Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 28, 2019, 03:46 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by nToxik View Post
How about this bad boy (with a $5K US price).

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews...itor,5999.html

That's an example of the big format 65" nvidia TVs I was talking about a few posts back. $5k USD is actually a lot lower than anticipated prices too...

They still aren't in stock, and no date from Amazon as to when, I'll be grabbing one as soon as they are in stock.
Old March 4, 2019, 11:21 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman109 View Post
Again, as I said I don't disagree with your original post.
Fair enough.

Quote:
The big format 65" aren't going to be the end, just the beginning of TVs having a true 4k capability vis a vis PC gaming.
Perhaps you agree with my op, but I still don't think we are on the same page regarding "true 4k" capability. 40"-80" sets already exist that provide the full feature set of 4k HDR @60hz, with very low input lag. That means 4:4:4 chroma, RGB panels, the lot. Some even have Freesync support.

So if you are patiently waiting to pay 7k for a fully 4k capable 65" set...why? What specific feature does the Nvidia LFD have that a current 65" 4k display does not, for less than a 3rd of the price? Personally I don't understand the craze surrounding Freesync/Gsync. With Triple Buffering enabled, standard Vsync offers minimal additional input lag at 60hz. Adaptive sync and fast sync are also available.
Old March 4, 2019, 11:37 AM
Top Prospect

That's an easy answer.

120hz, that's what, so far as the Big Format screens go. 60hz for gaming = crap in my experience, anything below 100/120hz I just won't use anymore. That's why I've spent over 5$k on 27" 144hz 4k already, and will do the same with the 65", which I won't use for serious gaming, but more as a HTPC monitor in my office and in our bedroom.

Again, I had the very first Gsync capable 4k gaming monitor out there, the Acer 28", it was out shortly after the very first TN ROG Swift 27" 144hz 1440p LCD came out. It was 60hz, as our the majority of 4k "gaming" LCD. The current 144hz 4k 27" are nearly triple the cost of the current 60hz you're talking about, and the primary difference is the hz rate. There is other things too, the nits are WAY higher, HDR, etc, but the hz and the FPS you can display because of the higher rate is the thing one notices most IMO. Always has been, in other threads I've said that the very first thing to look for in a gaming LCD is a 120+hz rate, everything else come after that, and it's been that way since the first 144hz 1080p Asus 24" I bought for me.
Old March 9, 2019, 10:14 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman109 View Post
That's an easy answer.

120hz, that's what, so far as the Big Format screens go. 60hz for gaming = crap in my experience, anything below 100/120hz I just won't use anymore. That's why I've spent over 5$k on 27" 144hz 4k already, and will do the same with the 65", which I won't use for serious gaming, but more as a HTPC monitor in my office and in our bedroom.

Again, I had the very first Gsync capable 4k gaming monitor out there, the Acer 28", it was out shortly after the very first TN ROG Swift 27" 144hz 1440p LCD came out. It was 60hz, as our the majority of 4k "gaming" LCD. The current 144hz 4k 27" are nearly triple the cost of the current 60hz you're talking about, and the primary difference is the hz rate. There is other things too, the nits are WAY higher, HDR, etc, but the hz and the FPS you can display because of the higher rate is the thing one notices most IMO. Always has been, in other threads I've said that the very first thing to look for in a gaming LCD is a 120+hz rate, everything else come after that, and it's been that way since the first 144hz 1080p Asus 24" I bought for me.
Ah, sounds like you're willing to pay just about anything for 4k and a high framerate. Otherwise a 120hz 1440p display would probably suffice at a fraction of the price.