Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 11, 2018, 07:49 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Microsoft might be buying Obsidian

https://kotaku.com/sources-microsoft...ian-1829614135

Not sure how I feel about this. Obsidian is probably one of my favorite developers, right up there with CDPR, Nintendo's in house games and Bioware (or at least pre-EA Bioware....).

On the upside, the biggest complaint for Obsidian games was generally buginess and feeling rushed and Obsidian has said that's often the result of publisher interference and demanding the games come out before they were quite completed. This could potentially mean Obsidian could take the additional bit of time to make sure games are really polished on release. Pillars of Eternity was a big success for Obsidian and can show how they do with some decent financial stability. I can only imagine how good Alpha Protocol, New Vegas or KOTOR II could have been with just a bit more time at the end.

On the downside, Microsoft's track record with studios and/or exclusives is bad. Phantom Dust; Cancelled. Scalebound; Cancelled. Rare; turned into a crap studio. Even their partnership with Mistwalker only churned out two good, not amazing games (which is a shame as I really enjoyed parts of Lost Odyssey). Basically if you're not Gears of War, Crackdown or Halo chances are you're going the way of the dinosaur. I think a big reason that Sony's sales are dwarfing Microsoft's this gen is that there's basically no compelling exclusives for the Xbox at the moment. I have about 3 AAA titles on my Xbox One X and never power the thing on even. Compared to what I buy on PS4 let alone PC, it's just been a dud of a system.

Of course I don't think that they'd have Obsidian making console exclusives, their base is primarily PC gaming, but with Xbox so far behind this generation I'm hoping it wouldn't be something they'd try.
Old October 11, 2018, 10:46 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah I'm not sure what happened to XBOX. Ever since the XB1 launched, it's just never lived up to the 360. And if we're using Crackdown as an example, they announced that when the XB1 came out I believe, and the game still isn't available...

I can't say I got my money's worth out of my XB1 (and the Kinect even less so). I used my PS4 a lot for Destiny 2, but once that came to PC, now it too collects dust.

But the upside is that a lot of these "exclusives" are now on PC. Glad to see the PC coming back strong.

As for MS buying (yet another) developer, I think maybe it's good news. I would hope they realize they need to have some new exclusives to attract gamers back to XBOX and will invest the time & money to make it right.