Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 7, 2019, 06:43 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaflyx3 View Post
Geforce now is free. You just have to buy the games on steam or uplay.

that's the pits...having a play all service for a subscription was a really cool premise. renting the HW is still cool...but not as much and that's what was originally offered, so leaves a bitter taste in the mouth of those that knew what the original concept was to offer.
Old June 7, 2019, 07:07 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaflyx3 View Post
Geforce now is free. You just have to buy the games on steam or uplay.
Stadia's free version launches next year too, though capped at 1080p60 and stereo sound.

GeForce Now has never left beta and still isn't technically public.

As for the Internet bandwidth aspect, that's a real issue, but most people have access to unlimited services now for (relatively) reasonable prices. And with 5G on the horizon, connectivity should improve for most.
Old June 8, 2019, 12:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Ah it isn't hard to get 35 Mbps for 4k HDR. Rogers second lowest tier internet does 75 Mbps with unlimited usage. Bell's second lowest tier does 50 Mbps with unlimited usage. I don't see any problem with bandwidth unless you are with one of the smaller internet providers with crap plans.

Latency isn't that bad at least when I tried Nvidia's game service.

I own the Nvidia Shield TV and it has a lot of PC games you can stream for free. I haven't given Nvidia any money for their streaming service. I only have a 1080p TV and the streamed game from Nvidia's servers looked almost as good as if I were playing on my PC. I didn't notice much of an increased latency though I didn't play a fast paced shooter I just tried out Rise of the Tomb Raider. I honestly would be fine to play games on it but I hate using a controller and I prefer games that are better on keyboard like strategy games. So it isn't for me and I haven't really tried playing games on my Shield TV since I got it.

Oh and so far when Rogers says they have unlimited usage I haven't hit a peak yet. When my brothers and I all lived together we downloaded over 1TB of stuff in one month. By myself I usually only do a few hundred GB a month.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old June 10, 2019, 03:07 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

well...someone calculated the data required to stream 4K gaming and came up with nearly 1TB in just 65 hours of game play.

if you don't have a data cap now...you're gonna have one shortly, LoL!

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/go...cap,39597.html
Old June 10, 2019, 04:06 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Well. Thank god for grandfather clauses I guess.
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old June 10, 2019, 04:35 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I'm fortunate that City West also doesn't have data caps...likely because they don't have the faster speeds that Shaw and Telus offer. however, being they're the ONLY option here in Rupert, that's awfully generous of them.
Old June 11, 2019, 06:21 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

How soon after Stadia's release are we going to see a CBC/Global puff piece about some poor parent with a 1000$ cell bill for letting their kid use stadia on their phone while roaming in the US (or just from excess data here)....
Old June 11, 2019, 11:51 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Friendly View Post
I'm fortunate that City West also doesn't have data caps...likely because they don't have the faster speeds that Shaw and Telus offer. however, being they're the ONLY option here in Rupert, that's awfully generous of them.
Shaw doesn't have data caps, and Telus will remove theirs if you ask nice enough