Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 8, 2019, 07:03 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly007 View Post
Thanks for the detailed post.

Code came on a piece of paper*... I am listening, but after watching, Star Citizen Alpha 3.4.3 LIVE State of the Game, I am leaning towards buying the game (as the game's ambition/scope kinda reminds me of Star Wars Galaxies & looks incredible). But I have a couple questions:

Any what sort of fps one could expect with a 6700k and a 1080 Ti? Joystick needed? I've got a Logitech Cordless Freedom around here somewhere.

Is there a HWC player organisation yet?

Does Beta equal persistent world?
Well, I certainly wouldn't say don't buy it if you like what you see! It has gobbled up a decent amount of my money -- buying ships can get addictive! Just as long as you realize what you are getting into and that buying now really is supporting development rather than buying a full play experience at this point.

Any what sort of fps one could expect with a 6700k and a 1080 Ti?

Monitor in your "My System Specs"? If so, and 1440p, you'd be looking at I would think and average of 45-55 fps in most areas of the game, maybe occasional dips to a bit lower in larger landing locations, bit higher out in space. But it really does run quite well now. Gone are the days when we were plugging along at 15 fps!

16GB of RAM is the minimum at the current state of optimization. I actually upgraded to 32 just for SC because it is RAM hungry. But lots of folks are playing with 16GB at this point. You may expect an occasional crash.

Joystick needed?

No not needed. Nicer IMO, more immersive, but not needed. You can play with anything from mouse and keyboard, gamepad, joystick, to full HOTAS/HOSAS.

There are actually some mechanics in the game to help balance control type. Specifically gimbaled weapons, ones that can be aimed independent of the ship's direction, or at least in some wider arc, are really only usable and benefit mouse and keyboard players allowing them to stay on target easier; think tracking a target with mouse like in an FPS game. However joystick players tends to remove those weapons, and the gimbal mount, to allow them to mount fixed, but one size larger weapons. So the mouse players might be able to track the target better and land more hits, but a joystick player who may struggle to stay on target as long might land fewer but more damaging hits. Not a definitive advantage for either but an appreciated design consideration.

I have seen excellent mouse and keyboard pilots and excellent joystick/HOTAS pilots. I've been killed by both ;)

Is there a HWC player organisation yet?

Not that I am aware of...?

Does Beta equal persistent world?

That isn't entirely clear. They have said that Squadron 42, the single player portion of the game should be in beta by Q2 2020. The tech made for Squadron 42 and the persistent universe feed into each other so people tend to think that a beta for persistent universe will be also in 2020. Beta won't meant that the entire planned persistent universe galaxy with all systems and planets will be in, but a beta version of the main gameplay systems. But beta for persistent world/universe, the Star Citizen part of the game, is only rumoured and not official at this point, as far as I have seen.

If you mean persistent in the general sense, that is game progress not being wiped for patches, I would say no. It will be better, and more things will be persistently kept between log out and log in, but I don't expect they will keep progress until the game is considered launched.
i7 8700K @ 4.8GHz (Swiftech H220) | ASUS Maximus X Code | 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4-3200 | ASUS ROG GTX 1080 Ti Strix OC ver. | EX920 512GB, MX100 512GB, MX300 2TB | EVGA Supernova 850W G2 | Meshify C | Mayflower Electronics O2+ODAC, USB sound for mic, Sennheiser PC360 SE | Acer Predator X34, BenQ 21.5" | Windows 10 Pro
Old February 9, 2019, 03:21 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Given I'll have a Sabre Raven, would an Aurora MR be a better choice than the Mustang Alpha? As far as I can tell (so much outdated info) the main advantage of the Aurora is it's bed.

