Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 9, 2018, 09:54 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Thumbs up Quiet Mid-Tower ATX, Beast Gaming/Work Case w/ Front Connections?

Quietest mid-tower ATX with front connections recommendations? (I don't mean "my HAFX is pretty quiet when I'm not gaming" but a case specifically designed for quietness, please.)

Started with Corsair 330R (any colour) but they are out of stock which would delay the build. A few other potentials seem out of stock or discontinued as well.

Found be quiet! Pure Base 600 models in stock, but a slight niggle is "supports video cards up to 425mm long, but video cards over 280mm may block drive bays. Since the MSI - GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB DUKE Video Card is 314mm long, some drive bays may not be usable." from pcpartpicker.com. I'd rather not lose access to all the bays.

SPCR not as active as it used to be, but I may have overlooked something. Most I saw have top connections, anything else I might look at?
Cooler Master HAF X - Thermaltake Toughpower W0178RU 850W - GIGABYTE G1.Assassin - Intel Core i7 930 - Noctua NH-U12P SE2 - Kingston Hyper X Red 1600 4x4GB - 2 X SAMSUNG DVD Burner SH-S223L LightScribe - WD1001FALS 1TB - Seagate ST2000DM001 - Samsung S27D360 - Thermaltake Tt eSPORTS CHALLENGER Keyboard - Alienware TactX - Win 7 Professional x64

Last edited by eunoia; December 9, 2018 at 10:12 PM.
Old December 10, 2018, 10:30 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Look in to Fractal Design cases. They have a number of cases available that support full hardware layouts, AND they line most of their cases with sound dampening material. Just steer clear of anything with a glass side as it will obviously not dampen sound from that side. I think the 'Define' series would suit you if you don't mind a door in from that closes to cover the ports when not in use. If not, they have other options.
Old December 10, 2018, 05:18 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks, added no window Define R5 to the mix.
Cooler Master HAF X - Thermaltake Toughpower W0178RU 850W - GIGABYTE G1.Assassin - Intel Core i7 930 - Noctua NH-U12P SE2 - Kingston Hyper X Red 1600 4x4GB - 2 X SAMSUNG DVD Burner SH-S223L LightScribe - WD1001FALS 1TB - Seagate ST2000DM001 - Samsung S27D360 - Thermaltake Tt eSPORTS CHALLENGER Keyboard - Alienware TactX - Win 7 Professional x64
Old December 10, 2018, 08:14 PM
F@H

My System Specs

With the be quiet! I think you'd only lose the 1 or 2 drive bays by your GPU, depending where it lines up to.

The Phanteks P400S (Phanteks Innovative Computer Hardware Design) has sound dampening as well. Obviously the solid panel would be best, second choice would be glass.

I'm not sure you need a case designed for silence anymore though. Pretty much all of them have vibration reducing mounts for HDD's. The PSU section usually has rubber mount points. Basically anything that would cause vibrations is sitting on rubber already.

No case includes high-quality fans, so you'll likely be changing those out regardless. That's where you'll gain most of your silence, and mount them with rubber pegs instead of screws. Likewise, make sure the heatsink or AIO you buy has silent fans as well. Modern PSU's generally don't even run their fan at low load, so that would help too.

A 2080 Ti is hot and going to make noise as the fan speed ramps up. Sound dampening panels aren't going to do much there, especially since you'll need more of the fan openings occupied in order to keep it cool, thus letting noise out anyhow.

If you really want silence while gaming, you'd have to do custom watercooling with a lot of radiator space so that you could run low speed fans. My setup doesn't change in loudness when gaming.
Old December 10, 2018, 10:30 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks, drilling into smaller comparative details, but this sound advice (ha!) helps me to not lose sight of the bigger picture. We may go with top connections after all and not worry too much about losing 2 out of 6-8 bays which would open up the case choices considerably. Noctua ULN fans have been suggested by a builder. The PSU will be a Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 850W for a system with an initial config around 425W.
Old December 26, 2018, 11:22 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

My suggestion to the OP is this one:
https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produc...82E16811352085
No window version. No idea on how 'silent' it is but it looks like it gets good reviews.

Tags
gaming , mid-tower , quiet