What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Gateway Core i7 FX6800-03H @ Futureshop - $1599

cadaveca

Banned
So, from another thread, this system seems to be a steal, and the info jsut changes to make it better:

hey dude, check this out. This might interest someone like you :D

Future Shop: Computers: Desktop Computers: Gateway Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz Desktop Computer (FX6800-03H) - Web Only

Core I7 920
two HD 4870s
9gb ddr3

for $1600 +tax

And you have FS and gateway backing it :D

oh yeah and a 1tb hd too :D

Naysayers might critic the 500w psu, but its gateway, and they should back you up should anything happen to it :D Or you can just use the 1200 you save a buy a nice new psu lol

I want to track this system and see how it turns out...I've persononally gone to futureshop, and the systems DO NOT HAVE 2 CARDS INSIDE.

Even with just 1 card, this system is decently priced...but the potential to argue with the store staff to get your second card was just made sweeter when they updated the product page to reflect that it could only have either 2x4870 1gb, or a 4870x2...

:haha:They updated the website, but in true Futureshop fashion they now indicate that the rig has and I quote "dual ATI HD4870 graphics cards with 2GB total dedicated video memory". Should be definitely worth the fight for either a second card or the upgrade to the HD 4870 X2 (2GB of Ram).

I think I'm gonna buy one...just gotta get the cash together...

FiXT

Hall of Fame
Not a bad deal for a complete i7 solution. I am surprised i7 was adopted so fast in the big box stores, usually they don't like high end gaming rigs as they cause to much after sales service.

Though, with gateway, we know they are going to be using the cheapest OEM mobo's and ram that barely passed QC.
Unfortunately 500W I am CONFIDENT is the BARE minimum for that setup, especially with Crossfire - I would almost call that ludicrous. The rails required by a dual GPU solution would max out that no name OEM PSU right away and you would be running well above the 80% mark under load.

"And you have FS and gateway backing it :D"
doesn't exactly instill confidence that what you are getting is going to be serviced :sad: - unfortunately all I can see is more hassle. If something goes wrong, it goes back to FS to sit on the bench for a month because they would have no idea where to start troubleshooting aside from running anti-virus software - and then when it gets sent back to gateway for 1 month while they figure out what is wrong with and another to get the part replaces

I don't mean to poo poo on it or come of as harsh sorry - just my opinion - but it would be better to look into something like this:
NCIX.com - Buy NCIX PC 9-SERIES Core i7 920 6GB RAM 500GB USB Sound LAN 4870 512MB 650W -ASSEMBLED - 9SERIES V-5500 In Canada.

If it only comes with one video card, as stated in the gaming rig post, then making the system completely on par, with an extra 3GB ($84.99) of memory and another 500GB+- ($88.98) hard drive, it actually winds up CHEAPER

But component/price that gateway is definitely not bad.

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
I don't mean to poo poo on it or come of as harsh sorry - just my opinion - but it would be better to look into something like this:
NCIX.com - Buy NCIX PC 9-SERIES Core i7 920 6GB RAM 500GB USB Sound LAN 4870 512MB 650W -ASSEMBLED - 9SERIES V-5500 In Canada.

But component/price that gateway is definitely not bad.

To a certain extent I agree with you but you are comparing something that you can buy and have serviced locally to a product that has to be shipped across the country (for most people) for an RMA. If I had the choice, I know which one I would pick...

As for the 500W statement, it looks like FS copied many of the specs from the FX6800-01e spec cheet over on Gateway.ca since the FX6800-03H is not even up on Gateway's site. So, I would think it would ship with a 650W+ PSU.

If I buy a Dell or even Gateway product, I know I can pick up the phone, call a 1-800 number and have my issues dealt with in a timely manner. And before you say that Dell or Gateway farms out their Canadian Tech Support, I'll be quick with the "bollocks" statement since they all have Canadian-based tech support if customers would look at their bills.