Also Lysrin do you have a referral code?
Old February 9, 2019, 04:24 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I keep eyeballing this or elite as I'd really like a great HOSAS pilot experience that doesn't just feel like 'planes in space'. I loved dogfighting games, and even X-Wing/Tie back in the day, but they feel too much like air flight and not space flight.
Old February 9, 2019, 05:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Try maybe watching some game play on Youtube or Twitch Its vary large world even in alfa .
Old February 11, 2019, 09:20 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly007 View Post
Given I'll have a Sabre Raven, would an Aurora MR be a better choice than the Mustang Alpha? As far as I can tell (so much outdated info) the main advantage of the Aurora is it's bed.

Also Lysrin do you have a referral code?
I do have one: STAR-VDX5-CZH9

No one has ever used it but certainly great if you want to!

In terms of Aurora MR vs Mustang Alpha, it is hard to say what is "better" given the state if the game. Someone with more of an opinion/experience with those two ships can certainly correct me here. If you want a good all around ship for the current main gameplay the Avenger is a good option, slightly more money of course but available in game package.

The Mustangs have been reworked completely, and I like them better than the Auroras, but that is a personal preference. The bed is a nice option if you plan to travel or explore far in the Verse. And you can log out in the bed and come back in where you left off rather than being popped back to the closest location with Habs (like little apartments). Bear in mind though that doesn't work well currently, rarely for me, and the long term persistence plan may not even require the bed for logout. I don't know what their long term plan is there. They have said that beds, food, etc. will be required to sustain your character on long journeys but logging out requirements for persistence may change.

Almost any of the smaller ships at this point are a guess as to what you think you might like to do long term but how they balance that, change over time, etc. is still up in the air.

For the game in it's current state, you don't need a bed. For the main gameplay stuff, cargo missions or buying and selling cargo independently needs cargo space in the ship (SCU they call it). Combat can be covered by your Raven or the MR or the Mustang. Raven will be better than either though. Ship AI NPCs you can currently wack with a frying pan so ship doesn't matter a whole lot unfortunately for those missions... Mining you can't do without a mining ship - currently the Prospector is the only one. Doing PvP combat is definitely going to benefit from a more powerful ship but the Raven and the Mustang are both decent.

That is a wishy-washy answer, but there is just so much not clear yet. Personally I buy ships that I like the look of and that I think will work for what I think the type of gameplay is that I want to do down the road.

Any ships you buy outside a game package you can always melt for credit to buy something else so you aren't stuck. Or you can do what is called a Cross Chassis Upgrade (CCU), even with the game package ship, to take the value of one ship and put that towards a new ship. Not sure if you can do that with your Raven, given it came from the 900p code.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeKnight View Post
I keep eyeballing this or elite as I'd really like a great HOSAS pilot experience that doesn't just feel like 'planes in space'. I loved dogfighting games, and even X-Wing/Tie back in the day, but they feel too much like air flight and not space flight.
There is a brand new flight model coming in SC in the next major update. So remains to be seen the complete impact that will have on the way ships fly. To be honest ships don't feel as good now as they used to (long story...) so they are attempting to fix it. Current statements have the human engineered ships having less of the 6 DOF flight model than the alien ships or human ships that incorporate alien tech. How that will play out for gameplay balance will be interesting to see. SC also has in-atmosphere flight and space flight, which do behave differently. Elite currently has no atmospheric flight as you can't visit any planets with atmosphere yet.

Both SC and Elite allow you to turn off the computerized flight assist that make it feel like flying a plane; i.e. off you have 6 DOF independently - e.g. going forward due to thrust but then actually facing another direction. You can do it, some people in Elite especially are brilliant at it, but you better know what you're doing or it gets very expensive (in game)

Not sure if SC is keeping the option to turn that off with the new flight model or not. I would guess it would still be there, but that is only a guess. They may not allow it for the human ships with the new flight model, not sure.
i7 8700K @ 4.8GHz (Swiftech H220) | ASUS Maximus X Code | 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4-3200 | ASUS ROG GTX 1080 Ti Strix OC ver. | EX920 512GB, MX100 512GB, MX300 2TB | EVGA Supernova 850W G2 | Meshify C | Mayflower Electronics O2+ODAC, USB sound for mic, Sennheiser PC360 SE | Acer Predator X34, BenQ 21.5" | Windows 10 Pro
Old February 11, 2019, 02:30 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Not to steer away from the conversation at hand here but I'd like to talk about the recently released schedule for 2019 and what it means for the future of this game.

