Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 13, 2018, 07:09 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default Intel i9-9980XE Performance Review Comment Thread

Intel's i9-9980XE is an expensive flagship processor but it isn't anything new either. This CPU is basically a higher clocked version of the i9-7980XE and Intel may have some challenges maintaining a competitive edge with it.

Read more here: https://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...ce-review.html
Old November 13, 2018, 07:37 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Another brutally priced new release this tech cycle and another reason for me to hold onto the current system. Admittedly this isn't really a 'gaming' CPU and is overkill for that, but I can't help but think intel's losing sales from the stream of refreshes that are making enthusiasts think 'meh, why bother'.

Hopefully the Zen 2 series keeps up the competitive pressure on intel at least.
Old November 13, 2018, 08:07 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

and power hungry!

why no overclocking?
Old November 13, 2018, 08:29 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Cool. So, no changes other than Intel is overclocking it for you. Laaaa-deeeee-daaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Friendly View Post
and power hungry!

why no overclocking?
Read the summary.
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old November 13, 2018, 08:52 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
Cool. So, no changes other than Intel is overclocking it for you. Laaaa-deeeee-daaaa
I always wondered how to spell that!

I think this statement is pretty telling for perspective, from the summary (bold added):

"Meanwhile, the 2950X is an extremely capable processor in its own right and it happens to cost a whopping $1,100 less than the i9-9980XE. For those keeping track at home, you can buy a 2950X, an X399 motherboard and a GTX 2080 for the price of a single 9980XE. X399 is arguably a more capable platform as well."

I mean given that, it has to be a bit hard for even the HEDT enthusiast crowd to shell out the money for Intel this time around, and still at 14nm.

Of course, thanks for the hard work on the reviews, again SKYMTL. It's a tonne of effort and must be challenging in this current refresh cycle. Except for the shear love of playing with new tech of course!
i7 4790K @ 4.5GHz (Swiftech H240-X) | ASUS Z97-Pro WiFi | 32GB Patriot Viper 1600MHz | ASUS ROG GTX 1080 Ti Strix | EX920 512GB, MX100 512GB, MX300 2TB, HDD 500GB (x2) | EVGA Supernova 850W G2 | Corsair 650D | Mayflower Electronics O2+ODAC, USB sound for mic, Sennheiser PC360 SE | Acer Predator X34, BenQ 21.5" | Windows 10 Pro
Old November 13, 2018, 08:59 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

heh, guess I missed that when I browsed the summary.

never-the-less, the CPU needs to be overclocked so people can see what the CPU and platform is capable of and how power hungry it gets.
Old November 13, 2018, 09:52 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Friendly View Post
heh, guess I missed that when I browsed the summary.

never-the-less, the CPU needs to be overclocked so people can see what the CPU and platform is capable of and how power hungry it gets.
Gamers Nexus' review talks bout overclocking. I only gave it a quick view, but it sounds like it just doesn't have the thermal headroom to accomplish much.

"The 9980XE is running out of thermal runway before it can actually stretch its legs."

YT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3PJ7prehVQ
Article : https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreview...ood-when-stock
Old November 13, 2018, 10:02 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

interesting that...because the TR2's can OC a bit.
Old November 15, 2018, 12:40 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

The real issue isn't the thermal room of the processor. GN is wrong about that. It is the motherboard VRMs which hit throttle temperature WAY quicker than the CPU.

I'm actually going to be popping this CPU into an ITX system in a few days. Gonna be really interesting with both air and liquid cooling. I can almost promise you that air cooling will result in more stable speeds due to airflow over the VRMs.