Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 10, 2018, 07:43 AM
Rookie

Default 2k or 4k for edit and game?

Hello everyone.At this moment I finally got my pc after months of research and savings.

I have i7-8700,asus tuf pro gaming h370,16gb ram with no gpu and monitor yet.

My concern is this do i pick a 4k monitor or 2k?

I use it for photoshop cc,illustrator cc in future some light video editing.And i also game both console and pc.So i want best image for edit and game with the maximum card i can afford in the future gtx 1080.I have found one that suits my needs (lg 27uk600,650,850)but i was hoping if someone could tell me if a 2k is a good option too and more affordable than this one.Also tell me if im going to have problem with scaling because iam using photoshop,illustrator 2015 versions.Thanks a lot.
Old October 10, 2018, 12:57 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

If you take the editing serious at all, then I would say go 4K. You would want the ability to edit at native resolution. The 1080 is going to be able to drive 4k gaming, though you will have to turn down settings like AA in games that require a strong GPU.

If the editing is only a side bar type thing, then you could consider 1440 as it would improve your gaming FPS and let you run games maxed out.
Old October 14, 2018, 05:20 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond007 View Post
If you take the editing serious at all, then I would say go 4K. You would want the ability to edit at native resolution. The 1080 is going to be able to drive 4k gaming, though you will have to turn down settings like AA in games that require a strong GPU.

If the editing is only a side bar type thing, then you could consider 1440 as it would improve your gaming FPS and let you run games maxed out.

I have to agree. Even if you aren't super serious now, but will be in the future, just bite the bullet and go 4K now. A 1080 should be alright, but I think you'll have to turn down more than AA features to get a decent FPS.

I'm not a serious gamer and I've been gaming on 4K at 30fps until now and I had no complaints.
Old October 14, 2018, 07:22 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Those are rather outdated versions of Adobe Photoshop & Illustrator. Are you planning to subscribe to Creative Cloud in the near future too? I'm not sure how well the 2015 versions would handle 4K.

I think you'd be fine with a higher quality 27" @ 2560x1440 as colour accuracy is more important for graphic/image work.

If you're doing 4K video editing, then yes, a 4K monitor would make more sense.
Old October 16, 2018, 10:56 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by liakouri094 View Post
Hello everyone.At this moment I finally got my pc after months of research and savings.

I have i7-8700,asus tuf pro gaming h370,16gb ram with no gpu and monitor yet.

My concern is this do i pick a 4k monitor or 2k?

I use it for photoshop cc,illustrator cc in future some light video editing.And i also game both console and pc.So i want best image for edit and game with the maximum card i can afford in the future gtx 1080.I have found one that suits my needs (lg 27uk600,650,850)but i was hoping if someone could tell me if a 2k is a good option too and more affordable than this one.Also tell me if im going to have problem with scaling because iam using photoshop,illustrator 2015 versions.Thanks a lot.
Hmm, maybe someone else can chime in if there are flaws in my thinking, but have you considered buying a decent isf capable 4k tv and having it professionally calibrated? You're going to pay a big premium for anything over 1440 in the monitor market, my guess is this is because it's a more complex process to manufacture 4k screens in smaller sizes. 1440p is more reasonably priced, particularly as there are ips options, but it's still not quite the value you get with a 40" 4k panel. IPS or PLS panel technology is probably the ideal for your application, but you're still going to pay a premium for it. I think the main issue with using tv's was the lack of 4:4:4 chroma at 4k over hdmi, but it appears hdmi 2.0 has addressed this.

Might be worth a read: 4K 60 4:4:4 HDR - CEDIA Community

Last edited by mikjames; October 16, 2018 at 11:03 PM.
Old October 16, 2018, 11:08 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookOfElie View Post
I'm not a serious gamer and I've been gaming on 4K
at 30fps until now and I had no complaints.

Someone needs a crash course in temporal resolution...
Old October 19, 2018, 07:48 PM
Rookie

Thank you all for your replies I thinking betwen dell u2518d,philips 2k,viewsonic 2k
Old October 25, 2018, 12:10 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by liakouri094 View Post
Thank you all for your replies I thinking betwen dell u2518d,philips 2k,viewsonic 2k
Yeah the Dell Ultrasharp's have a good history of color accuracy if you've got the coin and don't need anything too big.

There are also some refurbished options to be found on Newegg: https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produc...0671-_-Product

Or Ebay might have some decent deals second hand. The Dell Ultrasharps have been popular for quite some time with photo/video industry professionals. You could probably find an older one for significantly less without sacrificing much of anything for color accuracy. Ips/Pls panels provide a good balance for gaming and photo/video work. A Tn panel would be best for gaming but terrible for photo/video work, and a VA panel wouldn't be ideal for either.

Last edited by mikjames; October 25, 2018 at 12:21 PM.
Old October 25, 2018, 01:02 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

if you game more than do content creation, get an IPS WQHD monitor with G-Sync for smooth game play.

if you do a lot of content creation, then consider going 2K or 4K, but ensure you go with as large a display as you can. a rule of thumb with 4K is a screen no less than 43", otherwise everything is so sharp/crisp and small, it's unreadable unless you start scaling, which is stupid as it undoes the whole reason of having such high resolution in the first place!

I'm not sure what there is for 4K monitors with G Sync, but for creation, Dell has a sweet UltraSharp 43" for around $1200. :)