Personally, if I was thinking of buying a pre-built box I would stick with the large vendors liek the aforementioned Dell, Gateway or HP.

FiXT

Hall of Fame
To a certain extent I agree with you but you are comparing something that you can buy and have serviced locally to a product that has to be shipped across the country (for most people) for an RMA. If I had the choice, I know which one I would pick...

As for the 500W statement, it looks like FS copied many of the specs from the FX6800-01e spec cheet over on Gateway.ca since the FX6800-03H is not even up on Gateway's site. So, I would think it would ship with a 650W+ PSU.

If I buy a Dell or even Gateway product, I know I can pick up the phone, call a 1-800 number and have my issues dealt with in a timely manner. And before you say that Dell or Gateway farms out their Canadian Tech Support, I'll be quick with the "bollocks" statement since they all have Canadian-based tech support if customers would look at their bills.

Personally, if I was thinking of buying a pre-built box I would stick with the large vendors liek the aforementioned Dell, Gateway or HP.

You only get service through FS for the first 14 days isn't it (something tells me it is 90 on new PC's but I could be wrong?) Otherwise you are paying for an incredibly over priced PSP.
After that you have 1 Year with Gateway. In which case you are still stuck footing the bill.
With most smaller retailers like NCIX - typically within the first 30 days. If something goes wrong they are willing to cover shipping back, unless it was a gross error on your part.
Also - with FS your are GUARANTEED to have to wait forever to get a system back, and I trust their techs about as far as I can throw them. While you do have to ship to NCIX, their turn around time is generally quick so you will be waiting about the same time if not less.

And lets not forget - 2 Years down the road, you video card gives up. Gateway - Sorry OEM, might as well toss it. NCIX or another etailers. Send it back to the Manufacturer (hopefully not Sapphire) and have a new card back in less than a month. All your parts carry their individual warranties still.

I just cannot, honestly, see or suggest ANY benefit to purchasing big box for a desktop PC. The pro's of purchasing elsewhere outweigh the minuet cons and inconveniences

Notebooks on the other hand are another story, and are also the only product I would suggest purchasing a PSP for.

Jonwall

Ya i noticed that 500w psu as well. And bestbuy and fs seem to moving into a new direction with pc's. Im pretty sure i saw the antec 900 for sale on best buys site, seemed odd to me

cadaveca

Banned
Futureshop, locally, has definately changed...they carry musical instruments, including guitar amps and accessories(not just the cheap $99 jobbies...$999+ axes in stock)...and becuase I do believe they were once owned by Circuit City, or maybe still are, it seems they have "broadened thier horizons", because they have like NO competition in Canada...they just opened a huge store on the southside of town, that left me in awe...I almost didn't make it to the other sotre last night, i was so busy checking all the new stuff out...

I'd have to agree with FiXT on the warranty claims, and trying to get service @ FS, but I have dealt with Gateway directly before, and they were pretty good, as they have a couple of outlets you can take thier boxes to for service here in EDM. Dell, HP, and Gateway all have outlets here, which is the only reason I'd even consider them.

If you live in a place without a service-drop-off, then I'd go with NCIX, becuase each part carries it's own warranty.

Evilyeti

Although Gateway is owned by Acer the repair facility in Ontario is pretty fast at getting computers fixed.

We sent a customers Gateway laptop away to the Gateway repair facility which is Acers repair facility, in total Acer had the laptop for 7 days from the time we recieved the confirmation email saying they recieved it, and when we recieved the tracking # stating they shipped it back to us.

It was gone a total of 11 or 12 days.

I was pretty impressed.

M

member 3099

I'll never buy anything but my own custom built machine ever. Especially not something from FS!

Bucklaz

it would be pretty sweet if you could talk them into giving you an 4870 x2 lol. I wonder how they would do it though, I don't think they would take out the 4870 and just hand you a 4870x2

lemme know how it goes

Latest posts