Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 20, 2008, 09:58 PM
Rookie

Nope, LGA771 and 775 are different. I have been researching a dual socket system for about 2 months now. From everything I have read and every forum I have been on, it is impossible to put two Q6600's on one board. You have to go to Xeon chips and that means socket 771.

Good luck with the Lady,

Paul
Old January 20, 2008, 10:07 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks for the info Paul. Looks like I'm stuck until Skulltrail. With some FB-Dimms...
Old January 20, 2008, 10:12 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Basically the fact that two big boys have no competition except each other pushes multiple SOCKET computing off to workstations and servers. It's theoretically possible a third party can stitch together a chipset that can make 2 socket 775's or 2 socket AM2's work on one board, but the reality is that with licensing it's not worth it. In addition, the server style chips do have special functions that allow them to work better together in multiples. The serial nature of data transmission on FB DIMMS are one example.

Last edited by Ugly n Grey; January 20, 2008 at 10:14 PM. Reason: typos
Old January 20, 2008, 10:21 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
Thanks for the info Paul. Looks like I'm stuck until Skulltrail. With some FB-Dimms...
if you look what I wrote on the first page you are out of luck completely. There is and likely will never be a dual socket LGA775 board.
Complete
Forever Alone Complete
Old January 20, 2008, 10:21 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Two, three or four? Tyan, Supermicro and Intel; Asus has a market share too. Those are the manufacturers I have found.
Old January 20, 2008, 10:42 PM
MVP

My System Specs

An AM2 would be much easier to get onto a dual processor board due to the way HT works. Still, they probably don't want to cannibalize server and workstation sales.
S771 is electrically incompatible with S775, in addition to having different keys.
Old January 20, 2008, 10:53 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleF View Post
An AM2 would be much easier to get onto a dual processor board due to the way HT works. Still, they probably don't want to cannibalize server and workstation sales.
S771 is electrically incompatible with S775, in addition to having different keys.
The HT theory is great except for the fact there aren't enough links on the consumer grade CPU's. There's one and it would choke. Maybe not so much on the Phe's as it's faster but still....

The Opterons have 3 each don't they? even back in the 940 days

Anyhow, skulltrail isn't the last ported board (from server/workstation to enthusiast) we'll see. Companies are working actively on other boards based on multi socket designs for enthusiasts. They'll just be based on server chipsets and procs is all. More choice is a good deal usually.
Old February 1, 2008, 03:12 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Hey! mabey i can give YOU advice for a change :D It just so happens that i had the exact same thought as you are having right now, exactly one generation of pc hardware ago. I bought a Tyan S2885 Dual processor AMD socket 940 server board with a pair of Opteron 240s running at 1.4 Ghz (remember that this was like... 2004 i think, back when most multi processors still ran at a pretty low speed) I also had to buy registered ram wich was super expensive at the time, though im not sure how much the price has gone down on these today I'll give you a quick rundown of my experiences with the computer since i bought it.

pros:

multi threaded programs ran alot faster
Opterons run both 32 and 64 bit

cons:
ZERO overclocking ability
registered ram is expensive
server boards are HUGE (you want to save space?)
dual core socket 940 @ 2.4 Ghz = 268.38 usd. Socket F quad core @ 2.1 Ghz = 514.99 usd
you have to buy both processors at the same time (prices above just doubled!)

Conclusion...

When it came time to finally upgrade my opteron 240s to the dual core version the q6600 was out and i could overclock that to 3.0 on air pretty easily, the tyan tower was huge and took up way too much space, the best ram i could buy wasnt compatible... and as for AGP I was S.O.L.

so now i have the system in my sig wich would kick the crap out of my tyan system, even if i was to put dual cores in it. And everything in the new rig is upgradable for cheap.

At this point in technology i really dont think multi processors are a viable solution, the only real advantage to having a multi processor board right now is the amount of ram slots they have (my tyan board has 8) and i'd hate to think what it would cost to fill em lol

If only there was a way to put the cheep processors in the multi processor boards... but you cant, and the home computer is quickly catching up in power to the uber server boards of the past anyway, so theres really no advantage to running a multi processor board anymore. Unless of course your rich and can afford a quad core, quad processor server board that has 3x sli (does sli even exist in the multi processor world??) and 32 gigs of ram then you'd definatly have the advantage to even the most uber home single processor machine... but then... for what your paying for your single computer, you probably could have bought 8 uber single processor Quad core computers with just about as much ram, and since the only programs that could possibly utilize that much power (other than using it as an actuall server) is distributed computing applications, which, you'd actually loose the advantage to the single cpu machines because a 4 cpu quad core pc still cant work as fast as 8 quad core single cpu computers, especially considering that multi cpus run at a much lower frequency.

I guess my point is, unless you REALLY need the space, and you have mucho dinaro, your only going to loose by going to a multi cpu setup. My tyan board is 13" x 12" so your not going to save alot of space anyway. Mine actually takes up a HUGE spot in the storage room of my basement ;)

vista 64 on these rigs
Q9450 @ 3.5Ghz | E8400 @ 4.2Ghz
8gb Muskin Redline. | 2gb Kingston Hyperx
________________________________|_________________ ______________
EVGA 780i FTW ----\--||___||--/---- EVGA 780i SLI
Antec TP Quatro 1000W \ :==^==: / Antec TP Quatro 850W.
Nvidia 9800 GX2 X 2 SLI \|--o--|/ Nvidia 8800 GTS X 2 SLI
1X 500GB Western Digital. \_____/ 3X 150GB WD RAPTOR RAID-0
Old February 1, 2008, 06:06 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks for all that info, really appreciated. I basically crossed out a multi-CPU board in favor for the upcoming Q9450s... but maybe just one day I'll build one just for the fun of it.
Old February 1, 2008, 08:30 AM
Rookie

The Intel 5100 San Clemente boards from Supermicro support ECC/Reg DDR2 which is cheaper than FB-DIMMS

Supermicro, Inc. - Products | Motherboards | Xeon

But still costly.

Video Card: Connect 3D x1800GTO
Hard Disks: 2X 36 GB Raptor, 2 X 320 GB Seagate 'Cudas
Sound Card: SB Audigy 2ZS Platinum > Logitech z5500

Power Supply: Seasonic S12 500w
Monitor: LG LT204WT