Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 6, 2019, 02:32 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I did see the thing about the Legend Banner. That's kind of neat.
i7 8700K @ 4.8GHz (Swiftech H220) | ASUS Maximus X Code | 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4-3200 | ASUS ROG GTX 1080 Ti Strix OC ver. | EX920 512GB, MX100 512GB, MX300 2TB | EVGA Supernova 850W G2 | Meshify C | Mayflower Electronics O2+ODAC, USB sound for mic, Sennheiser PC360 SE | Acer Predator X34, BenQ 21.5" | Windows 10 Pro
Old February 6, 2019, 02:34 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lysrin View Post
I did see the thing about the Legend Banner. That's kind of neat.
As you play.. the top 3 players are shown on banners in the game.
Old February 8, 2019, 08:49 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I like it a lot more than any other recent BR game, played it for several hours last night.
Old February 8, 2019, 09:52 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Played 2 rounds yesterday. Decent first impression and I like it more than Fortnite. Hopefully I will have time to get a proper try of it tonight.
Old February 8, 2019, 10:19 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond007 View Post
Played 2 rounds yesterday. Decent first impression and I like it more than Fortnite. Hopefully I will have time to get a proper try of it tonight.
I'm really not sure how or why people are even comparing it to Fortnite.. It has NOTHING in common except being a BR.

Apex is more PubG/Team Fortress 2 with a lot of things done that make it so better.
Old February 8, 2019, 03:00 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I have been playing Apex Legends and enjoying it.

Context: I have never played any BR before - the concept of "building" in Fortnite was an absolute turn off, and none of the others seemed polished enough. Tarkov has been the only game in this vein that seemed potentially worth pursuing, but it had a plethora of issues that prevented me from ever bothering. Quick research suggested Apex didn't have the wall running/slide hopping/bunny hopping of Titanfall along with the Titans, which makes sense and is fine as these characters aren't Pilots.

I tried Apex because for the following reason: Respawn is already accomplished FPS developer, and Apex Legends is an FPS - not over the shoulder style such as other entries (other than Tarkov).

I continued playing because:

1) The classes have just enough flavour with their skillsets to be distinct, without anyone feeling necessary or overpowered. That includes the ultimate abilities. They feel like the oldschool design of Team Fortress and Weapon Factory, rather than the new MOBA style of Overwatch.

2) The aesthetics, sound, overall performance, lack of launch problems.

3) Enjoyment of Titanfall/Titanfall 2, familiarity with source engine, the game world, and it's weapons.

I still don't like the aspect of launching and rushing around to find equipment - I'd prefer if everyone started with a basic P2020 - but that's an aspect of the game type so I can't complain too much about it. I like small squad perma death style of gameplay and that easily overcomes it.

Old February 8, 2019, 04:47 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
I'm really not sure how or why people are even comparing it to Fortnite.. It has NOTHING in common except being a BR.

Apex is more PubG/Team Fortress 2 with a lot of things done that make it so better.
Agree it is different in many ways, but it is BR, free to play, similar map sizes, similar players per map. That said it is much more my style.
Old February 8, 2019, 05:44 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond007 View Post
Agree it is different in many ways, but it is BR, free to play, similar map sizes, similar players per map. That said it is much more my style.
Apex is 60 people spread out over 3 group teams
Old February 27, 2019, 09:11 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Pros:
good "no surprise" graphics engine;
team-play focused - good teams rule supreme;
adrenaline rush (addictive).
Cons:
unforgiving graphics for limited skill players, noobs, and older folk - flashy player skins make it very hard to track rapidly moving enemies on brightly colored background;
experienced players have triple advantage over you - they have map knowledge AND a lot better equipment due to map knowledge AND gunplay skill, so you either really good (fast learner and have a lot of time to sink into it), or you going to get bored;
uneven skills in team makes it "a running game" for anyone who is "getting carried" - better teammates finish the noob enemy super fast, and skilled enemy kill you super fast;
highly addictive (one more round).

For example, in BF as I get to kill players on my skill level or lower, but not in Apex as you do not get a chance for that. I am kind of enjoyed the novelty but going back to BFV.
Samsung 970 Pro 512GB + Samsung 950 Pro 512GB + Samsung 850 Pro 512GB + HGST 5400RPM 2TB
Evga GTX 1080 FTW 8GB + BenQ BL3201PH 4K 32"
Old February 27, 2019, 09:24 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 486 View Post
Pros:
good "no surprise" graphics engine;
team-play focused - good teams rule supreme;
adrenaline rush (addictive).
Cons:
unforgiving graphics for limited skill players, noobs, and older folk - flashy player skins make it very hard to track rapidly moving enemies on brightly colored background;
experienced players have triple advantage over you - they have map knowledge AND a lot better equipment due to map knowledge AND gunplay skill, so you either really good (fast learner and have a lot of time to sink into it), or you going to get bored;
uneven skills in team makes it "a running game" for anyone who is "getting carried" - better teammates finish the noob enemy super fast, and skilled enemy kill you super fast;
highly addictive (one more round).

For example, in BF as I get to kill players on my skill level or lower, but not in Apex as you do not get a chance for that. I am kind of enjoyed the novelty but going back to BFV.
If you can find good people to play with the game is really enjoyable. I've setup a discord channel with a few Apex players and I enjoy playing a few good rounds.

Apex isn't meant to be serious and a quick in and out game style.