What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

1st Gen Phenom's Gone Wild

Yoda8232

elec999

What exactly is this TLB do when it happens, or how does it affect us.
Thank you

geokilla

Unless you run a server or extremely cpu-intensive long-term calculations, you'll probably never notice it in your lifetime...
Does Folding@Home count?

I would so get this, but spending $100 just to get 2 extra cores is just not worth it compared to my Athlon X2 @ 2.6/2.7Ghz.

frontier204

The Phenom 9500 does have the TLB bug (fixed ones at 9X50), but after doing 3x F@H uniprocessor on it for a year I doubt F@H can trip it. (the bug is supposed to lock up your computer IIRC)
The TLB "fix" is more harmful than the TLB bug itself, dramatically hurting memory bandwidth and PPD. You can disable it in BIOS unless you have Vista SP1, in which you'll have to run the TLB disable tool to prevent Microsoft from applying the fix for you.

The Phenom 9950 doesn't have the TLB bug, but it draws a lot of power. Definitely use an 8+ phase motherboard for it, or you will limit your stable OC (or you'll watch your mobo smoke, if it's a low-end one).

Frank Encruncher

AnandTech: AMD's B3 Stepping Phenom Previewed, TLB Hardware Fix Tested
Explains TLB bug
You need two cores calling for same data at the same time

For desktops TLB bug doesn't affect you

Four of my crunchers are 9500's(with the patch disabled)
I get 100,000 plus Boinc credits a month just from these four machines
At stock the boxes are drawing 120 watts at full load from the wall

I've never had BSOD because of TLB bug

Games, Windows and driver updates will give more grief then the TLB bug ever will.

So while you guys live in fear of the TLB boogey man I will be racking up the credits.

Oversized Rooster

Well the first gen Phenoms aren't that impressive at all. But the Gen 1.5 Phenoms are alright (I mean the 9X50 versions).

I have several of those in my household. I've got 2 machines powered by a 9750 each, an HTPC with a 9150e and I'm building a second HTPC with a 9850BE (already bought for $90).

The 9X50 CPUs don't have this TLB flaw and I've been very happy with them. I do 24/7 folding on all of them for York University.