Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 1, 2019, 09:14 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Default Metro Exodus

Well. I was really hyped about this game, as I enjoyed the previous two.

Just heard this news about exclusivity and have to say I'm not a happy camper. I didnt preorder on steam, and I wont touch Epic Launcher ever.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming...c-exclusivity/

What the ****, eh?
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old February 1, 2019, 09:26 AM
Top Prospect

Well that's a bit of a let down. Having to install an entirely different platform just to play one game is annoying - but not the end of the world.

People boycotting a potentially great game because of this is silly though.
Old February 1, 2019, 09:31 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADZ124 View Post
Well that's a bit of a let down. Having to install an entirely different platform just to play one game is annoying - but not the end of the world.

I dont feel that people showing their displeasure over marketing/politics is 'silly'. There is more to this then just installing another launcher. Steam is tried/tested/true, people have friends lists already set up, and the ecosystem in general is WAY above where Epic Games is at. It is also not tied to Epic games solely. There are several other reasons to dislike this move if you think about past issues with other marketers, like Origin, who have had issues. Some of them very serious be it security, or bugs and content blocking.

Voting with your wallet about exclusivity isn't silly. Its the only way we can say something as consumers about bad practices that are becoming common place in the industry (a la loot boxes). Simply put, I dont want to be tied to Launchers for content as much as possible.
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old February 1, 2019, 09:34 AM
Hall Of Fame

Eh who cares seriously.

Steam was once a good all around platform but it just doesn't work the same anymore since developers want to push half assed games out and get bad reviews on it. By having a developer use their own launcher the wrath can't be left on places like Steam.

NMS is a good example of this.
Old February 1, 2019, 09:44 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yea, I was hyped about it as well. Then they pulled this crap with the exclusive junk and well they lost my money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADZ124 View Post

I don't have an issue with having another launcher (don't like it but not super against it), the problem I have is with these exclusives. I have no issue with someone trying to compete with Steam, but do it based off of giving more to the publishers/developers and to the consumer. But paying publishers big chunks of cash to stay exclusive is completely anti-consumer. And really with Metro specifically, talk about using Steam for advertising and then leaving just a couple weeks before release? Complete DB move.

Well I will do my part to say this kind of behavior is not right (both Epic and Dark Silver) by not buying the game that I was planning to.

https://www.evga.com/associates/defa...CUV5OY6FY0U02O
Old February 1, 2019, 10:01 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Eh who cares seriously.
Me, and quite a few (tens?) of thousands of people apparently. I think the better question should be "Who doesnt care", and then we could say "Enaberif"!

Quote:
Steam was once a good all around platform but it just doesn't work the same anymore since developers want to push half assed games out and get bad reviews on it. By having a developer use their own launcher the wrath can't be left on places like Steam.
I know right! Heaven forbid game developers be accountable to their player base by feedback and reviews. Not to mention brigading doesnt work (unless you look for it) thanks to Steams algorithms.

Quote:
NMS is a good example of this.
Garbage, overhyped, under-developed, alpha-released game got trashed by players and fans expecting more from the developer is a good example of people feeding it to the developer? Gee. I wonder why.

Edit: I just re-read your post. I actually think you're saying the same thing I am? That developers are moving AWAY from steam so they can choose to not be accountable? Well, that makes sense...and gives me even more reason to not buy this game, and others like it.
Old February 1, 2019, 12:44 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Epic Gamers launcher in 2019 is like Steam in 2004. Or the first two versions of EA's digital platform, before the third attempt known as Origin. Understand what you are getting into and expect growing pains.

The 88/12 share split was a good way to gain marketshare and good will with the community. A game exclusive erodes that. People whom already have large collection of games they've yet to play through won't feel any need to rush to buy this game. They may however remember that Deep Silver/Epic Games did this and view it negatively. At any rate, Competition between digital platforms is a good thing, but Epic Games becoming the dominant force over Valve is of no benefit to the consumer - they already have one of the most widely used engines in circulation - controlling multiple aspects of PC gaming is not going to be beneficial for consumers.

On a personal level - I've already been annoyed at Epic for putting UT4 on an indefinite development halt in lieu of Fortnite, as I care nothing for BR style games. I have no interest in providing them with money until they can prove they have a viable digital distribution alternative, so I'm content waiting on my Metro:Exodus purchase.

Old February 1, 2019, 04:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'm pretty indifferent to this TBH. I can understand publishers wanting to get away from Steam to increase their profit margin (which, in theory, could get bigger budgets for games which, in theory, could mean better or less buggy games), and if I'm going to be honest, I've started to prefer GOG for games outside of just the 'Good Old Games' because I like the DRM free aspect and that they've gone a long way to fix old games. A lot of Steam's *features* are bloat or garbage to me at this point, there's almost too much to Steam.

I suppose the real question for the Metro team/publisher would be is the increase in profits going to offset the loss in sales by being exclusive. EA can (kind of) get away with Origin because they have enough AAA titles that are desired enough that people will generally suck it up and use Origin. Epic has.... Fortnite, this and a bunch of crap? Everything else is available on other stores already
Old February 1, 2019, 06:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeKnight View Post
I'm pretty indifferent to this TBH. I can understand publishers wanting to get away from Steam to increase their profit margin (which, in theory, could get bigger budgets for games which, in theory, could mean better or less buggy games), and if I'm going to be honest, I've started to prefer GOG for games outside of just the 'Good Old Games' because I like the DRM free aspect and that they've gone a long way to fix old games. A lot of Steam's *features* are bloat or garbage to me at this point, there's almost too much to Steam.

I suppose the real question for the Metro team/publisher would be is the increase in profits going to offset the loss in sales by being exclusive. EA can (kind of) get away with Origin because they have enough AAA titles that are desired enough that people will generally suck it up and use Origin. Epic has.... Fortnite, this and a bunch of crap? Everything else is available on other stores already
I have no issue with them competing with Steam or with publishers wanting to get more, but I just don't see paid exclusives as a good thing. First of all the smart thing to do would be to put your game on Steam, and Epic, and Origin, Uplay, Gog, etc. Frankly put it for sale everywhere you can. Then if Epic is giving you a better deal and you like that, price your game slightly lower on their store. Then you can still get more per copy from Epic and you will still get the sales from other people that are willing to pay more for it from other stores. That gives you the maximum exposure and ideally the least customer backlash. Plus if you do that and Steam sees that they are starting to lose more and more sales to Epic, then maybe they will decide to charge less.

Epic paying for the exclusive is them just saying nobody would purchase it from us if they had any other choice.

https://www.evga.com/associates/defa...CUV5OY6FY0U02O
Old February 1, 2019, 08:41 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Steam....already have Uplay....and Origins......not another ?!

Firestrike Extreme: 23.772K
https://www.3dmark.com/fs/17562471
Timespy: 18.613K
MARK 11: 40.185K
https://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/13079691