Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #91 (permalink)  
Old September 12, 2013, 09:55 AM
The RealRollo's Avatar
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 213
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
That's missing the point though.... at $800 it wasn't a viable option for anybody but the most rabid AMD fan, but @ $400 it might be attractive to somebody who's already got the platform and can just drop it in place after a bios update.
So you think they should settle for less performance, put up with much higher heat in the case, and use 147W more, just to save themselves the trouble of swapping the motherboard? Which enthusiasts who would buy this and flash bioses presumably like doing anyway?

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...r-5ghz-17.html

Quote:
The FX-9590 is a hot running processor and we don’t mean hot in any conventional meaning of the word either. This thing is like having a miniature nuclear reactor strapped to your motherboard; it will thoroughly overwhelm mid-tier heatsinks and AIO water coolers alike.
The FX9590 is not a bargain at ANY price, for anybody.

A person buying a stock 4770K has $60 left over for a motherboard, and if he sells his AM3 board he has a good chunk of the rest of the cash he needs to buy a modern cpu. Even at stock with stock cooling the 4770K will outperform the 9590 at about everything.

All this writing about how sweet Haswells are- think I'm going to order a 4770K and motherboard.

Last edited by The RealRollo; September 12, 2013 at 08:52 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #92 (permalink)  
Old September 12, 2013, 09:58 AM
The RealRollo's Avatar
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 213
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soullessone21 View Post
Ditto, that actually was not a half bad deal the Crosshair board is awesome and the Corsair cooler is nice, 8 cores at 5ghz is good to use as a living room gamer or friggen any gamer it would do just fine:)
Question:
If the 8 cores at 5GHz are being outperformed by 4 cores at 3.3/3.4/3.5GHz, is "fine" where you want to be?

And this part is NOT meant for living rooms. Will dump a ton of heat/noise into the room.
Reply With Quote
  #93 (permalink)  
Old September 12, 2013, 06:07 PM
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 121
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The RealRollo View Post
Will dump a ton of heat/noise into the room.
Perhaps he lives in a remote Canadian village where it gets really cold.
And loud noises can help scare away wildlife.
Reply With Quote
  #94 (permalink)  
Old September 12, 2013, 08:47 PM
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Edmonton,Alberta
Posts: 109
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The RealRollo View Post
Question:
If the 8 cores at 5GHz are being outperformed by 4 cores at 3.3/3.4/3.5GHz, is "fine" where you want to be?

And this part is NOT meant for living rooms. Will dump a ton of heat/noise into the room.
FUD

As some one that owns a 9370 and runs its at 9590 speed, it does not dump tons of heat.

Buy better fans if they're that noisy,.

Games rarely use more than a few threads, my temps sit at 38 C.


On a side note

The Cinebench score seems off
Stock my 9370 get 7.87
At 5GHz it gets 8.42

Reply With Quote
  #95 (permalink)  
Old September 12, 2013, 09:10 PM
The RealRollo's Avatar
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 213
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Encruncher View Post
FUD

As some one that owns a 9370 and runs its at 9590 speed, it does not dump tons of heat.

Buy better fans if they're that noisy,.

Games rarely use more than a few threads, my temps sit at 38 C.

It's a 200W+ CPU Frank, it's not like the laws of physics are not in play for AMD parts.

AMD didn't sample these to review sites, I think we all know why. Same thing with movies that aren't sent to reviewers- they don't want the reviews published.

BTW- how do you know how hot it's running? Apparently AMDs tools don't accurately report temps:

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...r-5ghz-17.html

Quote:
With the potential for astronomical temperatures, one would hope for an adequate way to measure temperatures. That just didn’t happen. RealTemp and CoreTemp routinely showed overly low readings and even AMD’s vaunted Overdrive utility was completely out to lunch. It claimed the chip idled at 19°C (ambient temperature was 23°) while load temperatures supposedly hit 46.7°C under load even though our Noctua heatsink was hot to the touch.

Only ASUS’ AI Suite II (which takes its temperature readings directly from the BIOS) was somewhat accurate with its reading of 65°C under load but we had reasons to doubt this too since, as you see in the screenshot above, our FX-9590 began throttling some cores down to the 4.515GHz mark after 20 minutes or so of continual full-load testing. Another possibility is that AMD has set Turbo Core 3.0 to begin throttling downwards when core temperature hits that 65°C mark in an effort to cap thermals and power consumption.

The lack of accurate temperature logging software poses a large problem for anyone with one of these 220W TDP chips: they have no way of knowing how hot (or cool) their processor is running.

Last edited by The RealRollo; September 12, 2013 at 09:20 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #96 (permalink)  
Old September 12, 2013, 09:11 PM
Soullessone21's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Calgary AB
Posts: 1,290

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Encruncher View Post
FUD

As some one that owns a 9370 and runs its at 9590 speed, it does not dump tons of heat.

Buy better fans if they're that noisy,.

Games rarely use more than a few threads, my temps sit at 38 C.


On a side note

The Cinebench score seems off
Stock my 9370 get 7.87
At 5GHz it gets 8.42

Nice sytem

but word to the wise dont argue with the RealBIASRollo, hes kinda like arguing with a 5 year old whos parents are getting divorced where mommy is Nvidia and daddy ATI who shacked up with AMD to create another child who they pay all their attention to.

