Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 6, 2015, 09:57 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregH View Post
Can't remember the name of the port where I buy the slaves and sell the gold to, but it's 16.8 LY away, starts with "T" and has a ' in the name somewhere. Also in Delaine space.
Yeah, the names of some of the systems are mindboggling. Buddy who is playing with me sent me a pic of a system he was in: WISE JO521+ 1025 SYSTEM... rolls off the tongue
Old July 6, 2015, 06:55 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Tewi'xilak
Old July 7, 2015, 04:44 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregH View Post
Tewi'xilak
Gesundheit!!

Thanks, I'll look it up.
Old July 9, 2015, 11:56 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

33% sale on Steam, bit cheaper than the summer sale. Will likely grab it at this point.

Old July 9, 2015, 01:39 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

So is there much plot to this game or is it pretty much just straight space sim. Fly around explore/collect/raid? Or is it more like most MMOs with a light plot just to give you an excuse to tack on fetch quests etc.

I liked some of the old PC space flight simulators and games back in the day, but I'm not sure I'd be motivated to get into a big time sink just for points/levelling.
Old July 9, 2015, 03:37 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Will be spending some time on Youtube tonight, checking out gameplay. This has been on my radar for a while.
Old July 10, 2015, 04:05 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I saw the sale on steam too last night. Kinda curious about the game. Haven't had much time to look into it. I do enjoy space sims so I'm sure I'll be enjoying this to some degree but I'm wondering if this is the kind of MMO where you can get constantly ganked by other players in space?
Old July 10, 2015, 04:59 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeKnight View Post
So is there much plot to this game or is it pretty much just straight space sim. Fly around explore/collect/raid? Or is it more like most MMOs with a light plot just to give you an excuse to tack on fetch quests etc.

I liked some of the old PC space flight simulators and games back in the day, but I'm not sure I'd be motivated to get into a big time sink just for points/levelling.
The last update, Powerplay, added some plot but it is on a grand scale with major powers controlling huge sections of human occupied space and expanding or losing systems in a large struggle. Progress of that aspect is visible in the Powerplay interface and story and lore is delivered through in game news service called GalNet. Players can pledge allegience to a power, if you want, and then can impact the power's influence, territory etc through a number of ways, not just combat. Lots of depth to this system, too much to write up here. But that all happens on a very grand scale as I said. You can be piloting your ship around doing whatever it is you want to do and not even pay much attention to it. I am still playing this way right now. The galatic struggle will be happening around you but you are going about your daily business. You are impacted by it because it could affect available contracts (aka missions), the value of traded goods, the types and values of bounties, combat missions, etc., but you don't have to enter in to the actual Powerplay content. The devs have actually said they don't expect new players to jump into Powerplay right away. The game has a relatively steep learning curve and that is enough to handle in the beginning.

I would say if you are looking for a space sim where you have rigidly defined goals and missions that lead you from one thing to the next, Elite: Dangerous isn't the right fit. I hate to use the overused term these days, but it really is a "sandbox" game where you choose the role you want to play and what you want to do. If your are really working hard to aid your Power in Powerplay then your play could be much more directed. If not then the galaxy is your open to you.

There can be a grind if you let yourself get sucked in to it. For example if you really want the biggest ship as soon as humanly possible then you are going to have to grind for credits (money) in the most efficient ways possible and that does burn people out. Finding the most lucritive trade runs for example can be very financially beneficial but takes a lot of fairly tedious effort and then running it over and over can get dull. However almost all the roles in the game can be played with varying levels of success with all the ships so you don't need to hop on that grind train!

That's enough of a text wall I love the game. Been playing just since it went on Steam but it has been exactly what I was looking for. And for 33% off I personally feel it's excellent value for the money if the style appeals to you. I bought it for $70 and feel it was worth the money!!

I guess the sum up would be some players have complained, at least prior to Powerplay that the isn't enough to do. I would argue that the is a bucket load of stuff to do but this game won't openly tell you what it is. You have to explore it yourself.
Old July 10, 2015, 05:24 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groove View Post
...the kind of MMO where you can get constantly ganked by other players in space?
In my experience so far no. I have been played for a little over a month or so and I haven't been killed by another player yet. Attacked a couple of times but lived to tell the tale However I think it very much depends on the region of human occupied space you are playing in. For example where major conflicts are happening or lucritive trading or trade missions are occurring then the likelihood of having run ins with hostile players obviously increases. The region of space I am in right now doesn't have a lot of other players and it isn't that far from the area I started the game in. So on the plus side there doesn't seem to be people lurking around the start areas (if those are identifiable?) waiting to kill noobs. The act of killing other players does carry some stiff consequences depending on the type of space it happens in so that I think helps to manage the PvP to a degree.

One interesting thing I have seen in player pirate behaviour. I have seen pirates who weren't interested in killing the player because they didn't want the negative consequences. So they would knock the player out of supercruise and then demand they abandon some portion of their cargo to live. Abandon is key because that means the player releases ownership of the cargo and the pirate can take it without them being flagged as having stolen cargo. The pirate would then take the cargo and allow the other player to continue. If the player didn't abandon cargo... well, you know... Anyway, neat player to player dynamic I thought. And it's a meta-system, not a specific defined in-game way to pirate but developed by the players.

People who have played longer can likely add more based on their PvP experience, but that is my experience so far.
Old July 10, 2015, 05:59 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Unless they've changed it in the last little while there is an option for Solo play so that concerns over things like griefers don't come into play.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 1X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / Uncased 256GB Sandisk Z400S SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 24" Westinghouse L2410NM