually I would have thought it would have to be more than that. Being able to buy the game and play it on Stadia without a subscription is a nice option, but already owning the game and having to pay again to play it on Stadia... not so much.

Was it stated anywhere that you had to use their controller or would existing wireless controllers work?

I have a lot invested in my PC setup, so this isn't something I am looking for. But I'll keep my eye on how it goes just the same. If they ever allow you to port over currently owned games that might tempt me for couch gaming... but I don't do that already with Steam, so maybe it wouldn't. Apparently I'm fickle lol
i7 8700K @ 4.8GHz (Swiftech H220) | ASUS Maximus X Code | 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4-3200 | ASUS ROG GTX 1080 Ti Strix OC ver. | EX920 512GB, MX100 512GB, MX300 2TB | EVGA Supernova 850W G2 | Meshify C | Mayflower Electronics O2+ODAC, USB sound for mic, Sennheiser PC360 SE | Acer Predator X34, BenQ 21.5" | Windows 10 Pro
Old June 7, 2019, 11:41 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

ah...so key misunderstanding. I didn't know you had to buy the games still...I thought that was included in your subscription. if it's not, then bollocks!

the Shield has been doing this for a while, but wasn't it only for Android games? can't compare desktop games to mobile games in any way. LoL!