Though Mommy maybe right sometimes her biased rage makes her child mr Rollo think every word she speaks is god so he will follow her to the end of the earth and never listen to a word his daddy says or any word to recommend that daddy is a good guy, plus mommy gives him free things and daddy doesnt

In closing grow up Rollo we get it you hate AMD, put it in your sig so people with real knowledge and expertise dont accidentally take your Bias for fact or even worse some N00B reads your ramblings and thinks them to be fact

Admins feel free to remove my post if it crossed a line, as unlike Rollo I do not wish to troll but don't want someone to get fooled into taking bad advise cuz he speaks the loudest or posts the most.
__________________
Good Bye HWC it was great :)
Site and Forum:
http://forums.realhardwarereviews.com/index.php

If you need me the link above is where I spend my days now
Reply With Quote
  #97 (permalink)  
Old September 12, 2013, 09:28 PM
The RealRollo's Avatar
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 213
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soullessone21 View Post

but word to the wise dont argue with the RealBIASRollo, hes kinda like arguing with a 5 year old whos parents are getting divorced where mommy is Nvidia and daddy ATI who shacked up with AMD to create another child who they pay all their attention to.
Huh? We're talking about CPUs, what does NVIDIA have to do with anything?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soullessone21 View Post

Though Mommy maybe right sometimes her biased rage makes her child mr Rollo think every word she speaks is god so he will follow her to the end of the earth and never listen to a word his daddy says or any word to recommend that daddy is a good guy, plus mommy gives him free things and daddy doesn't
No one gives me anything. I have no associations with any gaming hardware or software company. Everything in all my boxes, I bought. Your post should be deleted because it's not accurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soullessone21 View Post

In closing grow up Rollo we get it you hate AMD, put it in your sig so people with real knowledge and expertise dont accidentally take your Bias for fact or even worse some N00B reads your ramblings and thinks them to be fact .
Mostly what I've been doing here is linking Hardware Canucks review. Are you saying they are bias or NOOB? What have I posted that isn't true? (crickets chirp)



Quote:
Originally Posted by Soullessone21 View Post

Admins feel free to remove my post if it crossed a line, as unlike Rollo I do not wish to troll but don't want someone to get fooled into taking bad advise cuz he speaks the loudest or posts the most.
I'd kind of like it if people took your advice and bought some of these POS FX9590s. I know which one of us they would end up respecting after using one.
Reply With Quote
  #98 (permalink)  
Old September 12, 2013, 10:38 PM
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Edmonton,Alberta
Posts: 109
Default

@ Rollo

I was using AI suite but since you don't believe any of that, I'll dig through my boxes and see if I can find the thermal couple that attaches the CPU.

@Soullessone21

I know who Rollo is.
I have seen him banned from a few sites over the last few years.
Eventually the admins grow tired of him and get the hammer out.
Reply With Quote
  #99 (permalink)  
Old September 13, 2013, 04:06 AM
The RealRollo's Avatar
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 213
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Encruncher View Post
@ Rollo

I was using AI suite but since you don't believe any of that, I'll dig through my boxes and see if I can find the thermal couple that attaches the CPU.

@Soullessone21

I know who Rollo is.
I have seen him banned from a few sites over the last few years.
Eventually the admins grow tired of him and get the hammer out.


What is "biased" about posting links to benchmarks that show AMD losing at gaming, or to reviews that point out the flaws?

If you have benchmarks that show AMD winning at gaming benchmarks, or proving the flaws don't exist, just link them and prove me wrong.

My agenda is only to post the truth about products. If shown I'm wrong with links to credible sources like Hardware Canucks I'll gladly retract.

The owner of this site knows I have no ties and to any relevant party in this discussion. Posting facts isn't usually considered a violation of TOS. I question the agenda of anyone who wants to hide or downplay the facts.

AMD intros FX-9590 processor with 5GHz peak Turbo speed - The Tech Report

Quote:
Also, notice that the total system power draw in our test workload was 262W with this overclocked config. That lends some credence to the rumors of a 220W TDP for these parts. Don't expect to remove that kind of heat from a CPU quietly without some fairly exotic water cooling.
AMD unveils world?s first 5GHz CPU | ExtremeTech

Quote:
, 5GHz will probably only be obtainable when there’s plenty of thermal overhead, and not for extended periods of time
AMD first to reach 5GHz with FX-9590 processor - TechSpot

Quote:
The reason for this likely has to do with cooling requirements as some end users won’t have the necessary cooling capability to keep the chip from overheating.

Last edited by The RealRollo; September 13, 2013 at 04:39 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #100 (permalink)  
Old September 13, 2013, 05:13 AM
SKYMTL's Avatar
HardwareCanuck Review Editor
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 13,634
Default

I'm 100% sure that the AISuite I used wasn't quite accurate....why? Because ASUS admitted there was an issue with it.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
AMD Unleashes 5GHz FX-9590 Processor SKYMTL CPU's and Motherboards 27 July 19, 2013 05:13 PM
BFG GTX 285 OCX Review Comment Thread SKYMTL Video Cards 8 January 21, 2009 02:55 PM
BFG GTX 260 Review Comment Thread SKYMTL Video Cards 33 November 15, 2008 11:26 PM
BFG GTX 280 OCX Review Comment Thread SKYMTL Video Cards 15 August 19, 2008 08:07 PM