I'm unable to link the development page at the moment but basically it's pretty much a done deal that Stanton won't be finished by the time we roll into 2020 and I'm not entirely sure how I feel about that.

It's no secret that everything being worked on right now is tied to Squadron 42 in some shape or form. Basically if it's not part of the single player experience , they're not working on it.

The premise of the game initially ( way before we had planetary landings and such) was to visit and explore star systems. The scope of the game has grown enormously over the years but I feel like we've gone a bit too far with the level of overall detail that the game pushes.

I am however happy to see that the Carrack has finally made it into the development cycle but also a little skeptic. It's a ship designed for exploration in mind first and foremost. What's the point of the ship if there's no exploration gameplay ? Looking at the roadmap , there's only one other planet planned for 2019, microtech. What about Crusader ? Can we expect Q3 and Q4 releases to slide into early Q1 2020 like it did in 2018 ?

Don't get me wrong , there's lots of cool stuff coming down the pipe this year but at the same time it just proves that the game will be in development for years to come.
Asus PG348Q + Dell U3415W
Asus Z270 Prime
16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3200 mhz
Samsung 850 Pro 500gb
Crucial MX500 1TB
Crucial MC300 500GB x2
Corsair RM750i
Corsair Obsidian 750D
Razer Deathadder Chroma 2018
Logitech G710 +
Asus Xonar Essence STX
Sennheisers PC360
Audioengine A2+ Speakers

Old February 11, 2019, 04:58 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Certainly take the conversation wherever Sir! Here are the roadmaps: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/r...1-Star-Citizen

Don't disagree with anything you've said. That is why I was hesitant to comment on Persistent Universe (PU) beta. It's possible that PU will come a decent amount of time after perhaps even release of SQ42. SQ42 will give people something to play to tie them over, get immersed in the world and lore, and as they have hinted at perhaps earn things for the PU by completing SQ42.

You are right also about the Carrack. I have a Carrack, ...and a Terrapin, ...and a Freelancer Dur all focused on exploration but we really have very little idea of what exploration looks like in game and how it will play out. You can see their plan for the galaxy in the Star Map and a lot of systems are already discovered. They have said they plan only to have some smaller number, 10, 20, something, completed at version 1.0 or launch, adding to that over time. But those are clearly all discovered.

What are are explorers going to find? I hope things like new jump points between systems that are worth money for discovering. I also hope that we can discover things within systems; some kind of mechanic that allows searching for and finding both stellar and other bodies (wreakage, etc.) that are not mapped and makes the in-between space in systems more interesting. Something to make it worthwhile not to just QT everywhere.

Finding completely new systems would be awesome but, unless they reduce the custom and increase the procedural generation, I don't know how they can do that the way you can do it in Elite for example.

It isn't only exploration that is a long way off. I also have the Mercury Star Runner and there won't be any gameplay for that for a long time either. Reality is, and we know it, ships are a money maker for them so they keep churning them out.

But yeah, I have given up my delusion that the PU is not years away from being the full vision. It's more relaxing when you accept it! It is the game I want them to make if they can pull it off, but yeah... it ain't comin' any time soon. I applaud them though for publishing the road map. Estimating software schedules is almost always a train wreck if it is anything significant and so far I think they have been doing pretty well.

Until then I'll play this when there is something new to see, Elite to scratch the itch albeit differently, SQ42 when it comes out, heck even Cyberpunk 2077 whenever that decides to come out of the darkness into the light!
Old February 11, 2019, 09:21 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lysrin View Post
No one has ever used it....
That's no longer true... thanks for the detailed info. Turns out the Intel coupon is a starter pack unto itself; albeit with only two months insurance. Downside is I can't play cargo missions nor pick up Squadron 42 at a discount. Then again, Star Citizen might never even be finished.

Tags
alpha , star citizen