Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 20, 2018, 07:30 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Default Flight sim with a decent tutorial?

Title is pretty self explanatory... wondering if there's a sim out there that'll walk me through the basics so that I can work my way up to getting some use out of this HOTAS.

I see the base version of "Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition" is on sale this weekend for $7 and some suggestions that it might have a walk through tutorial... can anybody confirm that? (Don't think I need $1000 worth of plugins if the base version will cover it..... ).

Save 75% on Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition on Steam

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 1X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / Uncased 256GB Sandisk Z400S SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 24" Westinghouse L2410NM
Old January 20, 2018, 07:42 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Yup. Plenty of 'missions'.

https://www.microsoft.com/products/g.../missions.aspx

Did a lot of flightsim a while back, still have on hand my Saitek Pro Flight kit: yoke, throttle quadrant, pedals a couple of panels (radio stack, PFC, switch panel).

Flight Simulator and Licensed Cessna Pro Flight Sim Products | Saitek.com

Last edited by 3.0charlie; January 20, 2018 at 07:48 PM.
Old January 20, 2018, 09:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

DCS World has in-game vocally and visually guided startup, takeoff, and landing tutorials in the form of missions if I recall... at least the P-51D does, never spent much time with anything other than P-51 and blackshark though. There are also some videos on the Eagle Dynamics youtube page.
https://www.youtube.com/user/eagledynamicstv/videos

With all the modules these days it is not cheap. There are occasional sales at least.
https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/

DCS World and the couple planes it includes is free, it is just the modules that are not cheap and seem to be getting more and more expensive as more come out. :( You just have to use older modules, early access, or wait for sales to build your collection.
Old January 20, 2018, 09:54 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I did a lot of Flight Simming and I thought that FS 2004 and FSX were very well done. The add ons that you can find for free, and purchase, just make it better too. I am intrigued by the new Dovetail Flight Sim World though. Steam reviews are mixed though, and it isn't a mature platform like FSX. Tons of free stuff at places like Avsim - https://www.avsim.com/ You'll even find a few files I uploaded, Canadian SRTM mesh files for Alberta and Sask and a file with Winnipeg upgrades to include the Assinaboine River and the Zoo.
Wife's Rig - MSI GL72M 7RDX
Old January 21, 2018, 06:37 AM
Rookie

I haven't really played many flight sims, but the inbuilt one in Google Earth is a fairly good one. It's a fun little way to pass the time. You can chose between 2 aircraft, and also select your starting location (one of the world's airports, or any coordinates). You might not find it interesting. Think of it as a glider sim rather than a retail SIM (like the one you mentioned)
Old January 21, 2018, 07:10 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kugelblitz View Post
I haven't really played many flight sims, but the inbuilt one in Google Earth is a fairly good one. It's a fun little way to pass the time. You can chose between 2 aircraft, and also select your starting location (one of the world's airports, or any coordinates). You might not find it interesting. Think of it as a glider sim rather than a retail SIM (like the one you mentioned)
I've got an older WWII flight sim that'll get me flying, but what I'm really looking for is something that'll take my hand and walk me through the different aspects (such as takeoff/landing, navigation, engine gauges, trim, etc.... ). Kinda like what you'd get with a FPS at the beginning where they take you through a mini-mission while explaining the controls to you.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 1X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / Uncased 256GB Sandisk Z400S SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 24" Westinghouse L2410NM
Old January 21, 2018, 08:48 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I remember that Fly!2k came with a decently sized printed manual.
Falcon 4 had a full binder.
Eagle Dynamics have these: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/178850/

The free aircraft in DCS World are the TF-51D(prop) and Su-25T(jet). If you click the training option on the main menu you can get mostly what you are looking for. Paid modules such as Fw 190 D-9, Ka-50, etc also have guided tutorials with voiceover and on-screen prompts.
Full disclosure though: I have never actually used the free planes and it has been a couple years since I flew any DCS modules.

Downside with DCS World is that you do not have as large of a populated area on the various maps as FSX/X-Plane, and I think I remember people complaining about ATC being silly for some reason.

I am going to stop pushing DCS World now. Will switch to just picking up a flight manual and screwing around in any sim instead!
Old January 21, 2018, 09:46 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacJunky View Post
I remember that Fly!2k came with a decently sized printed manual.
Falcon 4 had a full binder.
Eagle Dynamics have these: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/178850/

The free aircraft in DCS World are the TF-51D(prop) and Su-25T(jet). If you click the training option on the main menu you can get mostly what you are looking for. Paid modules such as Fw 190 D-9, Ka-50, etc also have guided tutorials with voiceover and on-screen prompts.
Full disclosure though: I have never actually used the free planes and it has been a couple years since I flew any DCS modules.

Downside with DCS World is that you do not have as large of a populated area on the various maps as FSX/X-Plane, and I think I remember people complaining about ATC being silly for some reason.

I am going to stop pushing DCS World now. Will switch to just picking up a flight manual and screwing around in any sim instead!
Thanks, I'll definitely give that a try (can't argue with free.... :) ).

If you had to pick a paid module with a good guided tutorial which one would it be? (flightstick vs control wheel would be best as well).

Thanks in advance.

Old January 21, 2018, 10:11 AM
Rookie

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
I've got an older WWII flight sim that'll get me flying, but what I'm really looking for is something that'll take my hand and walk me through the different aspects (such as takeoff/landing, navigation, engine gauges, trim, etc.... ). Kinda like what you'd get with a FPS at the beginning where they take you through a mini-mission while explaining the controls to you.
I see.
As I said, I don't have much of an experience with that (I've only ever played shooters lol). Just shared my two cents here about a sim I found interesting. As for the tutorial part, I'm sure there would be some gameplay videos of people explaining it through.

[EDIT] here is a video I found for FSX : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23I2J_Ue-oo

Last edited by Kugelblitz; January 21, 2018 at 10:29 AM.
Old January 22, 2018, 03:42 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
If you had to pick a paid module with a good guided tutorial which one would it be? (flightstick vs control wheel would be best as well).
I could not, I did not go through most of them, or if I did then I do not remember. Out of A-10C, FW-190D9, KA-50, P-51D, UH-1H I only ever spent any time in KA-50 and P-51D. I was also never very good. :P I wish I would have bought a proper set of rudder pedals because then I would have spent time with UH-1H as the rudder on my saitek X52 is not ideal for it.

There are quite a few more modules out these days.

The uploader's graphics settings hurt my face but this is the sort of thing I am talking about. I do not remember if any planes or helicopters have navigation tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fn1xbahH_x0

What it ultimately boils down to is that this is more complicated than most FPS games and you will need to check out youtube videos and flight manuals anyway. Not all planes start the same way or have the same characteristics.

Find something you think looks sexy, read the flight manual, then repeatedly crash and burn until you learn how to fly it.

A question we should have asked in the first place is: What type of flying are you looking to do?

I am a little concerned that I might have thrown you off the deep end WRT switches and buttons but I can only presume FSX is the same way?