Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 18, 2018, 01:48 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default Small ATX case?

...That can take a 10.5" video card???? :)
I will also have in the computer, one SSD and maybe one NVME ssd.

16GB of RAM, no DVD/optical drive.
I wonder if I should consider ITX, too. I have a RX 580 though and I think they are 10.5"? Although, I have read/seen people's builds and one e.g. is a SG13 with a RX 580 in it.
I was interested in the riotoro cr1080 but it's out of stock everywhere it's sold. I was wondering if there's anything recent that is like this - the Riotoro case is a bit old so maybe that's why it's out of stock?

I don't think I can budget for those fancy Ncase 1s and other similar cases, though.

Any suggestions or advice?
Old December 18, 2018, 04:09 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I think you'd be better off with ITX, there's a lot more "small" ITX cases than there are ATX ones...

Maybe this? https://www.in-win.com/en/gaming-chassis/a1/, looks like it would fit any GPU.
Old December 19, 2018, 08:12 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
I think you'd be better off with ITX, there's a lot more "small" ITX cases than there are ATX ones...

Maybe this? https://www.in-win.com/en/gaming-chassis/a1/, looks like it would fit any GPU.
Looks interesting. What AIO would work with that?

Of the ATX cases, I was considering this one:
https://www.raijintek.com/en/product...p?ProductID=53

What do you think? You are right, though, there's way more ITX cases to choice from. But, the drawback is that there is a lot less motherboards to choose from compared to ATX. :-( Also, I thought it's hard to find a decent itx mobo with a correspondingly decent VRM. :-/
Old December 19, 2018, 08:27 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I think the Asus ITX mobos are the only real choice. Don't you think? For e.g., for X470, the ASUS ROG Strix X470-I and for Intel, probably the Asus Rog Strix Z390-I Gaming.
Old December 19, 2018, 08:41 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I toyed with the idea of ITX for a while, but in the end the compromise for a gaming rig with proper cooling was just too much. I went mATX instead and that gives you good case choices for small, medium, full size, whatever. I've got an Arc Midi R2, as I needed the triple rad support for my existing WC hardware. There's tons of smaller options that'll take at least a 120mm AIO like the Fractal Design Define Mini C, NZXT H400i, Phanteks Enthoo Evolv.
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old December 19, 2018, 09:07 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fubar View Post
Looks interesting. What AIO would work with that?

Of the ATX cases, I was considering this one:
https://www.raijintek.com/en/product...p?ProductID=53

What do you think? You are right, though, there's way more ITX cases to choice from. But, the drawback is that there is a lot less motherboards to choose from compared to ATX. :-( Also, I thought it's hard to find a decent itx mobo with a correspondingly decent VRM. :-/
It would be tight, but you should be able to fit one one on the rear fan, like this for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMXoRr3zyxw

How much overclocking are you planning on doing? ITX boards have come quite a ways and get better each year I'd say.

With that Raijintek, if you put a 240mm AIO up top, I think you'd be starving the GPU for air or blowing hot air into the GPU. Either way wouldn't be great. If you stuck to a single AIO on the rear fan and used the top fans as intake, it would be better.
Old December 19, 2018, 09:29 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I’d be watching video reviews from this site until you find what you are looking for. I’ve watched hours and hours of dimitry’s vlogs.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old December 19, 2018, 11:00 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Nzxt S340, no hdd cages, no odd.
Old December 19, 2018, 11:08 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

the Asrock ITX boards rock.

what CPU? AMD or Intel?
Old December 19, 2018, 12:22 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lpfan4ever View Post
I toyed with the idea of ITX for a while, but in the end the compromise for a gaming rig with proper cooling was just too much. I went mATX instead and that gives you good case choices for small, medium, full size, whatever. I've got an Arc Midi R2, as I needed the triple rad support for my existing WC hardware. There's tons of smaller options that'll take at least a 120mm AIO like the Fractal Design Define Mini C, NZXT H400i, Phanteks Enthoo Evolv.
You didn't think the choices for a mATX mobo was pretty bad? For AM4, it's almost nonexistent unless you are okay going with a B450 mobo. I'm not sure about Intel...maybe it's a bit better for CL boards?