Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 1, 2014, 04:42 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Nice review. This CPU actually does exactly what I anticipated. It's a multithreaded monster, but has sacrificed some frequency to do that. That means the majority of games will see no benefit or a loss due to the amont of cores they are designed to run on. Where this will really shine is in productivity, or people that want to do rendering and gaming at the same time (heavy multitasking etc). I truely believe that without some breakthrough we are yet again approaching frequency limits on many of our CPU, so increasing parallelism is the way to go...we just need programming to catch up. The problem with that is the majority of people run 4 cores/threads or less.
Old September 5, 2014, 11:51 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgolas View Post
Disappointed. I looked a a lot of reviews. Sadly it seems most reviewers got the 5960x instead of the more interesting 5930k.

I wish hwc did a 5930k review and did over clocking on it.

Of the reviews on the 5930k that I read, it isn't worth the upgrade. So I may just upgrade to a 4790k.
Early indications are that 5930k doesn't overclock well either. It gives up any IPC gains to a lower clock than 4930k. Unless you really need the features of x99 like DDR4, lots of native SATA ports and M.2, I'm not sure it's a wise way to spend your money.
Old September 5, 2014, 01:27 PM
Allstar
F@H

I have been (for the most part) itching to upgrade my trusty 2600K. With the benchmarks however, since I only ever use the 2600K for menial tasks or gaming, I still can't see any viable reason to upgrade; aside from "build" that is. DDR4 looks interesting at least, though the current silicon price seems rather prohibitive. I'll give it a few more months probably, while waiting for high-end Maxwell GPU's as well.

PS: It's been so long since I last posted.

PSXeven. Batards of the World Unite!
The gap between happiness and utter misery is only but a few inches
Old September 6, 2014, 10:10 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Out of curiosity, how many people are actually planning to get this processor at some point? Or the 6 core version that is cheaper? The 5820k 6 core version might be worth it compared to the 4790K for some since it's not that much more than a 4790K.

I am planning to next year because I have some video encoding that I want done. I may also be as a hobby going into 3D modelling, so on top of gaming, this does seem worth it to me. I guess that makes me more prosumer than anything else.

But the issue is that for most people is that there's little reason to go upwards. I wonder what the comparison from Sandy Bridge to Haswell is? Perhaps 10%? Only on the new instruction sets do you get much performance gain.

For a lot of the other forums, it's not that they can justify it, it's that it is a hobby so they upgrade.

I get the feeling that judging by the number of delays that 14nm has is that it probably will not be anything to get excited about. It will need to make 4.6GHz at least to beat the 4790K.