Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 11, 2019, 09:55 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Gigabyte backup bios ???

Ok as we all know Gigabyte has had 2 bios chips on most boards for many years now.

You use to be able to use the main chip to flash your back up chip once you new the newer bios was nice and stable, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to flash the backup bios on new UEFI boards that don't have a switch on board to select which bios to use.

I have used google and the only answer I got was you can't flash the second chip. Just seem kinda strange that you can still do it on some board and not other.

So any info or help would be great thanks all
Old February 11, 2019, 01:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I guess they changed the design to a true failsafe so it is no longer possible , unless you remove the chip and program it separately assuming it is socketed!
Old February 12, 2019, 08:15 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Nope there solder on now lol ya I just want to update the second chip to the bios I am running. Seems kinda weird since if you update the bios for a zen+ chip if you bios faulty then your system won't boot up with the backup bios which kinda defeats the purpose doesn't it

edit not surprised no one knows anything about this I could barely find anything online
well I guess I will be going back to Asus boards for my zen 2 upgrades when that happens
Old February 12, 2019, 12:21 PM
Allstar

Did you see this thread? https://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php?topic=9462.0

Reply #3

Edit: This particular thread is about an Intel board, but most likely Gigabyte uses a common BIOS management system.

Last edited by Valkyrie; February 12, 2019 at 03:01 PM.
Old February 12, 2019, 05:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

that's how it use to work I have tried and not gotten anywhere with the old method of things. will try again tomorrow with a couple of different keyboards. That post is from 2012 thanks for the info anywho
Old February 12, 2019, 06:52 PM
Allstar

Oh...darn....I knew it was an older post, but didn't think they would change something basic like that...in that time frame... without letting folks know...somehow..

It seems pretty unreasonable for them to be like.." you can upgrade your CPU to a newer gen, but you have to keep your old one just in case...."

Haven't been big on Gigabyte boards....mostly Asus since the early '90's...and yes they've had some issues too....
Old February 13, 2019, 04:39 AM
Top Prospect

FYI, on most recent gigabyte mb (like mine), the backup bios will be flash automatically from main after x number of successfull boot with a new bios. You can only force boot from backup bios with some power button trick.