Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > CES

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 4, 2019, 02:48 PM
Quadfather

Never buy Dell. Never.
I have grey hair and increased blood pressure from dealing with their idiocy. Their products are built cheaply, without thinking, always major oversights, and just pray you never have to deal with their pathetic excuse for customer service. It's laughable and terrible.
Old June 4, 2019, 07:44 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
Never buy Dell. Never.
I have grey hair and increased blood pressure from dealing with their idiocy. Their products are built cheaply, without thinking, always major oversights, and just pray you never have to deal with their pathetic excuse for customer service. It's laughable and terrible.
Unfortunately, I will disagree on that. But you are obviously coming off a bad experience with your 13.

My 17R4 has been flawless, its clean and simple to upgrade. My 51M is leaps above that.
They aren't perfect, but compared to some options out there have served me well.

The only time I've used Their tech support it was a good experience. Sorry to hear your's hasn't been.

Much like my MSI experience (where their techs wanted me to basically buy a Whole new computer because there was 'no way' it was the MSI MB causing a fault), its an exception and not a rule as many people here have had nothing but amazing experience with their products.

Luck of the draw, on all mass manufactured electronics.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old June 5, 2019, 01:19 AM
Quadfather

My issues with my 13 are only the latest in a string of disappointing experiences with Dell. Your issue may have been quickly resolved, but ask them anything in-depth or difficult that doesn't line up with their "scripts" (yes they still use them and it's painfully obvious) and they're next to useless. It took them months to admit that that problem with my 13 was real. They dicked around and wasted my entire onsite warranty. And the "brand new" replacement M15 they sent ? It has even worse temperature issues (3 of 6 cores hitting 99c on the easiest of the Prime95 stress tests). It's flagrant incompetence, from design to service. I've pretty much given up on dealing with them entirely at this point. Getting spare parts from eBay and I'm going to fix the heatsink as JD did, as well as make some simple design changes that their engineers were apparently too stupid to implement themselves.

*End rant*
I just don't see the point in this massive laptop. No one wants to carry 15+ lbs of laptop and power brick. If I *had* to, I'd much much much prefer an ssf PC, monitor/kB/mouse. And with a nice LianLi itx system and careful purchases, such a system would be just as light, more upgradeable and likely cost less.

Dell = hard pass. And I'm going to spend the rest of my life turning as many people away from them that I can. The only language they understand is money, so I really hope to be the splinter that makes them bleed money for years to come.
Old June 5, 2019, 05:33 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
My issues with my 13 are only the latest in a string of disappointing experiences with Dell. Your issue may have been quickly resolved, but ask them anything in-depth or difficult that doesn't line up with their "scripts" (yes they still use them and it's painfully obvious) and they're next to useless. It took them months to admit that that problem with my 13 was real. They dicked around and wasted my entire onsite warranty. And the "brand new" replacement M15 they sent ? It has even worse temperature issues (3 of 6 cores hitting 99c on the easiest of the Prime95 stress tests). It's flagrant incompetence, from design to service. I've pretty much given up on dealing with them entirely at this point. Getting spare parts from eBay and I'm going to fix the heatsink as JD did, as well as make some simple design changes that their engineers were apparently too stupid to implement themselves.

*End rant*
I just don't see the point in this massive laptop. No one wants to carry 15+ lbs of laptop and power brick. If I *had* to, I'd much much much prefer an ssf PC, monitor/kB/mouse. And with a nice LianLi itx system and careful purchases, such a system would be just as light, more upgradeable and likely cost less.

Dell = hard pass. And I'm going to spend the rest of my life turning as many people away from them that I can. The only language they understand is money, so I really hope to be the splinter that makes them bleed money for years to come.
Understood, and again I'm not going to even attempt to dissuade on how you feel.
(My issue, BTW, was far from simple but resolved in good order).

I actually came from the opposite direction. I had a Hadron Air (EVGA mini ITX System) built, with a nice KB/M and Monitor.
Lugging around my 51M is day and night easier than doing that.
Again to each their own.

Ironically I tried to do the same with MSI (bleed them). We don't matter to them CM, and we never will.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com