Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 31, 2018, 05:00 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
I believe it may be running on the same engine as Fallout 4.
That is what I was thinking. Certainly has the same looks to it, or a modded up version of the Fallout 4 engine. I always found things in that engine to be oddly unreal looking, like plastic or wrong textures somehow.

BattleRoyal... funny ;)
i7 4790K @ 4.5GHz (Swiftech H240-X) | ASUS Z97-Pro WiFi | 32GB Patriot Viper 1600MHz | ASUS ROG GTX 1080 Ti Strix | EX920 512GB, MX100 512GB, MX300 2TB, HDD 500GB (x2) | EVGA Supernova 850W G2 | Corsair 650D | Mayflower Electronics O2+ODAC, USB sound for mic, Sennheiser PC360 SE | Acer Predator X34, BenQ 21.5" | Windows 10 Pro
Old May 31, 2018, 01:12 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lysrin View Post

Maybe it's just me, and I don't mean to be a wet blanket too much, but I was kind of expecting it to look better than that graphically. Maybe I'm just getting spoiled these days but that looked off to me somehow.
This your first Bethesda game Lysrin?
Next you'll want better animation and working physics......

I haven't watched it yet, probably later tonight at home, but I was really hoping Obsidian would do another Fallout game :S

Or that Bethesda would finally come up with a new engine....
Old June 11, 2018, 05:32 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I can always hope though right FreeKnight? ;)

Fallout 76 confirmed to be online-only... hmmm

https://www.theverge.com/2018/6/10/1...thesda-e3-2018
i7 4790K @ 4.5GHz (Swiftech H240-X) | ASUS Z97-Pro WiFi | 32GB Patriot Viper 1600MHz | ASUS ROG GTX 1080 Ti Strix | EX920 512GB, MX100 512GB, MX300 2TB, HDD 500GB (x2) | EVGA Supernova 850W G2 | Corsair 650D | Mayflower Electronics O2+ODAC, USB sound for mic, Sennheiser PC360 SE | Acer Predator X34, BenQ 21.5" | Windows 10 Pro
Old June 11, 2018, 06:33 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
I can always hope though right FreeKnight? ;)

Fallout 76 confirmed to be online-only... hmmm

https://www.theverge.com/2018/6/10/1...thesda-e3-2018
I wanted a new Fallout by Obsidian, but didn't expect it. Then I saw the online only rumors and ..... blech.

I don't have any interest in an online survival light Fallout skinned game. No thank you.
Old June 11, 2018, 07:31 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Ok, so first I am not a fan of the online only bit. But I am curious about the game, mainly since he said you don't need to do do anything with friends and can still treat it as a single player game. But my biggest question about that is can other people affect my playthrough? I know they showed the nukes, so does that mean even if I am just playing by myself that I might get nuked just cause I happen to be on the same map as someone else? And speaking of the maps, how do they preserve continuity of the map? In a single player game I play I might build or blow up something and the map stays like that, but with this if even the single player is technically online, can someone build on my map? Or destroy part of it?

These are the questions I have that I did not see answered. If you can have a true single player experience without others getting in the way then great, I'll most likely get it, but if you can't and will always have others getting in the way of your game then I doubt I will get it.

Old June 11, 2018, 07:46 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Good questions ipaine. I was wondering that too. That kind of persistence in impact in these types of online games is a big nut to crack. You'd think they would have that solved (or they better) if release isn't that far off.

My Fallout history is a bit rusty; which one(s) did Obsidian make? Did Bethesda take over from them?
Old June 11, 2018, 09:29 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Good questions ipaine. I was wondering that too. That kind of persistence in impact in these types of online games is a big nut to crack. You'd think they would have that solved (or they better) if release isn't that far off.

My Fallout history is a bit rusty; which one(s) did Obsidian make? Did Bethesda take over from them?
Fallout began with Fallout 1 and Fallout 2 developed by Black Isle (famous for those games, Planescape Torment, the Infinity Engine) and were published Interplay. Interplay also made a couple of ho-hum spin offs that mostly fell flat. They had begun working on Fallout 3, code named 'Van Buren' when the studio was shuttered. Brian Fargo, Chris Avellone and Feargus Urquhart were the three big names of Fallout 1 and 2. Fargo went on to start inXile Entertainment who made Wasteland 2 and Torment: Tides of Numara.
Urquhart went on to start Obsidian (KOTOR II, Pillars of Eternity, Alpha Protocol).
Avellone has written for both of the above companies in most of the games I mentioned.

After Black Isle and Interplay went the way of the dodo. Bethesda eventually bought the rights to Fallout. They developed and published Fallout 3. Shortly after they contracted Obsidian to produce Fallout: New Vegas which incorporated a lot of the ideas of Van Buren and touched on a lot of plot threads and characters from Fallout 1 and 2.

FNV was a much better game than FO3 IMO, and Bethesda's always had pretty so-so writers in house. I loved Skyrim, but the plot and characters were always a weaker link in their games. Fallout 4 seemed especially bad for that to me. So I've been hoping Obisidian could get another kick at the can.

Don't get me wrong I still really liked Fallout 3 and appreciate it brining back a dead franchise. And I love Skyrim for it's expanse and setting. I just wish Bethesda would hire some writers. There's no reason they can't take a page from CD Project Red or Bioware circa Mass Effect 1-3 and have some buddy comraderie with some great NPCs. Even Pillar's characters were much more fleshed out than just about every companion in Skyrim, F3 or F4
Old June 11, 2018, 10:36 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Much appreciated FreeKnight! Interesting history.

I don't think I have ever finished any of the Fallout games, although I own several, not 1 and 2 though. I always like them when I start playing, and then find the setting gets somehow repetitive and I fade away, distracted by other games. I am big on story in a single player game so maybe exactly what you're describing is my very issue.
Old June 11, 2018, 01:37 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Much appreciated FreeKnight! Interesting history.

I don't think I have ever finished any of the Fallout games, although I own several, not 1 and 2 though. I always like them when I start playing, and then find the setting gets somehow repetitive and I fade away, distracted by other games. I am big on story in a single player game so maybe exactly what you're describing is my very issue.
Fallout 1 and 2 really show their age. They were amazing for what they were at the time, but without any nostalgia factor or history it's tough to give them an honest playthrough. The isometric view is pretty small, characters run slowly (especially in the vertical since they have to zig-zag), but it's still got some worth. Crictical hitting enemies in the eyes or the groin is always hilarious the first time you read their combat yells.

I'd recommend making a character and using a Fallout editor or cheat engine to max your character out and just burn through the game for the story and to be able to see all the various ways you can resolve situations, trick enemies, etc. One of the perks color codes dialogue options to spell it out for you.

Sure it's not an 'honest' playthrough of the game, but it shrinks it down to a more manegable 8-12 hour nearly complete playthrough. Fallout 2 is especially clever for resolving some plot lines and options. The NPCs aren't quite as fleshed out as say Garrus from ME2/3, but they've got a few decent conversation lines.
Old June 12, 2018, 08:32 AM
F@H

Gets me wondering how the hell VATS may or may not work at all in this game.