Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 2, 2019, 05:12 PM
Rookie

Default Mac Pro case for PC

Hi all,

I had a brain fart... Is it possible to build a PC within the original Mac Pro case?

What are the potential hurdles to overcome?

The Mac Pro chassis was/is a work of engineering meets art. Let's hear your views/advice.

Old February 2, 2019, 06:58 PM
Hall Of Fame

Which case specifically? The trash can or the G5 case? You can find a knock off trash can on Chinese ecomm sites like Aliexpress.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/p...native.254701/
Old February 2, 2019, 08:26 PM
F@H

My System Specs

It was a nice solid aluminum case for it's time, but compared to modern PC cases, it isn't too great when you're changing it to fit mATX. It's only "engineering meets art" in it's original Mac form with the custom motherboard/slot design.
Old February 2, 2019, 08:29 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by moocow View Post
Which case specifically? The trash can or the G5 case? You can find a knock off trash can on Chinese ecomm sites like Aliexpress.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/p...native.254701/
Not the trash can but the aluminium G5.
Old February 2, 2019, 08:32 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
It was a nice solid aluminum case for it's time, but compared to modern PC cases, it isn't too great when you're changing it to fit mATX. It's only "engineering meets art" in it's original Mac form with the custom motherboard/slot design.
I suppose ATX is a no go then :p

But a few tools and a little internal re-design could potentially lead to a stealth PC case.

I do agree though that it's best when it is in it's original Mac form - my curiosity is piqued though
Old February 2, 2019, 08:42 PM

My System Specs

I think they are nice looking cases. But the mod only really works well if you are willing to put in significant amounts of work and have access to the tools required. I've seen maybe 1 or 2 that actually pulled it off properly. Others looked like hack jobs. The one above looked ok until you see the fact that it has an IO shield that doesn't fit.
Complete
Forever Alone Complete
Old February 4, 2019, 09:27 PM
Rookie

Agreed.

I am being inspired by the fact that awesome engineering and quality meets art is going the way of the dodo...and would like reuse cases like the Mac Pro and the likes of Caselabs.